Re: [ksurf] underground decks

  • callum_downie
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
      It's saved my but a few times when one foot has come out, having a
      bit of grip helps steady yourself before slipping back into the
      strap...

      --- In kitesurf@y..., Dreadlord 2 <dreadlord2@h...> wrote:
      > it is for grabs, it is more esthetic than a holder.. and you can
      grab all
      > parts of your board during tricks
      >
      > Greg
      > >Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
      > >can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone enlighten
      > >me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for the
      next
      > >3 days!
      > >
      > >Nick
      > >

      > >This group is sponsored by KITEHIGH.COM
      > >Kiteboarding Lessons & 120 pages gear & info.
      > >Naish, Cabrinha, Airush, Wipika, Takoon, PL, LWD, Liquid Force,
      > >Earthboards, Pro Limits, NSI, and more ...
      > >Since '99 - http://www.KITEHIGH.COM

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • hernanhome
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
        Nick:
        I have a new wt142 and have no anti-skip. Underground was a
        windsurf board factory so, i think, they are used to this type of
        finish. On the other hand is far less work as you dont have to
        sand and polish the deck as when you want a polished finish. (I
        have done more than 400 custom windsurfboards)
        I personally thing that non-skid on kiteboard is a bad thing. Last
        year I "sand my knee" to the bone in a wipeout over a hard non
        skid board (naish).
        If yours have it, sand it without fear (sandpaper 120-150), until
        you get a soft and even texture.

        Enjoy your board, post coments later.
        ( Im trying to found the best fin config. yet)

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
        > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip
        coating. I
        > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone
        enlighten
        > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for
        the next
        > 3 days!
        >
        > Nick
      • kiteboardingjapan
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
          Does anyone find that the non-slip around the grab handle hurts their
          hands? I haven't tried the board on the water yet, but it seems like
          this area may be best sanded down a bit.

          Nick

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "hernanhome" <hernanhome@i...> wrote:
          > Nick:
          > I have a new wt142 and have no anti-skip. Underground was a
          > windsurf board factory so, i think, they are used to this type of
          > finish. On the other hand is far less work as you dont have to
          > sand and polish the deck as when you want a polished finish. (I
          > have done more than 400 custom windsurfboards)
          > I personally thing that non-skid on kiteboard is a bad thing. Last
          > year I "sand my knee" to the bone in a wipeout over a hard non
          > skid board (naish).
          > If yours have it, sand it without fear (sandpaper 120-150), until
          > you get a soft and even texture.
          >
          > Enjoy your board, post coments later.
          > ( Im trying to found the best fin config. yet)
          >

          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
          > > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip
          > coating. I
          > > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone
          > enlighten
          > > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for
          > the next
          > > 3 days!
          > >
          > > Nick
        • kujira99jp
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
            Hey Nick,
            How's it going? You've got 25 knots forecast for 3 days, so have we
            but it's still 24 degrees here in Okinawa! Have you heard there's a
            2 day contest being held here from tomorrow? Apparently some of the
            Jap pro's will be coming, and some new gear available for demo.
            Anyways, I've got a WT 137 and find the anti-slip does help when you
            want to start in shallow water- stick one foot in the strap, dive the
            kite and step on the board with the other foot. Once you're out into
            deeper water you can feel your foot into the other strap. A useful
            technique here, unless you enjoy picking sharp bits of coral out of
            your arse!
            Cheers, Jason.

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
            > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
            > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone enlighten
            > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for the
            next
            > 3 days!
            >
            > Nick
          • kiteboardingjapan
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
              Hey Jason,

              Long time no see. I was supposed to be going down to the competition
              myself, but work here is still really busy. Let me know how it goes.
              I suppose you know that Tomaru got third in the comp in Chiba. I'm
              sure he'll put on a good display. Do you know which pros are coming.
              Tomo, who often rides with us here came 9th in New Calidonia last
              week. Maybe he and Higashiyama are going from New Cal to Okinawa.

              The Forecast is 25, but it looks as if it's going to be too strong
              this weekend. Last weekend it was 35+ which is too much for me. The
              temperature here is also dropping rapidly. Wish I could go back to
              Okinawa again this winter. November is the start of your best season,
              right? Enjoy the contest...

              Nick

              --- In kitesurf@y..., "kujira99jp" <kujira99@h...> wrote:
              > Hey Nick,
              > How's it going? You've got 25 knots forecast for 3 days, so have
              we
              > but it's still 24 degrees here in Okinawa! Have you heard there's
              > 2 day contest being held here from tomorrow? Apparently some of
              the
              > Jap pro's will be coming, and some new gear available for demo.
              > Anyways, I've got a WT 137 and find the anti-slip does help when
              you
              > want to start in shallow water- stick one foot in the strap, dive
              the
              > kite and step on the board with the other foot. Once you're out
              into
              > deeper water you can feel your foot into the other strap. A useful
              > technique here, unless you enjoy picking sharp bits of coral out of
              > your arse!
              > Cheers, Jason.
              >
              > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
              > > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
              > > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone
              enlighten
              > > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for the
              > next
              > > 3 days!
              > >
              > > Nick
            • Kitepower
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                They actually breed illegal immigrants from Russia at the Underground, they
                even have a trained one they keep as a pet, they only feed him coffee!
                The rest they feed a specially researched blend of cereal, fibreglass, and
                sand, all in a clear resin soup, this provokes a strong allergic reaction,
                and the mixture is sneezed onto each board, all natural
                finish.....................................

                Actually I am more interested in what people have to say about the board,
                and what sizes of fins people are using.
                I am getting a lot of people wanting to use up to 60mm/2.5" fins on them but
                on the last models the DT's abd LT's etc people rarely used more than 40mm
                fins.
                I hope you and Nick get some wind to test the boards.
                Cya and
                Goodwinds
                Steve McCormack
                http://www.kitepower.com.au
                open 7 days, every week.

                > Message: 18
                > Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:28:01 -0000
                > From: "hernanhome" <hernanhome@...>
                > Subject: Re: underground decks, any decks
                >
                > Nick:
                > I have a new wt142 and have no anti-skip. Underground was a
                > windsurf board factory so, i think, they are used to this type of
                > finish. On the other hand is far less work as you dont have to
                > sand and polish the deck as when you want a polished finish. (I
                > have done more than 400 custom windsurfboards)
                > I personally thing that non-skid on kiteboard is a bad thing. Last
                > year I "sand my knee" to the bone in a wipeout over a hard non
                > skid board (naish).
                > If yours have it, sand it without fear (sandpaper 120-150), until
                > you get a soft and even texture.
                >
                > Enjoy your board, post coments later.
                > ( Im trying to found the best fin config. yet)
                >

                > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
                > > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip
                > coating. I
                > > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone
                > enlighten
                > > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for
                > the next
                > > 3 days!
                > >
                > > Nick
              • purdyd
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
                  > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
                  > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone enlighten
                  > me?

                  I talked with Adrian Roper about this

                  1) it is easier to make then perfectly smooth
                  2) is is easier to grab the board

                  I personally sand down the whole board. I would say it is easier to
                  sand down grip than add it. I don't think I would like it perfectly
                  smooth.

                  David
                • pkckite
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
                    I personally like the grip on it , but wish he would take it out
                    from just under the center handle where your hands get scraped up
                    on no foot stuff. But at times I land without my foot in the strap
                    and the grip has saved my landings.

                    Prokitesurf.com