fast session

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
      Got some snow.

      Want some speed.

      Went kiteskiing in moderate wind.

      Going 2-3 times the wind speed.

      Kitesurfing is too slow.

      Time to take winter kiting vacation in colder climate.

      Hung.
    • kiteboardingjapan
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
        > Got some snow.
        >
        > Want some speed.
        >
        > Went kiteskiing in moderate wind.
        >
        > Going 2-3 times the wind speed.
        >
        > Kitesurfing is too slow.
        >
        > Time to take winter kiting vacation in colder climate.
        >
        > Hung.

        Often when I'm kiting or teaching, people often ask me how fast
        kiteboarders usually go. The first time I was asked, I thought about
        it for a bit, and then said, "I don't know, I don't care about the
        speed". When I ride, I'm usually thinking about what trick to try
        next, and never even try to go fast. Even when a windurfer comes
        tearing up behind me to show how "fast" he can go, I just go for a
        nice slow, floaty spin away from him. Am I alone here in not giving a
        shit about not going fast?

        Nick
      • callum_downie
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
          Nope, your not alone,

          I don't go out there to try and go Mach1...
          When I used to widnsurf - on a lake, all i cared about was going as
          fast as possibly... But with the kite I'm more interested in
          jumping/moves or cruising toeside etc

          Speed kitesurfing could be interesting though - but not as
          interesting as the rest of it!

          Callum

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
          > --- In kitesurf@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
          > > Got some snow.
          > >
          > > Want some speed.
          > >
          > > Went kiteskiing in moderate wind.
          > >
          > > Going 2-3 times the wind speed.
          > >
          > > Kitesurfing is too slow.
          > >
          > > Time to take winter kiting vacation in colder climate.
          > >
          > > Hung.
          >
          > Often when I'm kiting or teaching, people often ask me how fast
          > kiteboarders usually go. The first time I was asked, I thought
          about
          > it for a bit, and then said, "I don't know, I don't care about the
          > speed". When I ride, I'm usually thinking about what trick to try
          > next, and never even try to go fast. Even when a windurfer comes
          > tearing up behind me to show how "fast" he can go, I just go for a
          > nice slow, floaty spin away from him. Am I alone here in not giving
          > shit about not going fast?
          >
          > Nick
        • Decay
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
            Hi Nick,

            I felt like you until 10 days ago when I first rode my prototype 90x33cm
            kiteboard - that board is one of the fastest things I have ridden on the
            water, right up there with single water sking.

            Kiteboarding is going to get VERY fast in the coming season!

            Decay

            > Time to take winter kiting vacation in colder climate.
            >
            > Hung.

            Often when I'm kiting or teaching, people often ask me how fast
            kiteboarders usually go. The first time I was asked, I thought about
            it for a bit, and then said, "I don't know, I don't care about the
            speed". When I ride, I'm usually thinking about what trick to try
            next, and never even try to go fast. Even when a windurfer comes
            tearing up behind me to show how "fast" he can go, I just go for a
            nice slow, floaty spin away from him. Am I alone here in not giving a
            shit about not going fast?

            Nick

          • Todd
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
              dEcAy,

              You need any more power, WhiLe UsING yoUr PrOTo?

              ToDd

              --- In kitesurf@y..., "Decay" <decay@i...> wrote:
              > Hi Nick,
              >
              > I felt like you until 10 days ago when I first rode my prototype
              90x33cm
              > kiteboard - that board is one of the fastest things I have ridden
              on the
              > water, right up there with single water sking.
              >
              > Kiteboarding is going to get VERY fast in the coming season!
              >
              > Decay

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Decay
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
                I had 35m lines on my 9.0 CO2 (12m flat), wind was 20-22 knots at a guess,
                and I couldn't really walk backwards with the kite low at the edge of the
                window, I could walk to the water on my own tho.

                The board NEEDS to be ridden powered up on a 12m or smaller kite in high
                wind/flat water conditions.

                Faster kites would at a guess be better say 10m BT/X2/RhinoII in 25 knots
                plus would be ideal - its just a matter of finding a flat water spot with
                those conditions.

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                  Why did you build the board? For speed? Apart from going fast, is it
                  any fun? When I'm really powered up, I actually drop my speed before
                  a jump. Then again, I'm happy with 20 feet.

