Re: Need help on raising downed kite in water

  • Jo Macdonald
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi Guy,
      Try this
      If you use a low Ar kite it's much easier to relaunch, just pull on
      the bottom line, the kite will roll over and ride to the edge of the
      window, pull on the top line to launch. As it sounds like you're
      using average to
      high AR kites you will have to get them on their back to relaunch.
      The best way to get good at this is to practice in
      the shallows. Its a hell of a lot easier to relaunch a high AR kite
      in the shallows than in deep water, especially in light wind (below
      10 knots). Below 7 knots anyone will have a hard time in deep water.
      You can practice this even on a light wind day by drift launching,
      just walk into the water with the bar and kite, leave your board on
      the beach. Drop the kite and let it drift down wind. When the lines
      are taught, jerk on the bar (pulling in about 2 m of centre line
      then
      letting go is ok too) then run towards the kite, if the water is
      pretty shallow a few steps will have the kite on its back, you'll be
      amazed how easy it is. Once it gets on its back you have to pull on
      the top and bottom lines alternately to get the kite in the right C
      shape, this is just something you'll learn by doing it, basically
      you
      have to balance the kite so it don't fall over while you pull it
      into
      the C shape, again in shallow water is 100 times easier and less
      time/energy consuming. When you have the C shape keep pulling the
      bottom lines until the kite reaches the edge of the window then pull
      the top lines to launch, in low wind don't launch it too vertically
      or it will stall and fall and you're back to square one. Once you
      can do it in the shallows try in deeper water but remember you'll
      need more wind.
      If the wind is strong either pull in the front lines then let go or
      give the bar a good tug towards you then swim fast towards the
      kite, in stong wind it should flip over straight away, but anyway
      practicing in the shallows will give you more feeling.
      If all else fails you can try letting it go to the leash because it
      should flap out on its back, then when you recover the bar balance
      the kite as above to get it into the C shape then pul the bottom
      line to get it to the edge of the window and then the top line to
      launch, using the bar obviously to pull the lines.
      There will still be times you won't be able to relaunch in light
      wind, no one can it's just part of the game.
      Have fun.
      Jo
    • dixon76710
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "tydang" <tydang@y...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        , then pull on the center lines (4 line
        > kite) a couple feet and swim hard towards the kite.

        Make sure you are releasing the couple of feet of lines as you swim
        towards the kite. MARK
      • mauidragao
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
          --There will still be times you won't be able to relaunch in light
          wind, no one can it's just part of the game.

          I wonder had anyone try this the fifth line on the center on the LE
          so in light wind when the the kite LE down all you have to do is pull
          in the fifth line and there won,t be any tension on the front and the
          back line since the kite is downwind and when the wind hit the TE
          would it cause the kite to flipp to the up noon position I haven,t
          try it yet, I am thinking to try it only in light wind any comment

          jojo