Re: Kiteboarding Mag Attitude Problem

  • kiteterminator <Terminator@windjunky.com>
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
      -> free speech. If you dont like it, dont buy it.

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "jimhartnett45 <jimhartnett45@y...>"

    • Stuart Morrison <stuartcmorrison@hotmail
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
        A commercial magazines' sole purpose is to make money & in doing so
        it only has to satisfy two groups. The first is the shareholders, in
        this case World Publications & as long as the expected profit is
        being made they won't get involved. The second group is the
        advertisers. In return for chucking money at a publication
        advertisers not only want there agreed ad, placed in the most ideal
        location, they also want good reviews on there products.

        If you want honest product reviews then talk to people who have
        bought & used the kit you're asking about & who have nothing to gain
        by saying good things, this group & groups like it are ideal.

        If you really want to change this mag then don't buy it, if enough
        people feel the same way then things will change... Its simple
        economics.

        Cheers, Stuart.

        BTW. for the record we don't get this mag in the UK.
      • Anthony <captain1@iname.com>
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
          Jim,

          I dont even see why you sould want to buy the magazine at all. I have
          eventually found that the magazine is definitly not worth my ten
          bucks! The gear reviews are really late - I can read about the latest
          kites here and even see them on my beaches (Australia) before
          Kiteboarding has a review. Even then their reviews seem a little
          biased.

          And tricks...... shit with some of the tricks these days a photo
          sequence is really not worth a lot. First picture he is heelside.
          Next picture he is in the air backwards. What the F$ck happened in
          between?? Oh there is a caption lets read it. It has words that I
          never heard of "tantrum", "KGB", etc...... If I go from heal side to
          a tantrum then it would generally involve me falling to the ground
          and pounding my fists on the floor while screaming. I know these
          pro's are brats, but how do they do this then end up in the air??

          You wanna learn tricks - then get videos. There are plenty of free
          ones on the net. These you can run in slow motion on your PC and see
          exactly what is happening. Way more instructional than the "picture
          out-of-sequence"

          For the rest of the mag - well I dont want to spend $10 just to read
          ads or lame editorial bullshit. Use the money more wisely and buy a
          McDonald meal - at least you get to enjoy it twice!

          Cheers

          Anthony

        • cummins_s <cummins_s@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
            Could you please list some good sites to download the educational
            videos?

            Thanks.

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony <captain1@i...>"

          • Greg Walsh <Greg.Walsh@bigpond.com>
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
              The anti-Kiteboarding Mag post looks like a repost of an earlier
              message. I don't know if it is worth addressing at length. We've
              already ascertained that quite a few people don't like the magazine.
              There are plenty of much better mags for a bit of an entertaining
              read.

              I have to say that the videos I've bought are pretty similar in style
              to Kiteboarding Mag (PowerZone 1 and 2, Air Sickness, Strung Out).

              I like the Euro style magazines and I would love to see a good Euro
              style video. Better visuals, better music, a bit more soul.

              Regards

              Greg
            • John Penxa <johnpenxa@hotmail.com>
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003
                Jim,

                Please take you witch hunt else where.

                Btw: The industry's targeted market is Skateboarders, Wake boarders
                and Snowboarders.

                Have you taken a look at a typical mag from any one of these
                sports??? If you have not, please do, only then will you fully
                understand how ALL of your points are moot!

                Like it or not, KB is effectively marketing to a targeted
                demographic!!!

                Jim, while you appear to be well written, however your points
                couldn't hold LESS merit and or value. In case you were not aware
                Being 'well writen' and making a point that acutely holds merit are
                two entirely different issues.

                Naish said it in 2001. Kitesurfing, is absolutely the wrong sport
                for 99% of the worlds population. Please follow Naish's words of
                wisdom and re-join the community you belong to.

                Thanks!

                jp

              • music642000 <srl@ihug.com.au>
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003
                  John,
                  they might be targetiing a certain demographic but that doesn't mean
                  they are targeting the right one. From what I've seen at the local
                  sites here there are more women and older guys kitesurfing than
                  skateboarders and young 'dudes'. Maybe they need to do a bit more
                  market research as the demographic for the average kitesurfer is
                  changing as it becomes more popular. If it's the wrong sport for 99%
                  of the population then Naish wouldn't be making much money and the
                  sport wouldn't be as popular as it is becoming.
                  Scott

                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "John Penxa <johnpenxa@h...>"

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003
                    Scott,

                    That's a REALLY good point and question to pose to the marketing and
                    advertising folks at Naish! :-)

                    cheers

                    jp

                  • theflyingtinman <thorpes@arklogic.com>
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 3, 2003
                      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "John Penxa <johnpenxa@h...>" <johnpenxa@h...> wrote:
                      > Scott,
                      >
                      > That's a REALLY good point and question to pose to the marketing and
                      > advertising folks at Naish! :-)
                      >
                      > cheers
                      >
                      > jp
                      >

