#2 [ksurf] Re: So cal winds

  • kiteboard2000
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

      > ok thanks... i think I would be about a 40 minute drive from
      belmont...
      > to the south... well see... nothings sure yet...

      So that makes you about 1:10 from Cabrillo, but closer to San Carlos
      (which is VERY nice from nearly March through Nov*, by all acounts)
      than if you lived at Belmont.

      *not quite really, but since it blows about a kite-size harder there
      than here, the season is longer, if you're using your "SoCal" sized
      kite at San Carlos.

      Have you checked out the archives at iwindsurf.com? It might take a
      while (60 days to check for summer weekends, times 2 if you want to
      check Cabrillo as well as Seal-Belmont) but you can enter any date
      you want & get the chart with readings at 20 minute intervals.

      Mel
    • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2002
        In a message dated 11/1/2002 5:35:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        kiteboarder@... writes:

        > checked out the archives at iwindsurf.com?

        ikitesurf.com

        hey Stefano - Mel, is giving you some good details. Dont worry about SoCal,
        you can do A LOT worse and NOT muchbetter by being located here.
        Because of mild air & water temps, we kite here ALL
        year long. Sure,Late Fall & Winter are not as consistent, but would you
        rather be in freezing water or snow?
        One good Spring&Summer here, is better than LOTS of other places.
        The beaches here are really nice for friendly launching and landing (xcept
        maybe Cabrillo). Sea Breeze picks up between 1pm-3pm most days.
        Avg wind from North Orange County to Santa Barbara is 12-20 mph, 3-7 days out
        of the week in Spring&Summer.
        Oh sure, we have low clouds that can shut off or reduce seabreezes, but there
        are work arounds with other locations to drive to.
        Too bad you'll be located in North San Diego-or South OC,
        you will have to drive most times -
        Enjoy La Vida Viento Loca !
        Scott

        ifeelthesharpbladeofcausticremarkescomingupmyspinefrompeoplethataresupposedfri

        ends.

      • Stefano P. Rosso
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
          > I can't remember how big you are, but if a 1510 is even an option for
          > you, you must be bigger than me. That means you'll be using a 1510 a
          > lot, an 1120 quite a bit (depending on your weight), & never need an
          > 840 (I rarely even NEED mine, it's just more fun in 18 knots, & MUCH
          > more fun in 20 or those rare 25 knot days that come out of nowhere).

          Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...
        • kiteboard2000
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

            > Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...

            Yes, unless you're going to be going to San Carlos, in which case it
            might be best to have an 840 instead of the 1120.

            Mel
          • Jeff Quick
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
              San Carlos is just over 8 hours south of the USA/Mexico Border and
              requires off road driving the last stretch of the way.

              There are a few spots north of san carlos with winds 'almost as good'
              and much less of a driving commitment. the further south you go from
              the border, the more you start getting out of the shadowing effects
              of point conception...so you get more of the predominant wind effect
              to kick off and help boost the local thermal winds. Mid-summer can
              get gusty though as the deserts form heat pockets that chop up the
              wind. Its still better than no wind.

              San Carlos is EPIC if you want perfect wave sailing, but you'll be
              sharing the spot with hard-core windsurfers. It blows mainly in the
              spring/summer months. I am sure it still blows in winter, but
              probably not as much. Alot of people start heading to the other side
              to San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
              border.

              So there are options when the wind is dead in So Cal. And keep in
              mind... when you DO get wind in So Cal, its probably going to be
              better than alot of other really windy places... Tourmaline in San
              Diego is one of the best spots in the world to ride...but it doesnt
              blow there all that often...and its Mega-crowded with surfers and
              kitesurfers, even when the wind is nuking...as the surf never really
              blows out. Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
              ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.

              Jeffro

              --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
              > kiteboard2000 wrote:
              > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
              > >

              > >>Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...
              > >

              > > Yes, unless you're going to be going to San Carlos, in which case
              it
              > > might be best to have an 840 instead of the 1120.
              > >

              > where is San Carlos ?
            • Stefano P. Rosso
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                  Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                  > ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.

                  thanks jeff. is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot around
                  there ? 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day weekend
                  to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends in
                  the US (tons in brazil)
                • kiteboard2000
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

                    > is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot around
                    > there ?

