Re: Best Sleeveing?

  • Greg Walsh
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Gunnar Westholm" <gunnar.westholm@c...> wrote:
      snip
      > I have now a flat type of sleeve (Pink and yellow) But I think
      round sleeve would protect better because it can roll on the lines so
      the steel edge can't cut through the sleeve, Is a easy thing to do
      but you have to use an extra long sleeveing tool,

      > I hope some one can tell me where to get the best round sleeving
      for this.

      > Best regards, Gunnar Westholm

      Buy some 2mm dyneema, spectra or kevlar rope and pull the core out
      and use that. Cut your sleeving to length with scissors or a knife
      then put a thick nail or skewer in the end and gently melt the cut
      end to stop fraying. Rotate the nail a little while doing it and you
      will end up with a slightly flared end on the sleeving. The flaring
      makes it easier to get the doubled over line into the sleeving.

      Do you need instructions on how to do the sleeving?

      Greg
    • hink_trent
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
        For sleeving I use some 80# braided dacron fishing line (from Gander
        Mountian if you are in the US). It is hollow in the middle with no
        core to remove and the center opens up fairly large when you compress
        the ends together.

        For the sleeving tool I just use a piece of wire bent in half.

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Gunnar Westholm" <gunnar.westholm@c...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm looking for the best sleeving to use on my lines to protect
        them from the edges of the skis,

      • dixon76710
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
          Probably a stupid question but, how do you get the edge of the skis
          into contact with your lines? How far up the lines? MARK

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Gunnar Westholm" <gunnar.westholm@c...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I'm looking for the best sleeving to use on my lines to protect
          them from the edges of the skis,

          > I had extra long leader lines on my handles before, But the knots
          just got tangled every time I unwinded the lines,

          > I have now a flat type of sleeve (Pink and yellow) But I think
          round sleeve would protect better because it can roll on the lines so
          the steel edge can't cut through the sleeve, Is a easy thing to do
          but you have to use an extra long sleeveing tool,

          > I hope some one can tell me where to get the best round sleeving
          for this.

          > Best regards, Gunnar Westholm

        • Kite Power (Sydney)
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
            HI Gunnar
            You do not need an extra long tool for the job you want to do, just use a
            "darning needle" or oversize sewing needle, blunt the sharp point first.
            You can buy sleeving in bulk from real kiteshops like Kitepower, windsurf
            based stores will be unlikely to stock this material.

            I prefer longish leaders, and you can make them uneven lengths to help deal
            with the knots, but keep the leaders in pairs, do not have 4 different
            length leaders.
            Short extensions can be fitted at the kite end to even up your lines again.

            Another much better alternative is to get new lines designed for use on the
            snow/water like Flexifoil Hydro line, or Q-Power lines.
            Cya and Goodwinds,
            Steve McCormack
            302 Grand Pde, Sans Souci, NSW
            tel: (02) 9529 6894