Re: Need Opinions on Concept Air kites

  • Greg Walsh
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
      If it's the New Wave and it's cheap enough then buy it. Cheap is very
      cheap say US$100-200. It will be a pretty good first foil. Very
      stable, very easy to relaunch. It will require a fair amount of skill
      to get the full range out of it but for beginner fumblings it will be
      fine.

      If it is the Wave Ex and you're not prepared to suffer then do not
      buy it unless it is a throw away price US$50. You can kitesurf with
      the Wave Ex but keeping it in the air and relaunching and range are
      all a bit iffy. They do however pull like a truck.

      The good thing about foils is that with a bit of research and some
      effort with some rope and a couple of pulleys and a sewing machine
      you can improve them. The New Wave would be a pretty good platform
      for a few improvements.

      Regards

      Greg
    • glucas22
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
        I use The New Wave 9.3, 6.3 and 4.9. I really enjoy them. The only
        durability problem I have had is a small seam tear from not
        being careful picking the kite up with water in it. I have not used
        anything else so I cannot comment on how much better anything else is
        but I have enjoyed using them. I launch and land them myself in the
        water as there is no beach to launch from here. As long as I can
        stand in the water far enough out to drift launch I can solo launch
        the kites. I have used them in Florida a number of times and find I
        enjoy them even more there, as the wind is very gusty where I live
        and much more steady in Florida on the Gulf beaches.

        I use the third line to power up and depower the kite quite a lot. I
        do not use the adjustment strap. Instead I grab the strap and pull it
        to the bar with one hand. I slide my hand back and forth along the
        bar with the strap to power up and down quickly. This way I can
        instantly release the considerable extra pull if I get over powered
        in a gust.

        I also use the kites on the snow and I find they are great for that
        as well.

        As a beginner, I think you will find the slower speed of the kite
        easier to deal with. The kite also parks easily especially with some
        pull on the third line. I would be careful of not going out over
        powered as a beginner as I have found that once overpowered with the
        9.3 New Wave things get out of hand quickly.

        Very powered up I find it easier to keep the kite high rather than
        low. I find it easier to keep my speed down that way. It is the
        opposite to what I read on the list but it works for me with my
        kites.