Need help on raising downed kite in water

  • tydang
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi all,

      I'd appreciate any advice on the best way to get the kite launchable
      from the water. I've been given the following advice: Get the kite
      directly out of the power zone by pulling on the lines to get the
      kite to the left or right of being directly downwind (if downwind is
      90 degrees, I want the kite at around 60 or 70 degrees for example)
      Once the kite is in position, then pull on the center lines (4 line
      kite) a couple feet and swim hard towards the kite. This hopefully
      will allow the kite to turn over. If it does, I want to grab the
      bottom line of the kite so that it is in position to launch.
      After that, just launch.
      I don't have problems with water starting, just getting the kite back
      up off the water when it's leading edge is down.

      Here's the problem I've had with this approach:
      When the kite crashes in the water, I'm often dragged downwind by by
      the kite on the water's surface at a pretty fast speed, faster than I
      can swim anyway. Thus I tire from just keeping my head up.
      So even if I do get the kite in position, I often can't swim faster
      than the kite, so it won't flip over.

      Please help.

      Ty

      San Diego
    • Jo Macdonald
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
        Hi Guy,
        Try this
        If you use a low Ar kite it's much easier to relaunch, just pull on
        the bottom line, the kite will roll over and ride to the edge of the
        window, pull on the top line to launch. As it sounds like you're
        using average to
        high AR kites you will have to get them on their back to relaunch.
        The best way to get good at this is to practice in
        the shallows. Its a hell of a lot easier to relaunch a high AR kite
        in the shallows than in deep water, especially in light wind (below
        10 knots). Below 7 knots anyone will have a hard time in deep water.
        You can practice this even on a light wind day by drift launching,
        just walk into the water with the bar and kite, leave your board on
        the beach. Drop the kite and let it drift down wind. When the lines
        are taught, jerk on the bar (pulling in about 2 m of centre line
        then
        letting go is ok too) then run towards the kite, if the water is
        pretty shallow a few steps will have the kite on its back, you'll be
        amazed how easy it is. Once it gets on its back you have to pull on
        the top and bottom lines alternately to get the kite in the right C
        shape, this is just something you'll learn by doing it, basically
        you
        have to balance the kite so it don't fall over while you pull it
        into
        the C shape, again in shallow water is 100 times easier and less
        time/energy consuming. When you have the C shape keep pulling the
        bottom lines until the kite reaches the edge of the window then pull
        the top lines to launch, in low wind don't launch it too vertically
        or it will stall and fall and you're back to square one. Once you
        can do it in the shallows try in deeper water but remember you'll
        need more wind.
        If the wind is strong either pull in the front lines then let go or
        give the bar a good tug towards you then swim fast towards the
        kite, in stong wind it should flip over straight away, but anyway
        practicing in the shallows will give you more feeling.
        If all else fails you can try letting it go to the leash because it
        should flap out on its back, then when you recover the bar balance
        the kite as above to get it into the C shape then pul the bottom
        line to get it to the edge of the window and then the top line to
        launch, using the bar obviously to pull the lines.
        There will still be times you won't be able to relaunch in light
        wind, no one can it's just part of the game.
        Have fun.
        Jo
      • dixon76710
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "tydang" <tydang@y...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          , then pull on the center lines (4 line
          > kite) a couple feet and swim hard towards the kite.

          Make sure you are releasing the couple of feet of lines as you swim
          towards the kite. MARK
        • mauidragao
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
            --There will still be times you won't be able to relaunch in light
            wind, no one can it's just part of the game.

            I wonder had anyone try this the fifth line on the center on the LE
            so in light wind when the the kite LE down all you have to do is pull
            in the fifth line and there won,t be any tension on the front and the
            back line since the kite is downwind and when the wind hit the TE
            would it cause the kite to flipp to the up noon position I haven,t
            try it yet, I am thinking to try it only in light wind any comment

            jojo