                      > > If it's the wrong sport for 99%
                      > > of the population then Naish wouldn't be making much money and the
                      > > sport wouldn't be as popular as it is becoming.
                      > > Scott

                      Huh? ... the world has a population of around 6.3 billion ... I think
                      Naish's marketing and advertising folks should be capable of grabbing
                      a big enough enough market share out of the 63 millon people they
                      didn't exclude ;-)

                      Steve T.
                    • dontbuyarcs <imintheusagain@hotmail.com>
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 3, 2003
                        Hi Guys,
                        Heres another 2 cents.
                        when was the last time you looked in any magazine and saw your
                        average joe somebody in his budgie smugglers smiling at the camera.
                        When did you last see an average looking individual on the cover of
                        cosmopolitan magazine.

                        Unfortunately aesthetics as it is commonly known as is the heart and
                        soul of the advertising world. Magazines only became seperate from
                        newspapers in the early days because of advertising restrictions.

                        It really pisses me off to hear males batting for women on the
                        sexism issue. I am not saying it should be done but I think there is
                        a fair bit of eye candy for women at any good kiteboarding location.
                        So why not in a kiteboarding magazine. Oh yeah did I mention sex
                        sells?

                        Ok So i'll try and sum up what you want:
                        1: A magazine that agrees with your opinions on the equipment
                        reviews of all thier products.
                        2: A magazine with no witty slogans
                        3: An uninthusiastic editor
                        4: A magazine filled with pictures of middle aged men and women
                        landing thier first backloops.

                        And what the fuck is wrong with wearing board shorts over your
                        wetsuit. Sounds to me like you are subscribing to the same morals as
                        you quite obviously detest. In my opinion you can kiteboard in
                        whatever you want as long as you are safe.

                        Now you have got me all pissed off and have clouded the issue with
                        bullshit. The real issue is not sexism or pants over your wetsuit or
                        helmet man its safety. Ignoring safety will get you killed sexism at
                        worst will get you a good slap in the face. I am disgusted to see
                        that at the beginning of ever kiteboarding magazine on the first
                        page these words do ot appear.

                        ATTENTION ALL KITEBOARDERS AND PROSPECTIVES.
                        KITEBOARDING IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND SHOULD ONLY BE UNDERTAKEN IN
                        LOCATIONS WHERE IT IS LEGAL TO KITEBOARD, BY INDIVIDUALS WITH THE
                        CORRECT KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY. ALL KITEBOARDERS FEATURED IN THIS
                        MAGAZINE ARE PROFESSIONALS AND HAVE ONLY GOT THIS WAY THROUGH
                        LEARNING IN THE PROPER MANNER. IF YOU ARE KITEBOARDING AMONGST OTHER
                        KITEBOARDERS YOU MUST WEAR A KITE LEASH. FAILURE TO WEAR A LEASH CAN
                        LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO ANALYSE A KITEBOARDING LOCATION CORRECTLY
                        CAN LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO CONSTANTLY ANALYSE CHANGING WEATHER
                        PATTERNS CAN LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO WEAR ADEQUATE FLOTATION AND
                        IMPACT PROTECTION DEVICE CAN LEAD TO DEATH. IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE
                        CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL FOR ADVICE ON LESSONS AND TRAINING BEFORE
                        ATTEMPTING THIS SPORT. YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO INVESTIGATE WHAT
                        INSURANCE IS AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA TO GUARD AGAINST THIRD PARTY
                        PERSONAL AND PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY. THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN
                        INJURING OR KILLING YOURSELF IS INJURING OR KILLING SOMEONE ELSE. IF
                        YOU SEE ANOTHER KITEBOARDER DOING SOMETHING YOU DEEM DANGEROUS GO
                        AND OFFER ASSISTANCE. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

                        Now all that jibbering and I hope I got the message through and all
                        you people see the real picture. We can not stop everyone from
                        buying a kite, not getting a lesson and going out and doing the
                        kiteboarding world and themselves an injustice by having an
                        accident. Next time you have something pertinent to add to the forum
                        don't cloud it with sexist, opinionated propaganda. Who knows I
                        might just agree with you.

                        DRO.
                      • kiteboard2000 <kiteboarder@pacbell.net>
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 6, 2003
                          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "dontbuyarcs <imintheusagain@h...>"
                          <imintheusagain@h...> wrote:

                          > The real issue is not sexism or pants over your wetsuit or
                          > helmet man its safety...
                          > THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN
                          > INJURING OR KILLING YOURSELF IS INJURING OR KILLING SOMEONE ELSE.
                          IF
                          > YOU SEE ANOTHER KITEBOARDER DOING SOMETHING YOU DEEM DANGEROUS GO
                          > AND OFFER ASSISTANCE. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

                          Well put. So how do the other supposedly superior magazines rate on
                          the safety issues?

                          Mel