Re: [ksurf] Re: So cal winds

  • Stefano P. Rosso
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
      in Sao Paulo where i live i am frustrated a lot of the time... i guess
      it will be the same then...

      > Stefano,
      >
      > Stay in Brazil, man. Salt Creek is awesome for surf, just a little
      > bit north of Trestles, but the wind never blows there, especially in
      > the winter. Orange County sucks for kiting, but you are sandwiched
      > by San Diego and L.A. San Diego is decent in the summer, nothing you
      > would travel for though, but in the summer you can kite almost
      > everyday at Long Beach (Belmont), or Cabrillo, where Tom (Mel)
      > kites. In the winter, my opinion is that San Diego is better than
      > L.A. The main thing about kiting in Orange County is that you need
      > to not have a job. If you are relying on getting wind on the
      > weekends you will be frustrated a lot of the time.
      >
      > Good Luck,
      > Dorf
    • Stefano P. Rosso
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
        Ok so the winter sucks... in the april through october months - how
        often is it more like 12 knots rather than 8 ? would i ever ride my 1120
        ? or 840 ? or should i just sell them for a 1510 ?

        >>Mel and other SO cal kitesurfers...
        >>I ... at a beach called
        >>Salt Creek. he told me that its veyr rarely windy around there.
        >

        > Never heard of it.
        >

        >>how many sailable weekend days i can
        >>expect (with say a quiver of arcs 1510 to 840).
        >

        > Assuming that 1510 will get you going in under 10 knots (maybe 8?)
        > I'd say most weekend days from around April through October (about 44
        > weekend days out of about 60). In the "winter", it's probably more
        > like 3 weekend days per month, for a total of about 15 days out of
        > about 44.
        >
        > For the "winter" keep in mind La Ventana is only a 2 1/2 hour flight
        > + 1/2 hour shuttle.
        >
        > Mel
      • Stefano P. Rosso
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
          Jeff Quick wrote:
          > Ya I agree...its going to suck living here as a kiter.

          shit.. i was hoping for an improvement but it sounds just like where i
          live now !

          > To get a wind fix, Baja Mexico is a few hours south...or round point
          > conception a few hours north to Jalama, Pismo, or Morro Bay.
          >
          > hope this helps,
          > jeffro

          thanks for the help
        • Stefano P. Rosso
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
            kiteboard2000 wrote:
            > The others have brought up some good points. It depends on WHERE in
            > SoCal you're living/working/driving, because for more do-able weekend
            > trips: if you're further south then San Carlos, & if you're further
            > north then Pt. Conception. Your location is more critical than the
            > distances may appear, due to traffic (unless you make a setup for
            > carrying your gear by motorbike). Also you mentioned Orange county,
            > the northern border of which is the dividing line between Seal &
            > Belmont, & is about 30 min. from Cabrillo (more practical if it's
            > dead at Belmont, since then there may actually be a few others here
            > to help launch & land). That's what I was basing my estimate on.
            >
            > Mel

            ok thanks... i think I would be about a 40 minute drive from belmont...
            to the south... well see... nothings sure yet...
          • kiteboard2000
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

              > Ok so the winter sucks... in the april through october months - how
              > often is it more like 12 knots rather than 8 ? would i ever ride my
              1120
              > ? or 840 ? or should i just sell them for a 1510 ?

              I can't remember how big you are, but if a 1510 is even an option for
              you, you must be bigger than me. That means you'll be using a 1510 a
              lot, an 1120 quite a bit (depending on your weight), & never need an
              840 (I rarely even NEED mine, it's just more fun in 18 knots, & MUCH
              more fun in 20 or those rare 25 knot days that come out of nowhere).

              Mel
            • kiteboard2000
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

                > ok thanks... i think I would be about a 40 minute drive from
                belmont...
                > to the south... well see... nothings sure yet...

                So that makes you about 1:10 from Cabrillo, but closer to San Carlos
                (which is VERY nice from nearly March through Nov*, by all acounts)
                than if you lived at Belmont.

                *not quite really, but since it blows about a kite-size harder there
                than here, the season is longer, if you're using your "SoCal" sized
                kite at San Carlos.

