Re: [ksurf] Re: So cal winds

  • Stefano P. Rosso
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
      Ok so the winter sucks... in the april through october months - how
      often is it more like 12 knots rather than 8 ? would i ever ride my 1120
      ? or 840 ? or should i just sell them for a 1510 ?

      >>Mel and other SO cal kitesurfers...
      >>I ... at a beach called
      >>Salt Creek. he told me that its veyr rarely windy around there.
      >

      > Never heard of it.
      >

      >>how many sailable weekend days i can
      >>expect (with say a quiver of arcs 1510 to 840).
      >

      > Assuming that 1510 will get you going in under 10 knots (maybe 8?)
      > I'd say most weekend days from around April through October (about 44
      > weekend days out of about 60). In the "winter", it's probably more
      > like 3 weekend days per month, for a total of about 15 days out of
      > about 44.
      >
      > For the "winter" keep in mind La Ventana is only a 2 1/2 hour flight
      > + 1/2 hour shuttle.
      >
      > Mel
    • Stefano P. Rosso
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
        Jeff Quick wrote:
        > Ya I agree...its going to suck living here as a kiter.

        shit.. i was hoping for an improvement but it sounds just like where i
        live now !

        > To get a wind fix, Baja Mexico is a few hours south...or round point
        > conception a few hours north to Jalama, Pismo, or Morro Bay.
        >
        > hope this helps,
        > jeffro

        thanks for the help
      • Stefano P. Rosso
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
          kiteboard2000 wrote:
          > The others have brought up some good points. It depends on WHERE in
          > SoCal you're living/working/driving, because for more do-able weekend
          > trips: if you're further south then San Carlos, & if you're further
          > north then Pt. Conception. Your location is more critical than the
          > distances may appear, due to traffic (unless you make a setup for
          > carrying your gear by motorbike). Also you mentioned Orange county,
          > the northern border of which is the dividing line between Seal &
          > Belmont, & is about 30 min. from Cabrillo (more practical if it's
          > dead at Belmont, since then there may actually be a few others here
          > to help launch & land). That's what I was basing my estimate on.
          >
          > Mel

          ok thanks... i think I would be about a 40 minute drive from belmont...
          to the south... well see... nothings sure yet...
        • kiteboard2000
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

            > Ok so the winter sucks... in the april through october months - how
            > often is it more like 12 knots rather than 8 ? would i ever ride my
            1120
            > ? or 840 ? or should i just sell them for a 1510 ?

            I can't remember how big you are, but if a 1510 is even an option for
            you, you must be bigger than me. That means you'll be using a 1510 a
            lot, an 1120 quite a bit (depending on your weight), & never need an
            840 (I rarely even NEED mine, it's just more fun in 18 knots, & MUCH
            more fun in 20 or those rare 25 knot days that come out of nowhere).

            Mel
          • kiteboard2000
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

              > ok thanks... i think I would be about a 40 minute drive from
              belmont...
              > to the south... well see... nothings sure yet...

              So that makes you about 1:10 from Cabrillo, but closer to San Carlos
              (which is VERY nice from nearly March through Nov*, by all acounts)
              than if you lived at Belmont.

              *not quite really, but since it blows about a kite-size harder there
              than here, the season is longer, if you're using your "SoCal" sized
              kite at San Carlos.

              Have you checked out the archives at iwindsurf.com? It might take a
              while (60 days to check for summer weekends, times 2 if you want to
              check Cabrillo as well as Seal-Belmont) but you can enter any date
              you want & get the chart with readings at 20 minute intervals.

              Mel
            • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 2, 2002
                In a message dated 11/1/2002 5:35:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                kiteboarder@... writes:

                > checked out the archives at iwindsurf.com?

                ikitesurf.com

                hey Stefano - Mel, is giving you some good details. Dont worry about SoCal,
                you can do A LOT worse and NOT muchbetter by being located here.
                Because of mild air & water temps, we kite here ALL
                year long. Sure,Late Fall & Winter are not as consistent, but would you
                rather be in freezing water or snow?
                One good Spring&Summer here, is better than LOTS of other places.
                The beaches here are really nice for friendly launching and landing (xcept
                maybe Cabrillo). Sea Breeze picks up between 1pm-3pm most days.
                Avg wind from North Orange County to Santa Barbara is 12-20 mph, 3-7 days out
                of the week in Spring&Summer.
                Oh sure, we have low clouds that can shut off or reduce seabreezes, but there
                are work arounds with other locations to drive to.
                Too bad you'll be located in North San Diego-or South OC,
                you will have to drive most times -
                Enjoy La Vida Viento Loca !
                Scott

                ifeelthesharpbladeofcausticremarkescomingupmyspinefrompeoplethataresupposedfri

                ends.

              • Stefano P. Rosso
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                  > I can't remember how big you are, but if a 1510 is even an option for
                  > you, you must be bigger than me. That means you'll be using a 1510 a
                  > lot, an 1120 quite a bit (depending on your weight), & never need an
                  > 840 (I rarely even NEED mine, it's just more fun in 18 knots, & MUCH
                  > more fun in 20 or those rare 25 knot days that come out of nowhere).

                  Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...
                • kiteboard2000
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

                    > Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...

                    Yes, unless you're going to be going to San Carlos, in which case it
                    might be best to have an 840 instead of the 1120.

                    Mel
                  • Jeff Quick
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                      San Carlos is just over 8 hours south of the USA/Mexico Border and
                      requires off road driving the last stretch of the way.

