Kiteboarding Mag Attitude Problem

  • jimhartnett45 <jimhartnett45@yahoo.co.uk>
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 31, 2002
      Kiteboarding Magazine and its editor, Ryan Riccitelli, seem to
      have an attitude problem. The "in your face" attempts to be super
      cool give kitesurfing a bad name and contribute to negative
      public perceptions of our sport.

      Case 1: Ryan seems obsessed by pornography. He feels
      compelled to ask almost every one of the "youth brigade"
      interviewees about pornography. eg Q to Garfield King (age 14):
      [Which do you prefer] "Stuff or Penthouse?" Funny huh? Pretty
      cool? Does implicit (even attempted humourous) endorsement
      of pornography to minors cross a legal boundary? Similar
      questions abound in previous issues. Do questions like this
      help to make the female readership feel comfortable? Does it
      help to dispel the macho image of Kitesurfing and attract women
      kitesurfers?

      Case 2: A recent issue of Kiteboarding Mag featured a picture of
      an obese kitesurfer wearing a helmet with a large caption:"Don't
      Be a Helmet." The juxtaposition was clearly disparaging the man
      featured in the photograph in particular and the wearing of a
      helmet in general. All other photos in the magazine showed
      muscled athletic kitesurfers generally wearing no safety
      precautions (helmets, leashes, impact vests). It was no
      coincidence that only one photo displayed an obese, unfit
      middle-aged man in an unflattering pose wearing a HELMET.
      "Kiteboarding Mag" tried desperately to backtrack in its Jan 2003
      edition by describing the poor man featured as a "cool guy that I
      met in Texas who was learning to kite." Maybe the mag decided
      to call the poor man "cool" because he was threatening to sue
      their pants off. The editorial attempts at justification were sad
      and bordered on the ridiculous. Ryan admits he was equating
      the word "helmet" with "dick" (as in dickhead) but then tries to
      say he wasn't making fun of helmets.... Go figure.

      Case 3: In its attempts to be super cool, KB Mag places little
      emphasis on safety. Few articles focus specifically on safety.
      Virtually no riders are shown wearing safety leashes or helmets.

      Case 4: Ryan slams the kiteboarding "underworld" that exists in
      internet e-groups and chat rooms. He may have a point when he
      says "many of these cyber-kite-boarders spend their spare time
      dissecting and analyzing our sport while the rest of us are on the
      water progressing....oftentimes the people who answer the qs
      are not qualified to respond." Yeh, these things may be true. But
      these e-groups can be helpful (eg the Airush forum- does have a
      few kooks, but is generally helpful). They also enable issues like
      the attitude problem of Kiteboarding Mag to be aired without
      editorial censorship or a ridiculous spin being put on the letters.

      There is a perception that many kiteboarders have a bad attitude.
      Contributing to this perception are irresponsible safety practices,
      injuries to innocent bystanders, countless rider injuries and an
      escalating death toll. There is a distinct subculture in kitesurfing
      which espouses an "in your face" two-fingered-saluting,
      trash-talking, board-short over wetsuit and penis obsessed
      macho dickhead mentality. Kiteboarding Mag is in the vanguard.
      It is the irresponsible, selfish, in-your-face kitesurfer who is
      contributing to kitesurfing being banned from beaches around
      the world.

      In a larger geopolitical climate, there is a perception in some
      parts of the world that the Western World is decadent, insensitive
      to other cultures, and culturally imperialistic. It is the in-your-face
      aggressive macho/porno better-than-you image promoted by
      organisations like Kiteboarding Mag which may help reinforce
      this misconception.

      Having said all of that, I'll still be buying the Mag. There is
      enough good stuff (eg location and gear reviews, trick
      sequences) to keep me coming back for more. Nevertheless,
      let's get real. We kitesurf because we love it; we love the wind,
      the water, the sensation of surging through the air and water
      carried on a wind borne wing. I listen to JS Bach and wear a
      helmet and leash; I try to be careful of and respectful of other
      water users. I don't need to read pornography, trash talk, 2-finger
      salute and disparage others to have fun on the water.

