Re: [ksurf] Re: So cal winds

  • Stefano P. Rosso
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
      Jeff Quick wrote:
      > Ya I agree...its going to suck living here as a kiter.

      shit.. i was hoping for an improvement but it sounds just like where i
      live now !

      > To get a wind fix, Baja Mexico is a few hours south...or round point
      > conception a few hours north to Jalama, Pismo, or Morro Bay.
      >
      > hope this helps,
      > jeffro

      thanks for the help
    • Stefano P. Rosso
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
        kiteboard2000 wrote:
        > The others have brought up some good points. It depends on WHERE in
        > SoCal you're living/working/driving, because for more do-able weekend
        > trips: if you're further south then San Carlos, & if you're further
        > north then Pt. Conception. Your location is more critical than the
        > distances may appear, due to traffic (unless you make a setup for
        > carrying your gear by motorbike). Also you mentioned Orange county,
        > the northern border of which is the dividing line between Seal &
        > Belmont, & is about 30 min. from Cabrillo (more practical if it's
        > dead at Belmont, since then there may actually be a few others here
        > to help launch & land). That's what I was basing my estimate on.
        >
        > Mel

        ok thanks... i think I would be about a 40 minute drive from belmont...
        to the south... well see... nothings sure yet...
      • kiteboard2000
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

          > Ok so the winter sucks... in the april through october months - how
          > often is it more like 12 knots rather than 8 ? would i ever ride my
          1120
          > ? or 840 ? or should i just sell them for a 1510 ?

          I can't remember how big you are, but if a 1510 is even an option for
          you, you must be bigger than me. That means you'll be using a 1510 a
          lot, an 1120 quite a bit (depending on your weight), & never need an
          840 (I rarely even NEED mine, it's just more fun in 18 knots, & MUCH
          more fun in 20 or those rare 25 knot days that come out of nowhere).

          Mel
        • kiteboard2000
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

            > ok thanks... i think I would be about a 40 minute drive from
            belmont...
            > to the south... well see... nothings sure yet...

            So that makes you about 1:10 from Cabrillo, but closer to San Carlos
            (which is VERY nice from nearly March through Nov*, by all acounts)
            than if you lived at Belmont.

            *not quite really, but since it blows about a kite-size harder there
            than here, the season is longer, if you're using your "SoCal" sized
            kite at San Carlos.

            Have you checked out the archives at iwindsurf.com? It might take a
            while (60 days to check for summer weekends, times 2 if you want to
            check Cabrillo as well as Seal-Belmont) but you can enter any date
            you want & get the chart with readings at 20 minute intervals.

            Mel
          • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 2, 2002
              In a message dated 11/1/2002 5:35:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              kiteboarder@... writes:

              > checked out the archives at iwindsurf.com?

              ikitesurf.com

              hey Stefano - Mel, is giving you some good details. Dont worry about SoCal,
              you can do A LOT worse and NOT muchbetter by being located here.
              Because of mild air & water temps, we kite here ALL
              year long. Sure,Late Fall & Winter are not as consistent, but would you
              rather be in freezing water or snow?
              One good Spring&Summer here, is better than LOTS of other places.
              The beaches here are really nice for friendly launching and landing (xcept
              maybe Cabrillo). Sea Breeze picks up between 1pm-3pm most days.
              Avg wind from North Orange County to Santa Barbara is 12-20 mph, 3-7 days out
              of the week in Spring&Summer.
              Oh sure, we have low clouds that can shut off or reduce seabreezes, but there
              are work arounds with other locations to drive to.
              Too bad you'll be located in North San Diego-or South OC,
              you will have to drive most times -
              Enjoy La Vida Viento Loca !
              Scott

              ifeelthesharpbladeofcausticremarkescomingupmyspinefrompeoplethataresupposedfri

              ends.

            • Stefano P. Rosso
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                > I can't remember how big you are, but if a 1510 is even an option for
                > you, you must be bigger than me. That means you'll be using a 1510 a
                > lot, an 1120 quite a bit (depending on your weight), & never need an
                > 840 (I rarely even NEED mine, it's just more fun in 18 knots, & MUCH
                > more fun in 20 or those rare 25 knot days that come out of nowhere).

                Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...
              • kiteboard2000
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

                  > Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...

                  Yes, unless you're going to be going to San Carlos, in which case it
                  might be best to have an 840 instead of the 1120.

                  Mel
                • Jeff Quick
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                    San Carlos is just over 8 hours south of the USA/Mexico Border and
                    requires off road driving the last stretch of the way.

                    There are a few spots north of san carlos with winds 'almost as good'
                    and much less of a driving commitment. the further south you go from
                    the border, the more you start getting out of the shadowing effects
                    of point conception...so you get more of the predominant wind effect
                    to kick off and help boost the local thermal winds. Mid-summer can
                    get gusty though as the deserts form heat pockets that chop up the
                    wind. Its still better than no wind.

                    San Carlos is EPIC if you want perfect wave sailing, but you'll be
                    sharing the spot with hard-core windsurfers. It blows mainly in the
                    spring/summer months. I am sure it still blows in winter, but
                    probably not as much. Alot of people start heading to the other side
                    to San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                    border.