                Have you checked out the archives at iwindsurf.com? It might take a
                while (60 days to check for summer weekends, times 2 if you want to
                check Cabrillo as well as Seal-Belmont) but you can enter any date
                you want & get the chart with readings at 20 minute intervals.

                Mel
              • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 2, 2002
                  In a message dated 11/1/2002 5:35:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  kiteboarder@... writes:

                  > checked out the archives at iwindsurf.com?

                  ikitesurf.com

                  hey Stefano - Mel, is giving you some good details. Dont worry about SoCal,
                  you can do A LOT worse and NOT muchbetter by being located here.
                  Because of mild air & water temps, we kite here ALL
                  year long. Sure,Late Fall & Winter are not as consistent, but would you
                  rather be in freezing water or snow?
                  One good Spring&Summer here, is better than LOTS of other places.
                  The beaches here are really nice for friendly launching and landing (xcept
                  maybe Cabrillo). Sea Breeze picks up between 1pm-3pm most days.
                  Avg wind from North Orange County to Santa Barbara is 12-20 mph, 3-7 days out
                  of the week in Spring&Summer.
                  Oh sure, we have low clouds that can shut off or reduce seabreezes, but there
                  are work arounds with other locations to drive to.
                  Too bad you'll be located in North San Diego-or South OC,
                  you will have to drive most times -
                  Enjoy La Vida Viento Loca !
                  Scott

                  ifeelthesharpbladeofcausticremarkescomingupmyspinefrompeoplethataresupposedfri

                  ends.

                • Stefano P. Rosso
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                    > I can't remember how big you are, but if a 1510 is even an option for
                    > you, you must be bigger than me. That means you'll be using a 1510 a
                    > lot, an 1120 quite a bit (depending on your weight), & never need an
                    > 840 (I rarely even NEED mine, it's just more fun in 18 knots, & MUCH
                    > more fun in 20 or those rare 25 knot days that come out of nowhere).

                    Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...
                  • kiteboard2000
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

                      > Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...

                      Yes, unless you're going to be going to San Carlos, in which case it
                      might be best to have an 840 instead of the 1120.

                      Mel
                    • Jeff Quick
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                        San Carlos is just over 8 hours south of the USA/Mexico Border and
                        requires off road driving the last stretch of the way.

                        There are a few spots north of san carlos with winds 'almost as good'
                        and much less of a driving commitment. the further south you go from
                        the border, the more you start getting out of the shadowing effects
                        of point conception...so you get more of the predominant wind effect
                        to kick off and help boost the local thermal winds. Mid-summer can
                        get gusty though as the deserts form heat pockets that chop up the
                        wind. Its still better than no wind.

                        San Carlos is EPIC if you want perfect wave sailing, but you'll be
                        sharing the spot with hard-core windsurfers. It blows mainly in the
                        spring/summer months. I am sure it still blows in winter, but
                        probably not as much. Alot of people start heading to the other side
                        to San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                        border.

                        So there are options when the wind is dead in So Cal. And keep in
                        mind... when you DO get wind in So Cal, its probably going to be
                        better than alot of other really windy places... Tourmaline in San
                        Diego is one of the best spots in the world to ride...but it doesnt
                        blow there all that often...and its Mega-crowded with surfers and
                        kitesurfers, even when the wind is nuking...as the surf never really
                        blows out. Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                        ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.

                        Jeffro

                        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                        > kiteboard2000 wrote:
                        > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > >>Im 80 kg... i guess the best quiver is a 1510 and 1120...
                        > >

                        > > Yes, unless you're going to be going to San Carlos, in which case
                        it
                        > > might be best to have an 840 instead of the 1120.
                        > >

                        > where is San Carlos ?
                      • Stefano P. Rosso
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                            Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                            > ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.

                            thanks jeff. is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot around
                            there ? 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day weekend
                            to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends in
                            the US (tons in brazil)
                          • kiteboard2000
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                              --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:

                              > is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot around
                              > there ?

                              Only in a private plane.

                              > 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day weekend
                              > to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends
                              in
                              > the US (tons in brazil)

                              Actually we don't have ANY 4-day weekends, but lots of folks just
                              take a vacation day on the Monday following a Friday holiday (or vice-
                              versa).

                              Mel
                            • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                                In a message dated 11/6/2002 12:52:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                jquick1@... writes:

                                > San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                                > border.

