[ksurf] Re: Concept Airs

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 25, 1999
      I have the 7.2 and 4.8 also. I think you are making a mistake using a bar.
      With handles it is VERY EASY to relaunch the kite. There is no advantage
      with the bar. With handles you can pull ONE brake line and make a kite the
      has crashed LE down, rotate 90 degrees, one wing tip pointed straight up,
      and fly away with no problems. This works even when the wind dies on you. It
      also works with a kite that has spun in and is a twisted pile a fabric.
      Relaunching from this position is actually easier than with the LE UP!

      With brakes, inflating the kite is easier too. You can turn a totally
      uninflated kite using BRAKES ONLY, with responsiveness equal to an inflated
      kite. This will allow you to zoom it back and forth, just above the ground
      until it inflates. This trick is very handy with a water logged kite that
      has been down too long. Just another reason to dump that bar and fly four
      lines and handles. You are just shooting yourself in the foot with a bar on
      that kite.

      Some fairly hard core bar flyers around here have made the switch, you
      should too.

      Just my two cents.
      Dwight

      | Hi,
      |
      | Just recently I bought a Concept Air 4.8 and a 7.2.
      |
      | They both behave pretty well in flight but I have problems getting their
      LE
      | upwards to lift the kite back up again after splashing.
      |
      | I am using 2 lines but don´t feel very keen to leave my control bar in
      | exchange for handles.
      |
      | Is there a good and proven in-the-middle solution (maybe 3 line bar as
      | stated by Surftech in their web page for Naish kites) to have good
      | relaunching specs without the hassle of four line handles?
      |
      | Hey Mr Montmigny, anything to comment on this?
      |
      | Regards.
      | Rod.
      |
      | rod@...

    • Antonio Lage
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 25, 1999
        At 17:18 25-10-99 +0200, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >Just recently I bought a Concept Air 4.8 and a 7.2.
        >
        >They both behave pretty well in flight but I have problems getting their LE
        >upwards to lift the kite back up again after splashing.
        >
        >I am using 2 lines but don´t feel very keen to leave my control bar in
        >exchange for handles.
        >
        >Is there a good and proven in-the-middle solution (maybe 3 line bar as
        >stated by Surftech in their web page for Naish kites) to have good
        >relaunching specs without the hassle of four line handles?
        >
        >Hey Mr Montmigny, anything to comment on this?
        >
        >Regards.
        >Rod.
        >
        >rod@...

        Hi Rod,

        I have a 4.8 and 3.0 C.Air, and have no problem relaunching it. In whatever
        position it falls I just swim towards it to let the wind get under it and
        pull one line. This makes for a explosive relaunch sometimes as the kite is
        in the middle of the window, but works fine.
        If this is not what you were asking please disregard this message...

        Antonio

        P.S. I also use a control bar and have no intention of using handles/4
        lines.
      • Dwight & Jacky
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 25, 1999
          You don't have to swim to the kite with this method either. Just pull the
          brake a fly away.

          | I have the 7.2 and 4.8 also. I think you are making a mistake using a bar.
          | With handles it is VERY EASY to relaunch the kite. There is no advantage
          | with the bar. With handles you can pull ONE brake line and make a kite the
          | has crashed LE down, rotate 90 degrees, one wing tip pointed straight up,
          | and fly away with no problems. This works even when the wind dies on you.
          It
          | also works with a kite that has spun in and is a twisted pile a fabric.
          | Relaunching from this position is actually easier than with the LE UP!
          |
          | With brakes, inflating the kite is easier too. You can turn a totally
          | uninflated kite using BRAKES ONLY, with responsiveness equal to an
          inflated
          | kite. This will allow you to zoom it back and forth, just above the ground
          | until it inflates. This trick is very handy with a water logged kite that
          | has been down too long. Just another reason to dump that bar and fly four
          | lines and handles. You are just shooting yourself in the foot with a bar
          on
          | that kite.
          |
          | Some fairly hard core bar flyers around here have made the switch, you
          | should too.
          |
          | Just my two cents.
          | Dwight
          |
          | | Hi,
          | |
          | | Just recently I bought a Concept Air 4.8 and a 7.2.
          | |
          | | They both behave pretty well in flight but I have problems getting their
          | LE
          | | upwards to lift the kite back up again after splashing.
          | |
          | | I am using 2 lines but don´t feel very keen to leave my control bar in
          | | exchange for handles.
          | |
          | | Is there a good and proven in-the-middle solution (maybe 3 line bar as
          | | stated by Surftech in their web page for Naish kites) to have good
          | | relaunching specs without the hassle of four line handles?
          | |
          | | Hey Mr Montmigny, anything to comment on this?
          | |
          | | Regards.
          | | Rod.
          | |
          | | rod@...
          | |