      POSTING NUMBER 2:

      Let's not let KB Mag or Ryan Riccitelli off the hook. There are
      problems which should be addressed:

      1] Ryan's pornocentric interviews to minors.
      2] Ryan's general obsession with pornography eg Continual
      references to Penthouse
      3] Sexism and objectification of women eg Cyber Cindy photos. A
      posting on www.kiteforum.com indicates women DO feel
      uncomfortable about KB Mag's soft porn sexism.
      4] Please tell me the "Cyber Cindy" photo in the Jan 2003 issue
      shows a girl over the age of 18. She certainly looks younger; it
      would be sick and legally dubious if, as I suspect, Ryan has
      published a picture of a teenager in a suggestive pose for the
      average 30yo readership to ogle.
      5] There is a distinct "better than you" in your face attitude
      promoted by KB Mag and Ryan. The "Don't be a Helmet" article
      was clearly disparaging the obese man in the photo and the
      wearing of helmets in general. Ryan's attempts at justification
      WERE sad and bordered on the ridiculous. Subsequently
      describing the poor guy featured as "some cool guy" was a
      virtual admission of guilt. What makes a guy "cool?" "Coolness"
      implies trendiness and acceptance by the clique. We don't know
      anything about the poor man featured other than the fact that he
      is obese, middle-aged, and DOESN'T fit KB's prevailing image of
      "cool" because he is wearing a helmet, impact vest, seat
      harness, and is striking an unflattering pose.
      6] There is a brown-nosing side to the Mag which is regrettable.
      eg The "readers' poll" of favourite kitesurfers which simply
      seemed like Ryan's attempts to suck up to a certain clique of
      American riders. Why wasn't Mark Shinn featured? Surely
      Americans are not so insular as to exclude a rider of Shinn's
      calibre simply because he is not American? The top 10 thing
      seemed symptomatic of Ryan's immaturiy and KB's attempts at
      ingratiation and a reflection of insularity.
      7] There is minimal focus on safety. There is a subtle
      encouragement of unsafe practices in the photos. eg No
      leashes, no helmets, generally no impact vests.
      8] There IS a distinct subculture in Kitesurfing which thrives on
      trash-talking, arrogant, in-your-face, and antisocial behaviour.
      This subset is overly represented in injuries to themselves,
      bystanders, and damage to property. This subset is helping to
      bring kitesurfing into disrepute and contributing to bans. This
      drunken redneck trash-talking two-finger saluting attitude is
      encouraged by KB Mag in its syntax ("Dude" "Cool" "Don't be a
      helmet" "Penthouse" "Sick"), articles, attitude, and soft-porn
      focus.
      9] In a larger geopolitical context, we as kitesurfers, have a
      responsibility to our sport and our countries. Aggression,
      redneck sexism, poking fun at people who don't fit the image (eg
      obesity) is a bad reflection on Kitesurfing and the Western
      lifestyle. We probably should try to be sensitive to other people
      and cultures in this era; KB Mag's aggro macho porno insular
      attitude encourages misconceptions about the West and
      encourages immitation in an impressionable immature
      readership. I get angry with this arrogant
      in-your-face-better-than-you attitude, and I'm a Westerner who
      loves kitesurfing. Imagine the effect on a non-kitesurfer from
      another culture and country.
      10] For those who say we should "get a life" and stop
      complaining, that we should be kitesurfing rather than sitting at
      our computers... Fair point. But it doesn't blow all the time and it
      is possible to bring attention to issues like KB Mag's attitude
      which DO impact on our sport.

      Kiteboarding Mag and Ryan Riccitelli DO have a bad attitude.
      Some of the articles, gear and location reviews, even the ads,
      will keep me coming back for more. It is still possible to like the
      photos, ads, reviews etc, and be repulsed by the editorial
      shortcomings. I won't be voting with my wallet, I will be continue
      to buy the Mag, despite the sad editorial line. It is fair to say that
      there is considerable antagonism towards KB Mag because of
      its editorial line and attitude; it is probably fair to assume that a
      significant number of kitesurfers have vetoed the mag. It may be
      worthwhile informing the Mag's owners [World Publications] that
      their bottom line could be improved by a change of editor or
      editorial attitude. Similarly, it may be worth informing some of
      the advertisers (Naish, Wipika, Slingshot, North, Liquid Force,
      Pryde, Cabrinha, Flexifoil, Honda, JoJo, Flysurfer, NSI, Airush)
      that the redneck in-your-face aggro macho porno attitude
      espoused in the Mag reflects poorly on their product.
    • kiteterminator <Terminator@windjunky.com>
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
        -> free speech. If you dont like it, dont buy it.

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "jimhartnett45 <jimhartnett45@y...>"

      • Stuart Morrison <stuartcmorrison@hotmail
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
          A commercial magazines' sole purpose is to make money & in doing so
          it only has to satisfy two groups. The first is the shareholders, in
          this case World Publications & as long as the expected profit is
          being made they won't get involved. The second group is the
          advertisers. In return for chucking money at a publication
          advertisers not only want there agreed ad, placed in the most ideal
          location, they also want good reviews on there products.

