Re: Kite Classification Proposition - to Steve

  • Greg Walsh <Greg.Walsh@bigpond.com>
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Frank <pf@4...>" <pf@4...>
      wrote:

      snip

      > In windsurfing we don't have any classification of sails, even
      though

      snip

      Windsurfing does classify sails:

      race
      slalom
      wave-slalom
      wave
      convertible

      and a few hybrids of the above with some cam/no-cam variations. Add
      the size and some advice from stores and magazines etc and you get a
      good idea of what the sail is for and how it will perform.

      Kites are little similar in that you have:
      2-line
      4-line low AR
      4-line high AR

      Add the flat area and some marketing background and you have a pretty
      good idea of what a kite is and how it is likely to perform in a
      given situation.

      You could replace AR with a performance designation like "high
      performance" or "wake style" or whatever. You still get an idea of
      what the kite is supposed to handle like. That's the job of the
      stores and magazines and this group to add experience and knowledge
      in interpreting the bull.

      The situation is the same in paragliding. A DHV 1-2 or DHV 2 rating
      is not an absolute measure of the suitability of a wing for a given
      pilot. You have to ask your local dealer and take a few test flights
      and scour the web for knowledge.

      Regards

      Greg
    • Peter Frank <pf@4u.net>
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Walsh <Greg.Walsh@b...>"
        <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:
        > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Frank <pf@4...>" <pf@4...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > snip
        >
        > > In windsurfing we don't have any classification of sails, even
        > though
        >
        > snip
        >
        > Windsurfing does classify sails:
        >
        > race
        > slalom
        > wave-slalom
        > wave
        > convertible
        >
        > snip
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Greg

        Yep - but classified in exactly the same (very simple) way as
        kitesurfer kites are now.
        Not in numbers nor detailed topics, as the original posting was about.

        :-) Peter