                  Nick

                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "Decay" <decay@i...> wrote:
                  > I had 35m lines on my 9.0 CO2 (12m flat), wind was 20-22 knots at a
                  guess,
                  > and I couldn't really walk backwards with the kite low at the edge
                  of the
                  > window, I could walk to the water on my own tho.
                  >
                  > The board NEEDS to be ridden powered up on a 12m or smaller kite in
                  high
                  > wind/flat water conditions.
                  >
                  > Faster kites would at a guess be better say 10m BT/X2/RhinoII in 25
                  knots
                  > plus would be ideal - its just a matter of finding a flat water
                  spot with
                  > those conditions.
                  >
                  > dEcAy
                  info/terms/
                • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                    Kitesurfing is inherently a "slower" sport until we can come up with
                    a new "innovative" board design that can add a new speed dimension.
                    For now, it's somewhat a "jumping" and "light wind cruising" only
                    sport.

                    Until then, you can both go as fast as your body willing to take it
                    and jump as high as you know how to land safely on snow/ice.

                    P.S., No, those sail-on-snow-or-ice-boards cannot catch up with a
                    kiteskiier in most conditions and those things sure can't jump...

                    Hung.

                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In kitesurf@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
                    > > Got some snow.
                    > >
                    > > Want some speed.
                    > >
                    > > Went kiteskiing in moderate wind.
                    > >
                    > > Going 2-3 times the wind speed.
                    > >
                    > > Kitesurfing is too slow.
                    > >
                    > > Time to take winter kiting vacation in colder climate.
                    > >
                    > > Hung.
                    >
                    > Often when I'm kiting or teaching, people often ask me how fast
                    > kiteboarders usually go. The first time I was asked, I thought
                    about
                    > it for a bit, and then said, "I don't know, I don't care about the
                    > speed". When I ride, I'm usually thinking about what trick to try
                    > next, and never even try to go fast. Even when a windurfer comes
                    > tearing up behind me to show how "fast" he can go, I just go for a
                    > nice slow, floaty spin away from him. Am I alone here in not giving
                    > shit about not going fast?
                    >
                    > Nick
                  • Dreadlord 2
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                      Hi dudes,

                      I'm arriving in Rio de Janeiro ariport on the 15th morning and must go to
                      Barra de Tijuca...

                      I will have a big board bag with me.. and I'm seeking for some tips to go
                      from the airport to this beach.. what's the best deal? is taxi convenient
                      and cheap?

                      I've honestly never been to Brasil and really looks forward too.. but I
                      also know how airports are the best place to be ripped off, so I'l waiting
                      for some advise of you locals..

                      looking forward to hearing from you all and hopefully sharing some drinks
                      on da beach..

                      have fun

                      Greg
                      greg@...
                    • Stefano P. Rosso
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                        hungvuatnetcomdotca wrote:
                        > Kitesurfing is inherently a "slower" sport until we can come up with
                        > a new "innovative" board design that can add a new speed dimension.
                        > For now, it's somewhat a "jumping" and "light wind cruising" only
                        > sport.
                        >
                        > Until then, you can both go as fast as your body willing to take it
                        > and jump as high as you know how to land safely on snow/ice.
                        >
                        > P.S., No, those sail-on-snow-or-ice-boards cannot catch up with a
                        > kiteskiier in most conditions and those things sure can't jump...

                        didnt cory roesler beat all the windsurfers on his carbon skis ?
                      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                          Cory's Mosquito board help but only faster on a downwind run. I also
                          have passed many windsurfers in the past on downwind runs.

                          But on ice/snow a kiteskiier can beat those
                          sail-on-snow-or-ice-boards upwind, downwind or sidewind....

                          P.S., There could also be a psychological factor as you are normally
                          "unhurtable" on skis while crashing one of those
                          sail-on-snow-or-ice-boards in extreme high speed (speed where you
                          legs cannot fully control the skis anymore) could mean disaster.

                          Hung.

                          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                          > hungvuatnetcomdotca wrote:
                          > > Kitesurfing is inherently a "slower" sport until we can come up
                          with
                          > > a new "innovative" board design that can add a new speed
                          dimension.
                          > > For now, it's somewhat a "jumping" and "light wind cruising" only
                          > > sport.
                          > >
                          > > Until then, you can both go as fast as your body willing to take
                          it
                          > > and jump as high as you know how to land safely on snow/ice.
                          > >
                          > > P.S., No, those sail-on-snow-or-ice-boards cannot catch up with a
                          > > kiteskiier in most conditions and those things sure can't jump...
                          >
                          > didnt cory roesler beat all the windsurfers on his carbon skis ?
                        • Jim
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                            Whatever turns you on.

                            Jim