          If you want honest product reviews then talk to people who have
          bought & used the kit you're asking about & who have nothing to gain
          by saying good things, this group & groups like it are ideal.

          If you really want to change this mag then don't buy it, if enough
          people feel the same way then things will change... Its simple
          economics.

          Cheers, Stuart.

          BTW. for the record we don't get this mag in the UK.
        • Anthony <captain1@iname.com>
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
            Jim,

            I dont even see why you sould want to buy the magazine at all. I have
            eventually found that the magazine is definitly not worth my ten
            bucks! The gear reviews are really late - I can read about the latest
            kites here and even see them on my beaches (Australia) before
            Kiteboarding has a review. Even then their reviews seem a little
            biased.

            And tricks...... shit with some of the tricks these days a photo
            sequence is really not worth a lot. First picture he is heelside.
            Next picture he is in the air backwards. What the F$ck happened in
            between?? Oh there is a caption lets read it. It has words that I
            never heard of "tantrum", "KGB", etc...... If I go from heal side to
            a tantrum then it would generally involve me falling to the ground
            and pounding my fists on the floor while screaming. I know these
            pro's are brats, but how do they do this then end up in the air??

            You wanna learn tricks - then get videos. There are plenty of free
            ones on the net. These you can run in slow motion on your PC and see
            exactly what is happening. Way more instructional than the "picture
            out-of-sequence"

            For the rest of the mag - well I dont want to spend $10 just to read
            ads or lame editorial bullshit. Use the money more wisely and buy a
            McDonald meal - at least you get to enjoy it twice!

            Cheers

            Anthony

          • cummins_s <cummins_s@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
              Could you please list some good sites to download the educational
              videos?

              Thanks.

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony <captain1@i...>"

            • Greg Walsh <Greg.Walsh@bigpond.com>
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                The anti-Kiteboarding Mag post looks like a repost of an earlier
                message. I don't know if it is worth addressing at length. We've
                already ascertained that quite a few people don't like the magazine.
                There are plenty of much better mags for a bit of an entertaining
                read.

                I have to say that the videos I've bought are pretty similar in style
                to Kiteboarding Mag (PowerZone 1 and 2, Air Sickness, Strung Out).

                I like the Euro style magazines and I would love to see a good Euro
                style video. Better visuals, better music, a bit more soul.

                Regards

                Greg
              • John Penxa <johnpenxa@hotmail.com>
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003
                  Jim,

                  Please take you witch hunt else where.

                  Btw: The industry's targeted market is Skateboarders, Wake boarders
                  and Snowboarders.

                  Have you taken a look at a typical mag from any one of these
                  sports??? If you have not, please do, only then will you fully
                  understand how ALL of your points are moot!

                  Like it or not, KB is effectively marketing to a targeted
                  demographic!!!

                  Jim, while you appear to be well written, however your points
                  couldn't hold LESS merit and or value. In case you were not aware
                  Being 'well writen' and making a point that acutely holds merit are
                  two entirely different issues.

                  Naish said it in 2001. Kitesurfing, is absolutely the wrong sport
                  for 99% of the worlds population. Please follow Naish's words of
                  wisdom and re-join the community you belong to.

                  Thanks!

                  jp

                • music642000 <srl@ihug.com.au>
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003
                    John,
                    they might be targetiing a certain demographic but that doesn't mean
                    they are targeting the right one. From what I've seen at the local
                    sites here there are more women and older guys kitesurfing than
                    skateboarders and young 'dudes'. Maybe they need to do a bit more
                    market research as the demographic for the average kitesurfer is
                    changing as it becomes more popular. If it's the wrong sport for 99%
                    of the population then Naish wouldn't be making much money and the
                    sport wouldn't be as popular as it is becoming.
                    Scott

                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "John Penxa <johnpenxa@h...>"

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003
                      Scott,

                      That's a REALLY good point and question to pose to the marketing and
                      advertising folks at Naish! :-)

                      cheers

                      jp

                    • theflyingtinman <thorpes@arklogic.com>
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 3, 2003
                        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "John Penxa <johnpenxa@h...>" <johnpenxa@h...> wrote:
                        > Scott,
                        >
                        > That's a REALLY good point and question to pose to the marketing and
                        > advertising folks at Naish! :-)
                        >
                        > cheers
                        >
                        > jp
                        >

                        > > If it's the wrong sport for 99%
                        > > of the population then Naish wouldn't be making much money and the
                        > > sport wouldn't be as popular as it is becoming.
                        > > Scott

                        Huh? ... the world has a population of around 6.3 billion ... I think
                        Naish's marketing and advertising folks should be capable of grabbing
                        a big enough enough market share out of the 63 millon people they
                        didn't exclude ;-)

                        Steve T.
                      • dontbuyarcs <imintheusagain@hotmail.com>
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 3, 2003
                          Hi Guys,
                          Heres another 2 cents.
                          when was the last time you looked in any magazine and saw your
                          average joe somebody in his budgie smugglers smiling at the camera.
                          When did you last see an average looking individual on the cover of
                          cosmopolitan magazine.