        • Stan Schiller
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 24, 2000
            Dwight & Jacky wrote:

            Hi there
            Do you prefer the x-wave to the sportwave..Which do you think has less
            tendency to luff and fall. I had great time on 4.4 which never luffed
            once, I was amazed, since My Naish always seems to overfly the window
            and starts falling etc....so I am looking for a larger C.A. Do you
            recommend the sport wave or X-wave in about a 6.2 or so.

            Thanks Stan in HI
            > I have the 7.2 and 4.8 also. I think you are making a mistake using a bar.
            > With handles it is VERY EASY to relaunch the kite. There is no advantage
            > with the bar. With handles you can pull ONE brake line and make a kite the
            > has crashed LE down, rotate 90 degrees, one wing tip pointed straight up,
            > and fly away with no problems. This works even when the wind dies on you. It
            > also works with a kite that has spun in and is a twisted pile a fabric.
            > Relaunching from this position is actually easier than with the LE UP!
            >
            > With brakes, inflating the kite is easier too. You can turn a totally
            > uninflated kite using BRAKES ONLY, with responsiveness equal to an inflated
            > kite. This will allow you to zoom it back and forth, just above the ground
            > until it inflates. This trick is very handy with a water logged kite that
            > has been down too long. Just another reason to dump that bar and fly four
            > lines and handles. You are just shooting yourself in the foot with a bar on
            > that kite.
            >
            > Some fairly hard core bar flyers around here have made the switch, you
            > should too.
            >
            > Just my two cents.
            > Dwight
            >
            > | Hi,
            > |
            > | Just recently I bought a Concept Air 4.8 and a 7.2.
            > |
            > | They both behave pretty well in flight but I have problems getting their
            > LE
            > | upwards to lift the kite back up again after splashing.
            > |
            > | I am using 2 lines but don´t feel very keen to leave my control bar in
            > | exchange for handles.
            > |
            > | Is there a good and proven in-the-middle solution (maybe 3 line bar as
            > | stated by Surftech in their web page for Naish kites) to have good
            > | relaunching specs without the hassle of four line handles?
            > |
            > | Hey Mr Montmigny, anything to comment on this?
            > |
            > | Regards.
            > | Rod.
            > |
            > | rod@...

          • Dwight & Jacky
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
              Hi there
              Do you prefer the x-wave to the sportwave..Which do you think has less
              tendency to luff and fall. I had great time on 4.4 which never luffed
              once, I was amazed, since My Naish always seems to overfly the window
              and starts falling etc....so I am looking for a larger C.A. Do you
              recommend the sport wave or X-wave in about a 6.2 or so.

              Thanks Stan in HI

              Stan,
              I have seen no difference in luffing between the two types. The difference
              is power, the 7.2 EX is more powerful than the 6.6 Sport. The key to getting
              the CA kites not to luff is getting the VSS trim set right. If you get it
              wrong for the wind speed your skill level allows you to fly in, it will luff
              a lot.

              Sorry for the late response. I was snowboarding in Utah for two weeks.
              Dwight