[ksurf] Re: Stoked

  • George Hradil
    Message 1 of 46 , Oct 31, 1999
      Here is my safety tip: Do not fly big kites on land. Especially, in high
      wind, particularly inland on turf. My belief is that beginners should
      learn to fly a small two line kite on land and then fly traction kites
      from the water where there are no obstructions downwind. It is much
      safer and easier to fly a traction kite while body dragging (use PFD)
      than when stationary on shore. The strong pull of the kite is mitigated
      by you motion downwind and if you get picked up the water is a soft
      landing.

      8 months ago I was flying a wipika 5.0 on a large inland athletic field
      in gusty winds (8 to 25 knots) I was occasionally picked off the ground
      with the kite in neutral position, eventually the situation got so out
      of hand that I intentionally released the bar to activate the safety
      release, unfortunately this only put the kite in a spiral and I was
      instantly pickup up and inverted and landed on my head fracturing my
      collar bone. I was then dragged at high speed 200 ft down the field
      towards a fence, fracturing a finger. Eventually the kite went down and
      I freed myself, my collar bone is still not completely healed.

      I don't fly power kites on land anymore and I mostly launch from the
      water with my kite weighted down on shore. Yes it is important for
      beginners to learn to pilot a kite but I would not advise an
      inexperienced person to practice on shore with a power kite as this is
      more dangerous and difficult than flying from the water.

      That my two cents worth, but right now its sunny and windy out and I
      have some new parafoils to try out.

      May the wind be at your back, George Hradil
    • Christian Polini mat.1296
      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 2, 1999
        Hello i'm a windsurfer and a new kitesurfer.
        I've to buy equipment but i think that i waiting next march...
        ...first because next 4 month in italy in too cold to learn kite
        and second because i think that next year the offert of material
        to kite increase:
        mistral will produce its kiteboard
        fanatic too
        art will produce wing
        ....and then ?
        Do you know other that will produce material for kitesurf ?
        Who ? When ? Price ?
        Can you tell me more information about ?
        Thank everybody can help me
        ALOHA

        Christian Polini
        e-mail: polini@...