                                Been going to SFelipe since '79.
                                its 125 miles south of Mexicali or about 2 hrs from the border, BUT it is
                                about 4 hrs from San Diego (Hwy 8 to 111 south to Mex Hwy 5)
                                about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving over a 5 day period.
                                Last year my friend Al and I got 15-20mph wind Thurs-Sat, then 30+mph on Sun
                                who knows this year.
                                for more info go to http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx
                                Yariba!
                                Scott

                              • Jeff Quick
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                                  Correction, yes it is 4 hours or so from San Diego, not from the
                                  border. Sorry for the cOnFuSiOn! ;-)

                                  Jeffro

                                  --- In kitesurf@y..., LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
                                  > In a message dated 11/6/2002 12:52:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                  > jquick1@h... writes:
                                  >

                                  > > San Felipe (on the gulf side)...about 4 hours south of the other
                                  > > border.
                                  > >

                                  > Been going to SFelipe since '79.
                                  > its 125 miles south of Mexicali or about 2 hrs from the border, BUT
                                  it is
                                  > about 4 hrs from San Diego (Hwy 8 to 111 south to Mex Hwy 5)
                                  > about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving over a 5 day
                                  period.
                                  > Last year my friend Al and I got 15-20mph wind Thurs-Sat, then
                                  30+mph on Sun
                                  > who knows this year.
                                  > for more info go to http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx
                                  > Yariba!
                                  > Scott

                                • Jeff Quick
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                                    Yea, Mel is right...

                                    You'll need a private plane.. These places can be RAW...you'll have
                                    to bring a tent, etc. Nothing around for miles.

                                    Some of the small mexican towns off of Highway 1 have motels
                                    though...a few are top notch, and others are like sleeping in an
                                    alleyway with a bed. Fun or not? depends on your perspective! ;-)

                                    Of course the kiting is phenomenal.

                                    For 4 day weekends...depends on your job, but some companies these
                                    days want ALL of your time... including your weekends...

                                    Jeffro

                                    PS: The past few days in San Diego have been pretty damn good... 15-
                                    18 MPH steady. Huge swell is on the way to make it even more fun.
                                    So we do get our days...just dont know WHEN it will blow.

                                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano P. Rosso" <stefano@o...> wrote:
                                    > Aside from that you'll think So Cal is the place to
                                    > > ride...which will wear off after 2 months of no 'good' wind.
                                    >

                                    > thanks jeff. is it possible to fly to sancarlos or another spot
                                    around
                                    > there ? 8 hours of driving is pretty tough... you need a 4 day
                                    weekend
                                    > to make it worthwhile and i hear they dont have many 4 day weekends
                                    in
                                    > the US (tons in brazil)
                                  • kiteboard2000
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
                                      --- In kitesurf@y..., LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:

                                      > Been going to SFelipe since '79...

                                      > about a 40-60% -chance of wind during Thanksgiving

                                      I'm sure Scott will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe San Felipe
                                      blows from Thanksgiving nearly THROUGH Easter. I've also heard that
                                      Lake Mojave is a pretty good bet all winter too, but I don't know how
                                      gusty it is. For that matter, I can't remember how gusty it is at
                                      San Felipe (only been there when I used to windsurf).

                                      Mel
                                    • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 7, 2002
                                        In a message dated 11/6/2002 7:54:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                        kiteboarder@... writes:

                                        > but I believe San Felipe
                                        > blows from Thanksgiving nearly THROUGH Easter. I've also heard that
                                        > Lake Mojave is a pretty good bet all winter too, but I don't know how
                                        > gusty it is. For that matter, I can't remember how gusty it is at
                                        > San Felipe (only been there when I used to windsurf

                                        been to Lake Mojave 1x at Thanksgiving time - won't go back, too cold and too
                                        gusty.

                                        SFelipe is not gusty, its steady ocean breezes. However it can blow Santa Ana
                                        winds during Thanksgiving from NE, 30-40mph due to a High Pressure system
                                        over 4 corners, this happens only 10-20% of the time. Clearing winds from a
                                        passing storm to the North is frequent though - with it being rainy in LA/SD
                                        - a clearing wind scenario is possible, with frontal winds too. Its warmer
                                        water and air in San Felipe than US, which of course is nice!
                                        Scott