                    Only in a private plane.

                    > 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day weekend
                    > to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends
                    in
                    > the US (tons in brazil)

                    Actually we don't have ANY 4-day weekends, but lots of folks just
                    take a vacation day on the Monday following a Friday holiday (or vice-
                    versa).

                    Mel
                  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                      In a message dated 11/6/2002 12:52:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                      jquick1@... writes:

                      > San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                      > border.

                      Been going to SFelipe since '79.
                      its 125 miles south of Mexicali or about 2 hrs from the border, BUT it is
                      about 4 hrs from San Diego (Hwy 8 to 111 south to Mex Hwy 5)
                      about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving over a 5 day period.
                      Last year my friend Al and I got 15-20mph wind Thurs-Sat, then 30+mph on Sun
                      who knows this year.
                      for more info go to http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx
                      Yariba!
                      Scott

                    • Jeff Quick
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                        Correction, yes it is 4 hours or so from San Diego, not from the
                        border. Sorry for the cOnFuSiOn! ;-)

                        Jeffro

                        --- In kitesurf@y..., LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
                        > In a message dated 11/6/2002 12:52:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                        > jquick1@h... writes:
                        >

                        > > San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                        > > border.
                        > >

                        > Been going to SFelipe since '79.
                        > its 125 miles south of Mexicali or about 2 hrs from the border, BUT
                        it is
                        > about 4 hrs from San Diego (Hwy 8 to 111 south to Mex Hwy 5)
                        > about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving over a 5 day
                        period.
                        > Last year my friend Al and I got 15-20mph wind Thurs-Sat, then
                        30+mph on Sun
                        > who knows this year.
                        > for more info go to http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx
                        > Yariba!
                        > Scott

                      • Jeff Quick
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                          Yea, Mel is right...

                          You'll need a private plane.. These places can be RAW...you'll have
                          to bring a tent, etc. Nothing around for miles.

                          Some of the small mexican towns off of Highway 1 have motels
                          though...a few are top notch, and others are like sleeping in an
                          alleyway with a bed. Fun or not? depends on your perspective! ;-)

                          Of course the kiting is phenomenal.

                          For 4 day weekends...depends on your job, but some companies these
                          days want ALL of your time... including your weekends...

                          Jeffro

                          PS: The past few days in San Diego have been pretty damn good... 15-
                          18 MPH steady. Huge swell is on the way to make it even more fun.
                          So we do get our days...just dont know WHEN it will blow.

                          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                          > Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                          > > ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.
                          >

                          > thanks jeff. is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot
                          around
                          > there ? 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day
                          weekend
                          > to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends
                          in
                          > the US (tons in brazil)
                        • kiteboard2000
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                            --- In kitesurf@y..., LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:

                            > Been going to SFelipe since '79...

                            > about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving

                            I'm sure Scott will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe San Felipe
                            blows from Thanksgiving nearly THROUGH Easter. I've also heard that
                            Lake Mojave is a pretty good bet all winter too, but I don't know how
                            gusty it is. For that matter, I can't remember how gusty it is at
                            San Felipe (only been there when I used to windsurf).

                            Mel
                          • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 7, 2002
                              In a message dated 11/6/2002 7:54:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                              kiteboarder@... writes:

                              > but I believe San Felipe
                              > blows from Thanksgiving nearly THROUGH Easter. I've also heard that
                              > Lake Mojave is a pretty good bet all winter too, but I don't know how
                              > gusty it is. For that matter, I can't remember how gusty it is at
                              > San Felipe (only been there when I used to windsurf

                              been to Lake Mojave 1x at Thanksgiving time - won't go back, too cold and too
                              gusty.

                              SFelipe is not gusty, its steady ocean breezes. However it can blow Santa Ana
                              winds during Thanksgiving from NE, 30-40mph due to a High Pressure system
                              over 4 corners, this happens only 10-20% of the time. Clearing winds from a
                              passing storm to the North is frequent though - with it being rainy in LA/SD
                              - a clearing wind scenario is possible, with frontal winds too. Its warmer
                              water and air in San Felipe than US, which of course is nice!
                              Scott