Re: leash?front v back self land?

  • kite012
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "skipfrommichigan" <svschott@m...> wrote:
      > I use a bar that has the leash attached to the outside lines - to my
      > wrist. I do not like the idea of shackle riding - not for me.
      >
      > Some manufacturers have gone to leashes attached to the FRONT lines
      > running near the chicken loop. What is the advantages to running
      this
      > setup? AirRush patented their system (wrist - through the bar). Don
      > M/X2/Naish (front line near the loop) patented his system - is it a
      > patent matter or is it really beneficial to run a leash off the
      front
      > lines near the chicken loop? How the heck do you self land a
      > center/front line leash set up? I usually ride solo - so I have to
      > self land. Kite down near the shorebreak - crash it - and run to the
      > kite with the wrist leash deployed. Can you do the same thing with a
      > front line setup?
      >
      > Anyone that has used the frontline and rearline setup and can
      provide
      > insight would be appreciated.
      >
      > Skip

      Hi Skip,

      I use an X2 12m - I'm pretty much a beginner but I can
      let you know what I do. The leash attachment to the centre
      lines is a pretty good arrangement. The line attaches to
      your harness, so you have both hands free which I like.
      When the lines get twisted (after a jump plus spin), you
      can spin the bar to straighten the lines. However, the
      leash line will wrap around your chicken loop line. To free
      this, unhook, and rehook.

      The danger with the leash attachment to the front lines (and
      the Naish manual tells you this), is that if you get the leash
      attachment twisted or tangled up around where the leash connects
      to the front kite line, then when the bar is dropped the kite
      may not depower completely (or at all!. This is very real risk
      if you get sloppy with pre flight checks etc.

      In practice I find the system works
      very well. I've let go of the bar in 25 knots with the kite in
      the power zone - it depowers instantly, and spins a couple of
      times as it heads down. In terms of it being effective as a
      reride system, you can be lucky. Mostly I find the kite has
      death rolled once or twice when it depowers, so the front and back
      lines are twisted around each other (the kite still flies happily
      like this though - the handling is perhaps not as good). The
      problem area after a recovery on water is around the attachment
      between the front lines and the depower adjustment strap. This can
      get a bit tangled - you can't really gauge the extent till you
      hold the bar and the kite starts to fill and tension up the lines.

      I tend to fly solo - ie solo launches and landings. I mostly land
      the kite on shallow water - I fly it to the edge of the window, then
      turn it
      nose down for a gentle landing on the leading edge. Drop the bar, but
      keep the leash attachment connected to my harness. I work my way
      quickly along one line to grab the kite, and then wrap the lines onto
      the bar. If the kite powers up, I'm still attached via the safety
      leash.
      Avoiding tangles this way is pretty hard though. It seems to me
      that the only way to avoid line tangles in a solo landing
      is to take some risk and start winding the lines before the kite is
      secured.
      If the kite powers up early on in this procedure, this is very
      dangerous. Pretty easy to loose a finger this way!

      Flying with a friend who can catch your kite is a much better
      option of course.

      Steve
    • skipfrommichigan
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
        Thanks guys.

        I did not realize the helicopter effect you mentioned. I am lucky
        enough to launch and land with a large beach area. With the rear
        leash system in high winds - the kite does helicopter after I land
        it.

        I thought the rear v front leash system changes might have been
        based on patent issues - not advances in launch / landing abilities
        but I was incorrect.

        Skip
      • terminalveloce
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
          Hey Dave,
          I was landing to the right with the leash on my left line for a while
          without mishap. A good tug and the kit spun around nose down, very
          neat, as you say, until... Luckily light wind, but the kite did not
          depower properly due to lines getting snagged up at the kite (right
          side front line snagged on a left side pigtail, then the kite flipped
          backwards into the middle of the window and climbed back to 10-15m
          before propellering). It all happened very slowly due to the lack of
          wind, and I had room to run at the kite until it dropped, but it it'd
          been blowing it could've been untidy. The chances of having a
          similar mishap must be extremely remote, and maybe if it'd been windy
          it would've just pulled the snagged line clear immediately. It was
          probably lack of technique too!
          Pete

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "vide72au" <vide72au@y...> wrote:
          > Skip,
          >
          > you can self land neatly on the beach with the front line leash.
          Give the safety