Stupid Stupid Mistake

  • richrdwest
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
      Today the wind was about the best it has been for a good while near
      my house in South Orange County California, and I was able to go out
      on my kite for the first time in about a month. It was side shore
      and just good enough to plain pretty well. Wow, I felt great! After
      about 1.5 hours I had blown downwind a bit to a pier near a good
      surf spot.

      That's when I got a great idea; I'll round the pier and "surf" the
      spot. Well that's when my good sense started to run out. As I neared
      the end of the pier, the wind started to lull a bit and I noticed
      that I had drifted pretty close to the pier. Which, by the way, had
      multiple people fishing, watching the ocean, etc. Instead of
      immediately turning the kite and heading back in to give myself more
      room, I tried to dive the kite again and to gain speed and clear the
      pier. The only problem was I was now too close. The leading edge
      line (it was a quad line kite) started to touch the pier and drag
      along the rail. As it did, it caught a 6-year-old girl by the neck.
      Thank God she immediately ducked down and the line continued on to
      hit two more people (at least they were adults). At this point I was
      dragged under the pier and pulled up out of the water where I was
      slammed onto one of the pilings. Since I was wearing a safety lease,
      the kite depowered on the pier (at least I was smart enough to do
      that).

      Deep breath.

      I then immediately swam to the side and asked if anybody was hurt.
      Thank God nobody was, in spite of my stupidity. Needless to say, as
      I did the swim of shame back to the beach, I was kicking myself. The
      lifeguards and people on the pier were much too nice about what I
      had done (they probably didn't realize the danger I had placed them
      in).

      In the end, the girl was shaken up, and unfortunately left with her
      parents (uninjured I was told) before I could offer my apologies.

      The moral of the story? Don't EVER kite too close to people, piers,
      etc. I stupidly didn't realize that the wind would change as I got
      closer to the pier. Please don't make the same mistake I did. One of
      my lines ended up being broken, and that was it. It could have been
      much worse. I know I learned my lesson.

      Richard
    • vide72au
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
        I think the moral of the story is not to get too close to anything down wind of
        you, unless you are super confident in the conditions of your ability, prepared
        to take a risk and suffer the consequences. As a general rule, you need to
        make the call and ditch your kite when you are 100+ feet from an obstacle
        otherwise you'll be in trouble. I constanly see people underpowered or
        overpowered right up on the edge of a road where I kite. Once you are that
        close you have no options. Ditch the kite well before once you have realised
        that you don't have the control or power that you need. It's a horrible and
        embarrising situation to be in when you are up against a wall with your kite
        having no where to go except over it.

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "richrdwest" <richrdwest@y...> wrote:
        > Today the wind was about the best it has been for a good while near
        > my house in South Orange County California, and I was able to go out
        > on my kite for the first time in about a month. It was side shore
        > and just good enough to plain pretty well. Wow, I felt great! After
        > about 1.5 hours I had blown downwind a bit to a pier near a good
        > surf spot.
        >
        > That's when I got a great idea; I'll round the pier and "surf" the
        > spot. Well that's when my good sense started to run out. As I neared
        > the end of the pier, the wind started to lull a bit and I noticed
        > that I had drifted pretty close to the pier. Which, by the way, had
        > multiple people fishing, watching the ocean, etc. Instead of
        > immediately turning the kite and heading back in to give myself more
        > room, I tried to dive the kite again and to gain speed and clear the
        > pier. The only problem was I was now too close. The leading edge
        > line (it was a quad line kite) started to touch the pier and drag
        > along the rail. As it did, it caught a 6-year-old girl by the neck.
        > Thank God she immediately ducked down and the line continued on to
        > hit two more people (at least they were adults). At this point I was
        > dragged under the pier and pulled up out of the water where I was
        > slammed onto one of the pilings. Since I was wearing a safety lease,
        > the kite depowered on the pier (at least I was smart enough to do
        > that).
        >
        > Deep breath.
        >
        > I then immediately swam to the side and asked if anybody was hurt.
        > Thank God nobody was, in spite of my stupidity. Needless to say, as
        > I did the swim of shame back to the beach, I was kicking myself. The
        > lifeguards and people on the pier were much too nice about what I
        > had done (they probably didn't realize the danger I had placed them
        > in).
        >
        > In the end, the girl was shaken up, and unfortunately left with her
        > parents (uninjured I was told) before I could offer my apologies.
        >
        > The moral of the story? Don't EVER kite too close to people, piers,
        > etc. I stupidly didn't realize that the wind would change as I got
        > closer to the pier. Please don't make the same mistake I did. One of
        > my lines ended up being broken, and that was it. It could have been
        > much worse. I know I learned my lesson.
        >
        > Richard
      • Ro
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
          If it helps I also have to confess myself on similar sin.

