[ksurf] Re: Self-launching Naish/Wipika kites

  • Robert Pratt
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 1999
      Hi chris,
      I'm a self launcher and heres how I do it: I inflate the kite and walk it to the water where I've already placed the board and bar. I attach the leash (board) then hook up the kite lines. I walk out into the water a short way and allow the kite to drift downwind. the lines are uneven by about 10ft (see the part where i land the kite). after the lines are out all the way I steer the kite to the edge of the window and up we go.

      when I'm done I land the kite in the water and wind the release side line about 6-7 times before i start winding them both togather. this keeps the kite depowered. It may take flight but will have little power and drop back to the water soon.

      This works best in sideshore conditions. I'm still unable to stay up wind, but I just got a naish board and cant wait to fly it!!!!!

      Hope this helps....bob
    • Antonio Lage
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 1999
        At 16:01 28-10-99 -0400, you wrote:
        > I walk out into the water a short way and allow the kite to drift
        downwind. the lines are uneven by about 10ft (see the part where i land the
        kite). after the lines are out all the way I steer the kite to the edge of
        the window and up we go.

        Hi Bob,

        I have used this method a few times (I too launch alone often) with bad
        results; maybe you can explain your solutions to these problems:
        Only works in very light wind. If there is any signficant tension in the
        lines they unwind in a caotic manner, even if I had pre-wound then very
        careully. I coult not hold the bar or got the lines tangled. I also had
        problems launching in a place where there is no shallow water and the
        caotic unwinding was worse because a could not try to correct.
        How do you wind the lines? My bar has 2 round "knobs" for windind.

        Thanks,
        Antonio
      • daniel.rey@ubs.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 1999
          Hello

          Thats exactly the same way I do it here in Switzerland. I'm always on a lake
          where's absolutely no place to start the Kite. So I swim with the Kite about 40
          metres in the water (sideshorewind) and let go the Kite!!

          Daniel Rey

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 1999
            I'm in shallow water. I don't think this would work in deep water as you'd get pulled way downwind as the lines unwind.
            as for the wind because I wind them so uneven the kite is depowered and although it still pulls like a mule, I unwind it slowly one knob at a time.
            Hope it helps. bob