Noisy kite lines.

  • hardcarve1
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hi
      Have been using Q PowerLine for a year now and it's great except for
      the noise it makes. Make a whistle noise real bad, not that it
      bothers me. I just get ppl commenting on it all the time.
      Is this common with other users.
      Alex
    • Phil Jones
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
        Yep. Mine too! *I use a carbon bar and a sliding ring leash
        system. When standing around and depowered, the bar is rubbing
        against the rings and causes a vibration/high pitch "whine". So the
        pitch is actually a wind indicator for me. No noise..no go! Higher
        the pitch the better :)
      • theflyingtinman
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Phil Jones" <Phillip_Jones@t...> wrote:
          > Yep. Mine too! *I use a carbon bar and a sliding ring leash
          > system. When standing around and depowered, the bar is rubbing
          > against the rings and causes a vibration/high pitch "whine". So the
          > pitch is actually a wind indicator for me. No noise..no go! Higher
          > the pitch the better :)

          I use Q-Power too; I'd never noticed the noise (I guess my
          bar does not resonate) until one day I accidentally touched
          a front leader with my gath helmet - it scared the shite out
          of me! It sounds like the terrible high-pitched screech of
          some dying creature - and it's amplified real loud inside the
          helmet. Try it :-)

          I don't recall trying it on the rear lines but I guess it
          works best on fronts since they are under most tension.

          Steve T.
        • hardcarve1
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
            It happens on all my North kites 2001 12m,16m and now on my Rhino 2
            16m & 20m.
            I can't hear it when flying but everyone else does. I even changed
            line lengths on the weekend and it still pumps out the noise.
            Alex

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kite Power \(Sydney\)" <sydney@k...> wrote:
            > Do you fly Arcs? If not what sort of kite is it that you notice
            this noise
            > on?
            > I have only ever heard Arcs making any noise when flying?
          • callum_downie
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
              Maybe it's your bar? I have heard bars whistle before. Also in
              the 'old' days the occasional windsurf boom would whistle...

              What sort of bar are you using? it could be anyone of all of the
              components you use for a leash / depowering etc as well...

              2 friends that have the new gaastra kites with the gaastra bars have
              whistle effects as well...

              Callum

              --- In kitesurf@y..., "hardcarve1" <ajtaskov@o...> wrote:
              > It happens on all my North kites 2001 12m,16m and now on my Rhino 2
              > 16m & 20m.
              > I can't hear it when flying but everyone else does. I even changed
              > line lengths on the weekend and it still pumps out the noise.
              > Alex
              >

              > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kite Power \(Sydney\)" <sydney@k...> wrote:
              > > Do you fly Arcs? If not what sort of kite is it that you notice
              > this noise
              > > on?
              > > I have only ever heard Arcs making any noise when flying?
            • loco4viento
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
                Hi Steve,

                It's been a while and I hope you are doing better.

                I fly arcs and find the sound heavenly. However, if I record the
                sound from the lines and play it in reverse, it sounds like satanic
                verses.

                Not sure if this is useful, but it sure makes me afraid to set up
                my lines backwards.

                Cya and havefun,

                John
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kite Power \(Sydney\)" <sydney@k...> wrote:
                > Do you fly Arcs? If not what sort of kite is it that you notice this
                noise
                > on?
                > I have only ever heard Arcs making any noise when flying?
                > Cya and Goodwinds,
                > Steve McCormack
              • kiteboardingjapan
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "callum_downie" <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
                  > 2 friends that have the new gaastra kites with the gaastra bars
                  >have whistle effects as well...

                  Callum, totally unrelated to the original thread, but I've got a
                  warning I'd like you to pass onto your friends. I was given the
                  chance to test the new 12m Gaastra yesterday. I comented to the shop
                  owner who lent me the kite how weak the leash rings looked, and the
                  stitching above the depower strap. Fortunately for me (unfortunately
                  for my friend) my mate was "dying" to give the kite a go, so he went
                  out on it first while I was setting my own bar and lines out to use
                  with the kite. Less than 20 seconds after shooting out from the shore
                  the kite came crashing down, powered up, and crashed down again. This
                  continued with my friend being dragged closer and closer to a wall.
                  Thankfully he pulled the safety (I hope Gaastra are paying Wipika to
                  use their system), and wasn't injured. The stiching holding the non-
                  ringed front line had come undone, releasing the one front line. A
                  very dangerous situation to be in.