                      There are a few spots north of san carlos with winds 'almost as good'
                      and much less of a driving commitment. the further south you go from
                      the border, the more you start getting out of the shadowing effects
                      of point conception...so you get more of the predominant wind effect
                      to kick off and help boost the local thermal winds. Mid-summer can
                      get gusty though as the deserts form heat pockets that chop up the
                      wind. Its still better than no wind.

                      San Carlos is EPIC if you want perfect wave sailing, but you'll be
                      sharing the spot with hard-core windsurfers. It blows mainly in the
                      spring/summer months. I am sure it still blows in winter, but
                      probably not as much. Alot of people start heading to the other side
                      to San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                      border.

                      So there are options when the wind is dead in So Cal. And keep in
                      mind... when you DO get wind in So Cal, its probably going to be
                      better than alot of other really windy places... Tourmaline in San
                      Diego is one of the best spots in the world to ride...but it doesnt
                      blow there all that often...and its Mega-crowded with surfers and
                      kitesurfers, even when the wind is nuking...as the surf never really
                      blows out. Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                      ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.

                      Jeffro

                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                      > kiteboard2000 wrote:
                      > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > >>Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...
                      > >

                      > > Yes, unless you're going to be going to San Carlos, in which case
                      it
                      > > might be best to have an 840 instead of the 1120.
                      > >

                      > where is San Carlos ?
                    • Stefano P. Rosso
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                          Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                          > ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.

                          thanks jeff. is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot around
                          there ? 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day weekend
                          to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends in
                          the US (tons in brazil)
                        • kiteboard2000
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                            --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

                            > is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot around
                            > there ?

                            Only in a private plane.

                            > 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day weekend
                            > to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends
                            in
                            > the US (tons in brazil)

                            Actually we don't have ANY 4-day weekends, but lots of folks just
                            take a vacation day on the Monday following a Friday holiday (or vice-
                            versa).

                            Mel
                          • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                              In a message dated 11/6/2002 12:52:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                              jquick1@... writes:

                              > San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                              > border.

                              Been going to SFelipe since '79.
                              its 125 miles south of Mexicali or about 2 hrs from the border, BUT it is
                              about 4 hrs from San Diego (Hwy 8 to 111 south to Mex Hwy 5)
                              about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving over a 5 day period.
                              Last year my friend Al and I got 15-20mph wind Thurs-Sat, then 30+mph on Sun
                              who knows this year.
                              for more info go to http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx
                              Yariba!
                              Scott

                            • Jeff Quick
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                                Correction, yes it is 4 hours or so from San Diego, not from the
                                border. Sorry for the cOnFuSiOn! ;-)

                                Jeffro

                                --- In kitesurf@y..., LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
                                > In a message dated 11/6/2002 12:52:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                > jquick1@h... writes:
                                >

                                > > San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                                > > border.
                                > >

                                > Been going to SFelipe since '79.
                                > its 125 miles south of Mexicali or about 2 hrs from the border, BUT
                                it is
                                > about 4 hrs from San Diego (Hwy 8 to 111 south to Mex Hwy 5)
                                > about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving over a 5 day
                                period.
                                > Last year my friend Al and I got 15-20mph wind Thurs-Sat, then
                                30+mph on Sun
                                > who knows this year.
                                > for more info go to http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx
                                > Yariba!
                                > Scott

                              • Jeff Quick
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                                  Yea, Mel is right...

                                  You'll need a private plane.. These places can be RAW...you'll have
                                  to bring a tent, etc. Nothing around for miles.

                                  Some of the small mexican towns off of Highway 1 have motels
                                  though...a few are top notch, and others are like sleeping in an
                                  alleyway with a bed. Fun or not? depends on your perspective! ;-)

                                  Of course the kiting is phenomenal.

                                  For 4 day weekends...depends on your job, but some companies these
                                  days want ALL of your time... including your weekends...

                                  Jeffro

                                  PS: The past few days in San Diego have been pretty damn good... 15-
                                  18 MPH steady. Huge swell is on the way to make it even more fun.
                                  So we do get our days...just dont know WHEN it will blow.

                                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                                  > Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                                  > > ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.
                                  >

                                  > thanks jeff. is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot
                                  around
                                  > there ? 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day
                                  weekend
                                  > to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends
                                  in
                                  > the US (tons in brazil)
                                • kiteboard2000
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                                    --- In kitesurf@y..., LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:

                                    > Been going to SFelipe since '79...

                                    > about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving

                                    I'm sure Scott will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe San Felipe
                                    blows from Thanksgiving nearly THROUGH Easter. I've also heard that
                                    Lake Mojave is a pretty good bet all winter too, but I don't know how
                                    gusty it is. For that matter, I can't remember how gusty it is at
                                    San Felipe (only been there when I used to windsurf).

                                    Mel
                                  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 7, 2002
                                      In a message dated 11/6/2002 7:54:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                      kiteboarder@... writes:

                                      > but I believe San Felipe
                                      > blows from Thanksgiving nearly THROUGH Easter. I've also heard that
                                      > Lake Mojave is a pretty good bet all winter too, but I don't know how
                                      > gusty it is. For that matter, I can't remember how gusty it is at
                                      > San Felipe (only been there when I used to windsurf

                                      been to Lake Mojave 1x at Thanksgiving time - won't go back, too cold and too
                                      gusty.

                                      SFelipe is not gusty, its steady ocean breezes. However it can blow Santa Ana
                                      winds during Thanksgiving from NE, 30-40mph due to a High Pressure system
                                      over 4 corners, this happens only 10-20% of the time. Clearing winds from a
                                      passing storm to the North is frequent though - with it being rainy in LA/SD
                                      - a clearing wind scenario is possible, with frontal winds too. Its warmer
                                      water and air in San Felipe than US, which of course is nice!
                                      Scott