Re: underground decks

  • kujira99jp
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hey Nick,
      How's it going? You've got 25 knots forecast for 3 days, so have we
      but it's still 24 degrees here in Okinawa! Have you heard there's a
      2 day contest being held here from tomorrow? Apparently some of the
      Jap pro's will be coming, and some new gear available for demo.
      Anyways, I've got a WT 137 and find the anti-slip does help when you
      want to start in shallow water- stick one foot in the strap, dive the
      kite and step on the board with the other foot. Once you're out into
      deeper water you can feel your foot into the other strap. A useful
      technique here, unless you enjoy picking sharp bits of coral out of
      your arse!
      Cheers, Jason.

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
      > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
      > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone enlighten
      > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for the
      next
      > 3 days!
      >
      > Nick
    • kiteboardingjapan
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
        Hey Jason,

        Long time no see. I was supposed to be going down to the competition
        myself, but work here is still really busy. Let me know how it goes.
        I suppose you know that Tomaru got third in the comp in Chiba. I'm
        sure he'll put on a good display. Do you know which pros are coming.
        Tomo, who often rides with us here came 9th in New Calidonia last
        week. Maybe he and Higashiyama are going from New Cal to Okinawa.

        The Forecast is 25, but it looks as if it's going to be too strong
        this weekend. Last weekend it was 35+ which is too much for me. The
        temperature here is also dropping rapidly. Wish I could go back to
        Okinawa again this winter. November is the start of your best season,
        right? Enjoy the contest...

        Nick

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "kujira99jp" <kujira99@h...> wrote:
        > Hey Nick,
        > How's it going? You've got 25 knots forecast for 3 days, so have
        we
        > but it's still 24 degrees here in Okinawa! Have you heard there's
        > 2 day contest being held here from tomorrow? Apparently some of
        the
        > Jap pro's will be coming, and some new gear available for demo.
        > Anyways, I've got a WT 137 and find the anti-slip does help when
        you
        > want to start in shallow water- stick one foot in the strap, dive
        the
        > kite and step on the board with the other foot. Once you're out
        into
        > deeper water you can feel your foot into the other strap. A useful
        > technique here, unless you enjoy picking sharp bits of coral out of
        > your arse!
        > Cheers, Jason.
        >
        > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
        > > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
        > > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone
        enlighten
        > > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for the
        > next
        > > 3 days!
        > >
        > > Nick
      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
          They actually breed illegal immigrants from Russia at the Underground, they
          even have a trained one they keep as a pet, they only feed him coffee!
          The rest they feed a specially researched blend of cereal, fibreglass, and
          sand, all in a clear resin soup, this provokes a strong allergic reaction,
          and the mixture is sneezed onto each board, all natural
          finish.....................................

          Actually I am more interested in what people have to say about the board,
          and what sizes of fins people are using.
          I am getting a lot of people wanting to use up to 60mm/2.5" fins on them but
          on the last models the DT's abd LT's etc people rarely used more than 40mm
          fins.
          I hope you and Nick get some wind to test the boards.
          Cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          open 7 days, every week.

          > Message: 18
          > Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:28:01 -0000
          > From: "hernanhome" <hernanhome@...>
          > Subject: Re: underground decks, any decks
          >
          > Nick:
          > I have a new wt142 and have no anti-skip. Underground was a
          > windsurf board factory so, i think, they are used to this type of
          > finish. On the other hand is far less work as you dont have to
          > sand and polish the deck as when you want a polished finish. (I
          > have done more than 400 custom windsurfboards)
          > I personally thing that non-skid on kiteboard is a bad thing. Last
          > year I "sand my knee" to the bone in a wipeout over a hard non
          > skid board (naish).
          > If yours have it, sand it without fear (sandpaper 120-150), until
          > you get a soft and even texture.
          >
          > Enjoy your board, post coments later.
          > ( Im trying to found the best fin config. yet)
          >

          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
          > > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip
          > coating. I
          > > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone
          > enlighten
          > > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for
          > the next
          > > 3 days!
          > >
          > > Nick
        • purdyd
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
            > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
            > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone enlighten
            > me?

            I talked with Adrian Roper about this

            1) it is easier to make then perfectly smooth
            2) is is easier to grab the board

            I personally sand down the whole board. I would say it is easier to
            sand down grip than add it. I don't think I would like it perfectly
            smooth.

            David
          • pkckite
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
              I personally like the grip on it , but wish he would take it out
              from just under the center handle where your hands get scraped up
              on no foot stuff. But at times I land without my foot in the strap
              and the grip has saved my landings.

              Prokitesurf.com