16m Mastair session 1/1/03 Huntington Bch, Calif.

  • Deon <deon@thatdeonguy.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      Happy New Year to all the regulars here @ kitesurf@yahoogroups!

      I just wanted to share a session yesterday that was incredible.
      I really like to kite or surf or snowboard on News Years Day.
      Two years ago (2001) I had a great session at Seal Beach
      (only kite on the water. 9.4m Windtools Mossy. 11mph wind speed)
      Yesterday was beautiful here in Southern California (did you see the
      rose parade?)
      The only problem was Gusty OFFshore Winds (Santa Ana winds)
      NOT GOOD FOR KITING!
      During the day I spent some time repairing the bar on my Flysurfer
      Mastair16.
      All the while watching the wind continue offshore just 4 miles from
      the coast.
      I tell the wife and kids that I am going to the beach just to test the
      bar."I won't even get in the water," I tell them.
      On the four-mile journey to the beach it looks like the wind has died
      altogether.
      Just as I reach PCH I notice that there is a little ONshore Breeze.
      I say to myself with only about an hour and a half of daylight left.
      IT'S WINDY ENOUGH to get in the water!
      Well it is just barely windy enough to get out through the head high
      surf.
      Once outside I can pickup board speed and just cruise upwind.
      The sun is setting behind Catalina Island; the breeze is still blowing
      at about 8mph.
      The swell is head high… I know because I got pulled through the face
      of a wave that I couldn't see over. I was really underpowered but
      timed the upsweep of the kite to pull me through and out the back of a
      standing wave face.
      For all you surfers out there…
      This is a sensation that has to be experienced!!!!

      I saw on the beach a 16 meter Naish X2.
      I am crushing in and out of the impact zone between sets.
      This poor soul is getting worked in the shore break.
      Then… crashes the kite.

      I am feeling so alive… the cold water…, the wind still blowing…,
      the colors of the sky.
      I time my last ride to shore with the sun setting, riding the silky
      smooth water between big wave sets .
      Landing the kite just as the wind quits and rolling things up in the
      orange and red twilight.

      Happy New Years To All Who Live To Fly Over The Water

      Deon Aumaier
      Spokesman SCKA
      Past President SCKA
      www.scka.org
    • andres_santacruz <andysantacruz@hotmail.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2003
        Very cool, thanks for sharing it man, i can relate to your
        experience, mid december i was kiting in wind of about 10-15 knots
        with my 12.5 psycho in playa del carmen mexico, with crystal clear
        water and a white sand bottom, onshore winds, cruising parallel to
        the beach, i kited for 3 hours until the sun set, just such a cool
        experience, one good session can really make you forget all the times
        the wind has died on you, or you haven't been able to get out for
        some reason or another!
        Happy new year to everyone, may this year bring success in everything
        you do, and lots of wind!!
        Andres Santacruz