Re: Kiting on Big Island??

  • Dan Burkhart
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2002
      I just returned from a month on the Big Island. There are a couple of
      great spots (Both on the Kona side).

      Anaehoomalu Bay (called "A-Bay")
      and Keholo Bay, which is about 3 miles towards the Airport. Keholo is
      a bit trickier to find, since it is essentially an unmarked road off
      of the main highway. Closest roadmark to the access road is a "Scenic
      lookout" turnout as you drive South toward Kona Airport from A-Bay.

      Local kiters are super mellow. You'll probably want to bring a larger
      kite, since the winds are thermal winds, not trade winds. I rode a
      Wipika 11.8. Most people were riding 12's and up.

      Good Luck

      Dan