Re: self-landing

  • skipfrommichigan
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
      Thanks guys.

      I did not realize the helicopter effect you mentioned. I am lucky
      enough to launch and land with a large beach area. With the rear
      leash system in high winds - the kite does helicopter after I land
      it.

      I thought the rear v front leash system changes might have been
      based on patent issues - not advances in launch / landing abilities
      but I was incorrect.

      Skip
    • terminalveloce
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
        Hey Dave,
        I was landing to the right with the leash on my left line for a while
        without mishap. A good tug and the kit spun around nose down, very
        neat, as you say, until... Luckily light wind, but the kite did not
        depower properly due to lines getting snagged up at the kite (right
        side front line snagged on a left side pigtail, then the kite flipped
        backwards into the middle of the window and climbed back to 10-15m
        before propellering). It all happened very slowly due to the lack of
        wind, and I had room to run at the kite until it dropped, but it it'd
        been blowing it could've been untidy. The chances of having a
        similar mishap must be extremely remote, and maybe if it'd been windy
        it would've just pulled the snagged line clear immediately. It was
        probably lack of technique too!
        Pete

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "vide72au" <vide72au@y...> wrote:
        > Skip,
        >
        > you can self land neatly on the beach with the front line leash.
        Give the safety