[ksurf] Re: What about a C-Quad ??

  • Stephen McCormack
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 1999
      Hi Marc,
      C-Quads represent the best value for money as far as traction
      kites go, they have at least 1/3 more power than equivalent sized wipika
      style kites but are not re-launchable in deep water. They do have the best
      upwind performance though but require a high kiteflying skill level to
      prevent undesirable luffing.
      Many parafoils are available that are water re-launchable but most are more
      costly than c-quads, but they do approach the performance levels of c-quads.
      Naish/Wipika kites can perform well in the hands of experienced flyers and
      moderate upwind angles can be achieved with experience. Many of the jumps
      you see in videos and in magazines are possible with almost any style of
      kite but most flyers at present lack the skill/experience or appropriate
      gear to make the landing and keep kitesurfing without either rider and or
      kite crashing in the water.
      As in sailing a range of kites will be necessary to sail in all wind
      strengths, so a 6.3 will only work for you in light to medium winds
      depending on your weight.
      These are my opinions only and come from my personal experience and
      observations of kitesurfing. And
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      www.kitepoweraustralia.com
      kitepower@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 1999
        > As in sailing a range of kites will be necessary to sail in all wind
        > strengths, so a 6.3 will only work for you in light to medium winds
        > depending on your weight.

        Thanx for your advices !
        But for my weight (80 kg), I think it will be safer to use a large
        kite. Is it the good size or could I deacrease the sail's size ?
      • Stephen McCormack
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 1999
          I'm sure you will learn to use it within the wind range that you discover
          suits you, we were out last weekend and were wishing/looking for a 5M c-quad
          as we were getting a bit overpowered with the 6.3. It is important to be
          powered up for easy learning but the range for most high performance kites
          is around 10 knots, so sometimes you will become overpowered in gusty
          conditions, just take it high and hang on or use the standard safety system
          and let go:-) One kite will limit you, take care and