                          Unfortunately aesthetics as it is commonly known as is the heart and
                          soul of the advertising world. Magazines only became seperate from
                          newspapers in the early days because of advertising restrictions.

                          It really pisses me off to hear males batting for women on the
                          sexism issue. I am not saying it should be done but I think there is
                          a fair bit of eye candy for women at any good kiteboarding location.
                          So why not in a kiteboarding magazine. Oh yeah did I mention sex
                          sells?

                          Ok So i'll try and sum up what you want:
                          1: A magazine that agrees with your opinions on the equipment
                          reviews of all thier products.
                          2: A magazine with no witty slogans
                          3: An uninthusiastic editor
                          4: A magazine filled with pictures of middle aged men and women
                          landing thier first backloops.

                          And what the fuck is wrong with wearing board shorts over your
                          wetsuit. Sounds to me like you are subscribing to the same morals as
                          you quite obviously detest. In my opinion you can kiteboard in
                          whatever you want as long as you are safe.

                          Now you have got me all pissed off and have clouded the issue with
                          bullshit. The real issue is not sexism or pants over your wetsuit or
                          helmet man its safety. Ignoring safety will get you killed sexism at
                          worst will get you a good slap in the face. I am disgusted to see
                          that at the beginning of ever kiteboarding magazine on the first
                          page these words do ot appear.

                          ATTENTION ALL KITEBOARDERS AND PROSPECTIVES.
                          KITEBOARDING IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND SHOULD ONLY BE UNDERTAKEN IN
                          LOCATIONS WHERE IT IS LEGAL TO KITEBOARD, BY INDIVIDUALS WITH THE
                          CORRECT KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY. ALL KITEBOARDERS FEATURED IN THIS
                          MAGAZINE ARE PROFESSIONALS AND HAVE ONLY GOT THIS WAY THROUGH
                          LEARNING IN THE PROPER MANNER. IF YOU ARE KITEBOARDING AMONGST OTHER
                          KITEBOARDERS YOU MUST WEAR A KITE LEASH. FAILURE TO WEAR A LEASH CAN
                          LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO ANALYSE A KITEBOARDING LOCATION CORRECTLY
                          CAN LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO CONSTANTLY ANALYSE CHANGING WEATHER
                          PATTERNS CAN LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO WEAR ADEQUATE FLOTATION AND
                          IMPACT PROTECTION DEVICE CAN LEAD TO DEATH. IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE
                          CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL FOR ADVICE ON LESSONS AND TRAINING BEFORE
                          ATTEMPTING THIS SPORT. YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO INVESTIGATE WHAT
                          INSURANCE IS AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA TO GUARD AGAINST THIRD PARTY
                          PERSONAL AND PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY. THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN
                          INJURING OR KILLING YOURSELF IS INJURING OR KILLING SOMEONE ELSE. IF
                          YOU SEE ANOTHER KITEBOARDER DOING SOMETHING YOU DEEM DANGEROUS GO
                          AND OFFER ASSISTANCE. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

                          Now all that jibbering and I hope I got the message through and all
                          you people see the real picture. We can not stop everyone from
                          buying a kite, not getting a lesson and going out and doing the
                          kiteboarding world and themselves an injustice by having an
                          accident. Next time you have something pertinent to add to the forum
                          don't cloud it with sexist, opinionated propaganda. Who knows I
                          might just agree with you.

                          DRO.
                        • kiteboard2000 <kiteboarder@pacbell.net>
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 6, 2003
                            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "dontbuyarcs <imintheusagain@h...>"
                            <imintheusagain@h...> wrote:

                            > The real issue is not sexism or pants over your wetsuit or
                            > helmet man its safety...
                            > THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN
                            > INJURING OR KILLING YOURSELF IS INJURING OR KILLING SOMEONE ELSE.
                            IF
                            > YOU SEE ANOTHER KITEBOARDER DOING SOMETHING YOU DEEM DANGEROUS GO
                            > AND OFFER ASSISTANCE. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

                            Well put. So how do the other supposedly superior magazines rate on
                            the safety issues?

                            Mel