KITE SIZES.

  • Rohin Edwards
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2002
      OK ALL U TECHO PROS OUT THERE,
      GOT A QUESTION THAT I AM HOPING I CAN RECIEVE ADVICE ON.
      I STARTED KITING IN PERTH AROUND FEB-MARCH THIS YEAR USING A WIPIKA NSK 6.5M (9.3 SQ.). I HAV BEEN USING A HAMEMADE PLY BOARD SAME SHAPE AS HAZMAT 160 LONG WITH FOOTSTRAPS. I WEIGH AROUND 90 KILOS NOW AND AM READY FOR THE CONVERSION TO 4-LINE AS THIS KITE IS SEMING QUITE SMALL FOR ME NOW.

      I CAN KEEP UPWIND JUST ABOUT WIITH A CONSTANT BREEZE AND HAVE SUSSED OUT THE KITE SKILLS (WELL TO A POINT) AND HAVE BOARD SKILLS FROM WAKEBOARDING AND WINDSURFING. I AM STARTING TO DO LITTLE JUMPS.

      OK SO I WANNA KEEP WITH MY BOARD OR MAYBE GO SMALLER AND WILL BE KITING IN THE RIVER AFTER WORK FROM 5:30-6 WHEN THE WIND IS STARTING TO LULL AT PELICAN POINT, AND THEN ON WEEKENDS PROB AT APPLECROSS.
      I LIKE KITING IN THE LIGHTER WINDS SAY 13-20 KNOTS AS AFTER THAT I CAN GO WINDSURFING AND ALSO IT IS SO MUCH BETTER WITH A WAKESTYLE BOARD WHEN IT IS FLAT, NOT CHOPPY.
      I HAVE NARROWED MY KITE SELECTION DOWN TO EITHER THE NORTH TORO AND THE NAISH AERO AS THEY ARE BOTH MEDIUM ASPECT AND VERY USER FRIENDLY WHICH IS WHAT I WANT.
      BASICALLY I WANT THIS KITE TO USE FOR AS LONG AS POSS AND NOT GROW OUT OF IT AS QUICKLY AS THE WIPPI I HAVE.
      NOW THE THING I AM NOT SURE ABOUT IS WHETHER TO GET A 10m OR A 12m.
      LOTS OF PEOPLE SAY 10 BUT THEN THEY GO IN MID ARVO WHEN SEABREEZE IS UP AND ALSO THEY WEIGH A BIT LIGHTER THAN ME AND USE DIRECTIONALS.
      OTHERS SAY 12 AS U CAN GET OUT IN THOSE LIGHTER BREEZES AND HAVE FUN.
      ONE THING I DONT WANT THO IS A KITE THAT IS TOO BIG FOR ME AT MY EXPERIENCE THAT I WILL PACK MYSELF AND QUIT THE SPORT.
      ANY INFO ON WHICH SIZE TO PICK AND WHICH IS THE BETTER BET THE TWO WOOD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
      ROHIN.