                  Callum, tell your friends to check or change this part of the bar.

                  And if there are any Gaastra people reading this...pull your finger
                  out!

                  Nick
                • hardcarve1
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
                    I use the old North control bar as do many other ppl at the beach and
                    they don't suffer from the problem.
                    Sitting at work here right now with plenty of time to think about
                    things I have come up with what may cause the noise.
                    Most lines that come with the kites are some what flat on two sides
                    but Q Power is round, this round profile even when twisted will
                    maintain the round profile along it's length. Lines that have flat
                    spots when twisted form a spiral twist which is the same as what you
                    see on exhaust flues in factories to equalize the air pressure on the
                    lee side. I would assume that the round Q Power lines vibrate much
                    more than flat line because of this aerodynamic imbalance.
                    Must stop now, it's medication time :)
                    Alex

                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "callum_downie" <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
                    > Maybe it's your bar? I have heard bars whistle before. Also in
                    > the 'old' days the occasional windsurf boom would whistle...
                  • monkeyair
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kite Power \(Sydney\)" <sydney@k...> wrote:
                      > Do you fly Arcs? If not what sort of kite is it that you notice this
                      noise
                      > on?
                      > I have only ever heard Arcs making any noise when flying?
                      ??????????????????????????????????????????????????? And in flying
                      flatulant pigs in your car I suppose?????????? PLEASEEEEEEEE!!!
                      I have only heard my arc making a sound once and that was when I
                      accidentaly left the rear filling shoot of the kite open at a football
                      game and the entire UCLA marching band was inadvertantly trapped and
                      flown in my kite for a week. It was the sounds of drums and tubas
                      that gave it away. The marching band appreciated the complementary
                      snack peanuts left in my arc and enjoyed the smooth ride in a luff
                      free kite. Be very carefull of accidentaly getting a punk rock band
                      stuck in your bladder kite as the safety pins in the noses and razor
                      wire tongue piercings can cause leakage. The colors of the punk
                      rockers hair, does add to the looks of the boring, ubiquitous
                      pumper,even if it is only over a bugy for effect. Polca bands refuse
                      to climb into kites as accordians cause large changes in interbladder
                      pressure and jelly fishing results. Q lines do buzz much more than a
                      thin line (even the heavy Dynema)(Larger diameter=more buzzing) when
                      wet, as when flying in thick fog or pea soup fog. Flying in alphabet
                      soup fog is a bit more enjoyable than pea soup fog by the way. It's
                      not green, and occasionally the leters get stuck on your lines and
                      form the word "BUZZ",or even less frequently in alphabet soup fog the
                      letters form the words "NICE DIG MC CORSHMUCK". Dirt tends to get
                      stuck to your lines when you shovel alot of ---t. Have Fun. Traig
                      PS. Loose flares on an underpowered F arc can make a flapping sound
                      like the jaws of a certain......
                      > Cya and Goodwinds,
                      > Steve McCormack
                      > 302 Grand Pde, Sans Souci, NSW
                      > tel: (02) 9529 6894
                      > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                      > Also at Coogee, and Geelong VIC
                      >
                      > Message: 21
                      > Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:45:50 -0000
                      > From: "hardcarve1" <ajtaskov@o...>
                      > Subject: Noisy kite lines.
                      >
                      > Hi
                      > Have been using Q PowerLine for a year now and it's great except for
                      > the noise it makes. Make a whistle noise real bad, not that it
                      > bothers me. I just get ppl commenting on it all the time.
                      > Is this common with other users.
                      > Alex
                    • abc123kite
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 3, 2002
                        I use the 16.5m' Gaastra. I dont know why, but my kite even in 25
                        knots (yes the kite can hold that wind and more) nothing happen to it
                        I am very pleased with the kite much better then the X2.