RE: [ksurf] Mastair - depowering

  • Mark Pronk
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi there,

      The MastAir 12 i've got is like your 7 not a real beginners kite. It's a
      nerve-wrecking thing in the beginning. So is your 7, but probably even a bit
      more nervous then the 12.

      BUT....

      Since it's still a great kite when you're used to it, take your time for it!
      It took us some sessions to get it overhead a bit more relaxed. It takes
      time (it took me some time) to get used to it.

      Some tips: Try to get it overhead without depowering it too much. If you do
      depower too much it will overfly! Try to get it running. So, get the kite
      going on the side of the window, and depower it and you'll see it will pick
      up speed, power, and it will get you going like hell!!! Then, when the
      speeds there, try going upwind, and you'll see the kite will generate a LOT
      of apparent wind and you won't bee needing any sining or tricks then. Just
      cruzing.

      Have fun!

      mARC

      Have fun kiting, whatever you fly!
      http://www.foils.tk http://www.foils.nl

      >Hi, I have justbought a mastair 7 kite.
      >
      >I got it to use in winds that are too high for my other kite (Wipika
      >FreeAir 11m.
      >
      >However having flown it in about 17-20 knots of wind I found it
      >REALLY powerful and also difficult to control.The kite didnt seem
      >very steady and totally by accident I got picked up over 3 metres and
      >dumped back onto the ground, sore.
      >
      >I know these kites are supposed to be great, and when you can fly
      >them, way better than LEI kites. But I was wondering how people who
      >use them depower the kite, and is it possible to leave the kite at
      >the edge of the window and not always be turning it across the window.
      >
      >Thanks

    • Jo Macdonald
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
        Hi Guy,
        Like mARC said it's not an easy kite at first and you really should
        get used to in in less wind, if it's nervous and too powerfull. Make
        sure the brake lines are the same length and haven't ridden up the
        leaders, this can ruin the trim. I also found that putting another
        knot lower in the depower and trying different trims worked.
        The kite will have less power but be more stable except at zenith
        where it'll tend to overfly as Mark said if you're using too much
        depower or have shortened the depower too much even with the bar at
        full power.
        Mark where the knot is now so you can go back to the original
        setting the make another knot about 3cm lower, which will also
        shorten the top knot by about 4 cm as some rope is used in the
        second knot. Try each knot in lighter wind to see which is best, the
        rope is thick and you can move them always, remember that the kite
        will fly further towards the edge of the window in light wind and
        further back in stronger stuff with the same trim.
        If you use the search function for "Mastair" there's loads of old
        stuff on the forum.
        Have fun and let us know how you get on.
        Jo