Re: Kiteboarding Mag Attitude Problem

  • cummins_s <cummins_s@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
      Could you please list some good sites to download the educational
      videos?

      Thanks.

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony <captain1@i...>"

    • Greg Walsh <Greg.Walsh@bigpond.com>
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
        The anti-Kiteboarding Mag post looks like a repost of an earlier
        message. I don't know if it is worth addressing at length. We've
        already ascertained that quite a few people don't like the magazine.
        There are plenty of much better mags for a bit of an entertaining
        read.

        I have to say that the videos I've bought are pretty similar in style
        to Kiteboarding Mag (PowerZone 1 and 2, Air Sickness, Strung Out).

        I like the Euro style magazines and I would love to see a good Euro
        style video. Better visuals, better music, a bit more soul.

        Regards

        Greg
      • John Penxa <johnpenxa@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003
          Jim,

          Please take you witch hunt else where.

          Btw: The industry's targeted market is Skateboarders, Wake boarders
          and Snowboarders.

          Have you taken a look at a typical mag from any one of these
          sports??? If you have not, please do, only then will you fully
          understand how ALL of your points are moot!

          Like it or not, KB is effectively marketing to a targeted
          demographic!!!

          Jim, while you appear to be well written, however your points
          couldn't hold LESS merit and or value. In case you were not aware
          Being 'well writen' and making a point that acutely holds merit are
          two entirely different issues.

          Naish said it in 2001. Kitesurfing, is absolutely the wrong sport
          for 99% of the worlds population. Please follow Naish's words of
          wisdom and re-join the community you belong to.

          Thanks!

          jp

          <jimhartnett45@y...>"

        • music642000 <srl@ihug.com.au>
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003
            John,
            they might be targetiing a certain demographic but that doesn't mean
            they are targeting the right one. From what I've seen at the local
            sites here there are more women and older guys kitesurfing than
            skateboarders and young 'dudes'. Maybe they need to do a bit more
            market research as the demographic for the average kitesurfer is
            changing as it becomes more popular. If it's the wrong sport for 99%
            of the population then Naish wouldn't be making much money and the
            sport wouldn't be as popular as it is becoming.
            Scott

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "John Penxa <johnpenxa@h...>"

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003
              Scott,

              That's a REALLY good point and question to pose to the marketing and
              advertising folks at Naish! :-)

              cheers

              jp

            • theflyingtinman <thorpes@arklogic.com>
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 3, 2003
                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "John Penxa <johnpenxa@h...>" <johnpenxa@h...> wrote:
                > Scott,
                >
                > That's a REALLY good point and question to pose to the marketing and
                > advertising folks at Naish! :-)
                >
                > cheers
                >
                > jp
                >

                > > If it's the wrong sport for 99%
                > > of the population then Naish wouldn't be making much money and the
                > > sport wouldn't be as popular as it is becoming.
                > > Scott

                Huh? ... the world has a population of around 6.3 billion ... I think
                Naish's marketing and advertising folks should be capable of grabbing
                a big enough enough market share out of the 63 millon people they
                didn't exclude ;-)

                Steve T.
              • dontbuyarcs <imintheusagain@hotmail.com>
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 3, 2003
                  Hi Guys,
                  Heres another 2 cents.
                  when was the last time you looked in any magazine and saw your
                  average joe somebody in his budgie smugglers smiling at the camera.
                  When did you last see an average looking individual on the cover of
                  cosmopolitan magazine.

                  Unfortunately aesthetics as it is commonly known as is the heart and
                  soul of the advertising world. Magazines only became seperate from
                  newspapers in the early days because of advertising restrictions.

                  It really pisses me off to hear males batting for women on the
                  sexism issue. I am not saying it should be done but I think there is
                  a fair bit of eye candy for women at any good kiteboarding location.
                  So why not in a kiteboarding magazine. Oh yeah did I mention sex
                  sells?

                  Ok So i'll try and sum up what you want:
                  1: A magazine that agrees with your opinions on the equipment
                  reviews of all thier products.
                  2: A magazine with no witty slogans
                  3: An uninthusiastic editor
                  4: A magazine filled with pictures of middle aged men and women
                  landing thier first backloops.

                  And what the fuck is wrong with wearing board shorts over your
                  wetsuit. Sounds to me like you are subscribing to the same morals as
                  you quite obviously detest. In my opinion you can kiteboard in
                  whatever you want as long as you are safe.

                  Now you have got me all pissed off and have clouded the issue with
                  bullshit. The real issue is not sexism or pants over your wetsuit or
                  helmet man its safety. Ignoring safety will get you killed sexism at
                  worst will get you a good slap in the face. I am disgusted to see
                  that at the beginning of ever kiteboarding magazine on the first
                  page these words do ot appear.

                  ATTENTION ALL KITEBOARDERS AND PROSPECTIVES.
                  KITEBOARDING IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND SHOULD ONLY BE UNDERTAKEN IN
                  LOCATIONS WHERE IT IS LEGAL TO KITEBOARD, BY INDIVIDUALS WITH THE
                  CORRECT KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY. ALL KITEBOARDERS FEATURED IN THIS
                  MAGAZINE ARE PROFESSIONALS AND HAVE ONLY GOT THIS WAY THROUGH
                  LEARNING IN THE PROPER MANNER. IF YOU ARE KITEBOARDING AMONGST OTHER
                  KITEBOARDERS YOU MUST WEAR A KITE LEASH. FAILURE TO WEAR A LEASH CAN
                  LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO ANALYSE A KITEBOARDING LOCATION CORRECTLY
                  CAN LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO CONSTANTLY ANALYSE CHANGING WEATHER
                  PATTERNS CAN LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO WEAR ADEQUATE FLOTATION AND
                  IMPACT PROTECTION DEVICE CAN LEAD TO DEATH. IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE
                  CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL FOR ADVICE ON LESSONS AND TRAINING BEFORE
                  ATTEMPTING THIS SPORT. YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO INVESTIGATE WHAT
                  INSURANCE IS AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA TO GUARD AGAINST THIRD PARTY
                  PERSONAL AND PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY. THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN
                  INJURING OR KILLING YOURSELF IS INJURING OR KILLING SOMEONE ELSE. IF
                  YOU SEE ANOTHER KITEBOARDER DOING SOMETHING YOU DEEM DANGEROUS GO
                  AND OFFER ASSISTANCE. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

                  Now all that jibbering and I hope I got the message through and all
                  you people see the real picture. We can not stop everyone from
                  buying a kite, not getting a lesson and going out and doing the
                  kiteboarding world and themselves an injustice by having an
                  accident. Next time you have something pertinent to add to the forum
                  don't cloud it with sexist, opinionated propaganda. Who knows I
                  might just agree with you.

                  DRO.
                • kiteboard2000 <kiteboarder@pacbell.net>
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 6, 2003
                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "dontbuyarcs <imintheusagain@h...>"
                    <imintheusagain@h...> wrote:

                    > The real issue is not sexism or pants over your wetsuit or
                    > helmet man its safety...
                    > THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN
                    > INJURING OR KILLING YOURSELF IS INJURING OR KILLING SOMEONE ELSE.
                    IF
                    > YOU SEE ANOTHER KITEBOARDER DOING SOMETHING YOU DEEM DANGEROUS GO
                    > AND OFFER ASSISTANCE. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

                    Well put. So how do the other supposedly superior magazines rate on
                    the safety issues?

                    Mel