Re: [ksurf] Re: kiting on Oahu!

  • KiteHIGH Hawaii
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2002
      Aloha Paul

      At 04:29 AM 11/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      > > hi all, quick couple of questions i would *really* appreciate
      > > answers to if you know about it:>
      > > I have picked up a last minute seat sale ticket to Honolulu, and am
      > > staying on a cot with my sister at a hotel in Waikiki for a week.
      > >
      > > 1. what kind of winds might i expect in the second week of
      > > november?

      It depends where you are, the winds vary around the island.

      > > 2. is the public transit good enough to get me to the where the good
      > > kiting is (I am NOT looking to go out in massive waves - but i
      > > wouldn't mind some waist high ones...)or will i need to rent a car?
      > > any suggestions for a 'wrent-a-wreck' type place on the island?

      The bus system is good but quite slow if you want to ride every day and be
      on it. If you need as wind report each day your here call 1 808 637 KITE
      and who evers in our store will fill you in on winds island wide. We are
      lucky here on the North Shore, we have 3 coasts to kite, one that is almost
      exactly the same as Kailua (if not better as there is glassy waters) but
      only a couple of riders (we check the Kailua forcast to kite there).
      We have a coast for North winds and another for trades that works when East
      side (Kailua) is often light as we have a thermal effect. All spots within
      35 minutes of each other. The best thing about the North Shore is it has
      the best equipped Kiteboarding ONLY Shop in Oahu LOL, had to slip that in
      there.

      > > > 3. where the hell can/should i try kiting on Oahu?

      Kailua or the Northshore basically. Kailua has a team working hard to keep
      the place on the map for kiting, the HKA. They are continually having
      problems with folks riding there that are unaware of the situation,
      ideally, signs would be put up but the county wont allow it so it's all
      word of mouth on the beach and in the HKA flyers, pick them up at any good
      kite shop. So ask around mate and folks will be more than happy to help
      out, the riders here are super mellow and helpful to guys that come with
      respect for the place.

      The North Shore is yet to have these problems, mainly because we ride away
      from communities as much as possible as most good spots are beach
      parks...this helps a lot. There is the potential for problems though, so
      ask around and you'll be set.

      > > Please forgive my ignorance, I have never been to Hawaii before, and
      > > don't know much about it. I have been afraid to learn about a place
      > > i thought i could never afford to get to!

      It's as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be, we have a place for
      students at only $60 a night INCLUDING 3 meals ON THE BEACH with a nice
      swimming pool. Its not the ritz but when your 5 minutes from some of
      Hawaii's best kitesurfing and away from the Waikiki tourist trap, who
      cares. There is also a great camp site or the Hilton up here if you want to
      fluff it.

      > > > I am used to the cold harsh waters of the west coast of canada, so
      > > this will be a shock to my system to say the least.

      LOL, my friend helping me out here at the moment is from Alberta, so I have
      heard the stories, great snowboarding but sooo cold! It was chilly here
      last night, had to put a shirt on to sleep:))

      > > any and all info much appreciated.

      Hope it helps, just respect the locals guidelines (kiters and other) and
      the place and Oahu is a great place to kite, there are still tons of spots
      that are hardly ridden !

      Best Regards

      Andy Heaton

      1 866 646 7835 Toll Free

      http://www.kitehigh.com
      The original, since '99, over 120 pages...

      http://www.alohakiteboarding.com
      Oahu - Hawaii's premier lesson center.

      http://www.kitesurfcam.com
      FREE Maui Kitecamera