          I was solo-launching my kite with very strong and gusty winds at
          Tarifa. Far (but not far enough) from bystanders (I would say around
          30m to spare besides line length). With the rush of getting out the
          semi-crowded place I just did not double-check the lineknots which
          were tied backside-front.
          The kite whirled violently and took and old lady plus somebody which
          I could not see due to all the sand in my face.
          After recovering control with the kite crashed on the sand the
          aftermath was just some bruises on two people besides me. I really
          felt shamed and also felt that any apologies from me were just way
          ridiculous for all the mayhem and danger I put all the people in.
          Ther is absolutely no justification for doing what I did.
          I have been kitesurfing since 1998 and never had a single close
          encounter until this day.
          Over confidence dramatically erodes security.
          Since then I make sure to double check knots, try not to solo launch
          when it is not necessary and give twice as much security space as
          before.

          Good winds

          Rod

        • vytaspass
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
            After your sentence:

            "As it did, it caught a 6-year-old girl by the neck."

            I almost couldn't read on...geez. Stay away from hazards, people!

            Better a lull than a gust!

            www.chicagokitesurfing.com

          • theflyingtinman
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
              > After your sentence:
              >
              > "As it did, it caught a 6-year-old girl by the neck."
              >
              > I almost couldn't read on...geez. Stay away from hazards, people!

              I think that should read ...geez. Stay away from people, hazards! ;-)

              Steve T.
            • Kite Power (Sydney)
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
                Thanks for sharing your experience with us Richard, I wish more people would
                have the courage to do it.
                Wind can be affected by all sort of obstacles on land or over the water,
                even upwind of the structure.
                Even more so we must all start to think more in advance, make sure we have
                thought about "what if" before we launch at any spot, even the one you use
                all the time.
                Glad everyone survived in one piece Richard and look at the bright side you
                are a much better kiteflier through this experience.
                Cya and Goodwinds,
                Steve McCormack
                302 Grand Pde, Sans Souci, NSW
                tel: (02) 9529 6894
                http://www.kitepower.com.au
                Also at Coogee, and Geelong VIC

                Message: 12

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
                  I have to reply to this story. It seems to me that the
                  experienced/seasoned guys and girls are the ones getting into trouble
                  more and more due to confidence in their gear, skills and
                  conditions. It seems the more confident you are the more you will
                  push the limits. I have routinely bypassed sessions this past season
                  if conditions are not just right. I have really wanted to go
                  kitesurfing quite a few days but my experience (nearing 5 years) and
                  learning from other experienced/seasoned riders tragedies, incidents
                  and accidents have held me back.
                  I guess the moral of the pier story and quite a few of the recent
                  accidents recorded is to just avoid bad situations by always way
                  underestimating your skills, equipment, conditions and confidence
                  especially if you are an experienced/seasoned kitesurfer. But that's
                  just me and my take on things. I've only broken my leg once-shallow
                  flat water and big jumps ouch!-learned my lesson on that one.
                  Fly safe and have fun.

                • terminalveloce
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
                    I'm not normally into quotes, but this one seemed appropriate:

                    "If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so
                    much as to be out of danger."
                    Thomas Henry Huxley 1877

                    None of us are that good.

                  • Greg Walsh
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
                      Hi All

                      Last week Christian and I did an upwind run to a beach about 3km from
                      where we started. Conditions were a bit gusty and choppy with swells
                      around 1.5-2 metres.

                      On the way upwind Christian was a little close to the wall at the
                      marina. He would have got away with one tea-bagging but a second
                      bounce and he would have been over the rocks and on his way to being
                      a rigging ornament. Fortunately there was no problem and we continued
                      on our way. I was well out to sea as is my habit.

                      It was a major blast to be riding along side-by-side with kites
                      locked in and just blasting along the coast.

                      When we turned around I just sheeted in and flew downwind from wave-
                      top to wave-top. Big floaty levitations all the way home, often
                      skipping over the trough completely. I have never gone so fast in
                      such big swell conditions in 20 years of windsurfing. It was huge fun
                      and completely effortless.

                      The point of this is there is a whole world of kitesurfing fun to be
                      had out in deep water amongst the bigger swells away from hard stuff
                      and other people.

                      Regards

                      Greg

                      PS. I was using my Vector 11.5 and 195cm directional. Wind was around
                      20 knots cross-onshore (hence the ease of the upwind run).

                      Christian had a 12m Cabrinha and a directional with a broken fin.

                      PPS. My kite/board combination is faster than yours! Nyah!