                    So there are options when the wind is dead in So Cal. And keep in
                    mind... when you DO get wind in So Cal, its probably going to be
                    better than alot of other really windy places... Tourmaline in San
                    Diego is one of the best spots in the world to ride...but it doesnt
                    blow there all that often...and its Mega-crowded with surfers and
                    kitesurfers, even when the wind is nuking...as the surf never really
                    blows out. Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                    ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.

                    Jeffro

                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                    > kiteboard2000 wrote:
                    > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > >>Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...
                    > >

                    > > Yes, unless you're going to be going to San Carlos, in which case
                    it
                    > > might be best to have an 840 instead of the 1120.
                    > >

                    > where is San Carlos ?
                  • Stefano P. Rosso
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                        Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                        > ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.

                        thanks jeff. is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot around
                        there ? 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day weekend
                        to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends in
                        the US (tons in brazil)
                      • kiteboard2000
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

                          > is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot around
                          > there ?

                          Only in a private plane.

                          > 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day weekend
                          > to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends
                          in
                          > the US (tons in brazil)

                          Actually we don't have ANY 4-day weekends, but lots of folks just
                          take a vacation day on the Monday following a Friday holiday (or vice-
                          versa).

                          Mel
                        • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                            In a message dated 11/6/2002 12:52:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                            jquick1@... writes:

                            > San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                            > border.

                            Been going to SFelipe since '79.
                            its 125 miles south of Mexicali or about 2 hrs from the border, BUT it is
                            about 4 hrs from San Diego (Hwy 8 to 111 south to Mex Hwy 5)
                            about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving over a 5 day period.
                            Last year my friend Al and I got 15-20mph wind Thurs-Sat, then 30+mph on Sun
                            who knows this year.
                            for more info go to http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx
                            Yariba!
                            Scott

                          • Jeff Quick
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                              Correction, yes it is 4 hours or so from San Diego, not from the
                              border. Sorry for the cOnFuSiOn! ;-)

                              Jeffro

                              --- In kitesurf@y..., LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
                              > In a message dated 11/6/2002 12:52:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                              > jquick1@h... writes:
                              >

                              > > San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                              > > border.
                              > >

                              > Been going to SFelipe since '79.
                              > its 125 miles south of Mexicali or about 2 hrs from the border, BUT
                              it is
                              > about 4 hrs from San Diego (Hwy 8 to 111 south to Mex Hwy 5)
                              > about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving over a 5 day
                              period.
                              > Last year my friend Al and I got 15-20mph wind Thurs-Sat, then
                              30+mph on Sun
                              > who knows this year.
                              > for more info go to http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx
                              > Yariba!
                              > Scott

                            • Jeff Quick
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                                Yea, Mel is right...

                                You'll need a private plane.. These places can be RAW...you'll have
                                to bring a tent, etc. Nothing around for miles.

                                Some of the small mexican towns off of Highway 1 have motels
                                though...a few are top notch, and others are like sleeping in an
                                alleyway with a bed. Fun or not? depends on your perspective! ;-)

                                Of course the kiting is phenomenal.

                                For 4 day weekends...depends on your job, but some companies these
                                days want ALL of your time... including your weekends...

                                Jeffro

                                PS: The past few days in San Diego have been pretty damn good... 15-
                                18 MPH steady. Huge swell is on the way to make it even more fun.
                                So we do get our days...just dont know WHEN it will blow.

                                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                                > Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                                > > ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.
                                >

                                > thanks jeff. is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot
                                around
                                > there ? 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day
                                weekend
                                > to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends
                                in
                                > the US (tons in brazil)
                              • kiteboard2000
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                                  --- In kitesurf@y..., LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:

                                  > Been going to SFelipe since '79...

                                  > about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving

                                  I'm sure Scott will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe San Felipe
                                  blows from Thanksgiving nearly THROUGH Easter. I've also heard that
                                  Lake Mojave is a pretty good bet all winter too, but I don't know how
                                  gusty it is. For that matter, I can't remember how gusty it is at
                                  San Felipe (only been there when I used to windsurf).

                                  Mel
                                • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 7, 2002
                                    In a message dated 11/6/2002 7:54:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                    kiteboarder@... writes:

                                    > but I believe San Felipe
                                    > blows from Thanksgiving nearly THROUGH Easter. I've also heard that
                                    > Lake Mojave is a pretty good bet all winter too, but I don't know how
                                    > gusty it is. For that matter, I can't remember how gusty it is at
                                    > San Felipe (only been there when I used to windsurf

                                    been to Lake Mojave 1x at Thanksgiving time - won't go back, too cold and too
                                    gusty.

                                    SFelipe is not gusty, its steady ocean breezes. However it can blow Santa Ana
                                    winds during Thanksgiving from NE, 30-40mph due to a High Pressure system
                                    over 4 corners, this happens only 10-20% of the time. Clearing winds from a
                                    passing storm to the North is frequent though - with it being rainy in LA/SD
                                    - a clearing wind scenario is possible, with frontal winds too. Its warmer
                                    water and air in San Felipe than US, which of course is nice!
                                    Scott