underground decks

  • kiteboardingjapan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31 10:43 PM
      Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
      can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone enlighten
      me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for the next
      3 days!

      Nick
    • Dreadlord 2
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31 10:48 PM
        it is for grabs, it is more esthetic than a holder.. and you can grab all
        parts of your board during tricks

        Greg
        >Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
        >can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone enlighten
        >me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for the next
        >3 days!
        >
        >Nick
        >

        >This group is sponsored by KITEHIGH.COM
        >Kiteboarding Lessons & 120 pages gear & info.
        >Naish, Cabrinha, Airush, Wipika, Takoon, PL, LWD, Liquid Force,
        >Earthboards, Pro Limits, NSI, and more ...
        >Since '99 - http://www.KITEHIGH.COM

      • callum_downie
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
          It's saved my but a few times when one foot has come out, having a
          bit of grip helps steady yourself before slipping back into the
          strap...

          --- In kitesurf@y..., Dreadlord 2 <dreadlord2@h...> wrote:
          > it is for grabs, it is more esthetic than a holder.. and you can
          grab all
          > parts of your board during tricks
          >
          > Greg
          > >Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
          > >can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone enlighten
          > >me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for the
          next
          > >3 days!
          > >
          > >Nick
          > >

          > >This group is sponsored by KITEHIGH.COM
          > >Kiteboarding Lessons & 120 pages gear & info.
          > >Naish, Cabrinha, Airush, Wipika, Takoon, PL, LWD, Liquid Force,
          > >Earthboards, Pro Limits, NSI, and more ...
          > >Since '99 - http://www.KITEHIGH.COM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • hernanhome
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
            Nick:
            I have a new wt142 and have no anti-skip. Underground was a
            windsurf board factory so, i think, they are used to this type of
            finish. On the other hand is far less work as you dont have to
            sand and polish the deck as when you want a polished finish. (I
            have done more than 400 custom windsurfboards)
            I personally thing that non-skid on kiteboard is a bad thing. Last
            year I "sand my knee" to the bone in a wipeout over a hard non
            skid board (naish).
            If yours have it, sand it without fear (sandpaper 120-150), until
            you get a soft and even texture.

            Enjoy your board, post coments later.
            ( Im trying to found the best fin config. yet)

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
            > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip
            coating. I
            > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone
            enlighten
            > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for
            the next
            > 3 days!
            >
            > Nick
          • kiteboardingjapan
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
              Does anyone find that the non-slip around the grab handle hurts their
              hands? I haven't tried the board on the water yet, but it seems like
              this area may be best sanded down a bit.

              Nick

              --- In kitesurf@y..., "hernanhome" <hernanhome@i...> wrote:
              > Nick:
              > I have a new wt142 and have no anti-skip. Underground was a
              > windsurf board factory so, i think, they are used to this type of
              > finish. On the other hand is far less work as you dont have to
              > sand and polish the deck as when you want a polished finish. (I
              > have done more than 400 custom windsurfboards)
              > I personally thing that non-skid on kiteboard is a bad thing. Last
              > year I "sand my knee" to the bone in a wipeout over a hard non
              > skid board (naish).
              > If yours have it, sand it without fear (sandpaper 120-150), until
              > you get a soft and even texture.
              >
              > Enjoy your board, post coments later.
              > ( Im trying to found the best fin config. yet)
              >

              > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
              > > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip
              > coating. I
              > > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone
              > enlighten
              > > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for
              > the next
              > > 3 days!
              > >
              > > Nick
            • kujira99jp
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                Hey Nick,
                How's it going? You've got 25 knots forecast for 3 days, so have we
                but it's still 24 degrees here in Okinawa! Have you heard there's a
                2 day contest being held here from tomorrow? Apparently some of the
                Jap pro's will be coming, and some new gear available for demo.
                Anyways, I've got a WT 137 and find the anti-slip does help when you
                want to start in shallow water- stick one foot in the strap, dive the
                kite and step on the board with the other foot. Once you're out into
                deeper water you can feel your foot into the other strap. A useful
                technique here, unless you enjoy picking sharp bits of coral out of
                your arse!
                Cheers, Jason.

                --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
                > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
                > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone enlighten
                > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for the
                next
                > 3 days!
                >
                > Nick
              • kiteboardingjapan
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                  Hey Jason,

                  Long time no see. I was supposed to be going down to the competition
                  myself, but work here is still really busy. Let me know how it goes.
                  I suppose you know that Tomaru got third in the comp in Chiba. I'm
                  sure he'll put on a good display. Do you know which pros are coming.
                  Tomo, who often rides with us here came 9th in New Calidonia last
                  week. Maybe he and Higashiyama are going from New Cal to Okinawa.

                  The Forecast is 25, but it looks as if it's going to be too strong
                  this weekend. Last weekend it was 35+ which is too much for me. The
                  temperature here is also dropping rapidly. Wish I could go back to
                  Okinawa again this winter. November is the start of your best season,
                  right? Enjoy the contest...

                  Nick

                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "kujira99jp" <kujira99@h...> wrote:
                  > Hey Nick,
                  > How's it going? You've got 25 knots forecast for 3 days, so have
                  we
                  > but it's still 24 degrees here in Okinawa! Have you heard there's
                  > 2 day contest being held here from tomorrow? Apparently some of
                  the
                  > Jap pro's will be coming, and some new gear available for demo.
                  > Anyways, I've got a WT 137 and find the anti-slip does help when
                  you
                  > want to start in shallow water- stick one foot in the strap, dive
                  the
                  > kite and step on the board with the other foot. Once you're out
                  into
                  > deeper water you can feel your foot into the other strap. A useful
                  > technique here, unless you enjoy picking sharp bits of coral out of
                  > your arse!
                  > Cheers, Jason.
                  >
                  > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
                  > > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
                  > > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone
                  enlighten
                  > > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for the
                  > next
                  > > 3 days!
                  > >
                  > > Nick
                • Kitepower
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                    They actually breed illegal immigrants from Russia at the Underground, they
                    even have a trained one they keep as a pet, they only feed him coffee!
                    The rest they feed a specially researched blend of cereal, fibreglass, and
                    sand, all in a clear resin soup, this provokes a strong allergic reaction,
                    and the mixture is sneezed onto each board, all natural
                    finish.....................................

                    Actually I am more interested in what people have to say about the board,
                    and what sizes of fins people are using.
                    I am getting a lot of people wanting to use up to 60mm/2.5" fins on them but
                    on the last models the DT's abd LT's etc people rarely used more than 40mm
                    fins.
                    I hope you and Nick get some wind to test the boards.
                    Cya and
                    Goodwinds
                    Steve McCormack
                    http://www.kitepower.com.au
                    open 7 days, every week.

                    > Message: 18
                    > Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:28:01 -0000
                    > From: "hernanhome" <hernanhome@...>
                    > Subject: Re: underground decks, any decks
                    >
                    > Nick:
                    > I have a new wt142 and have no anti-skip. Underground was a
                    > windsurf board factory so, i think, they are used to this type of
                    > finish. On the other hand is far less work as you dont have to
                    > sand and polish the deck as when you want a polished finish. (I
                    > have done more than 400 custom windsurfboards)
                    > I personally thing that non-skid on kiteboard is a bad thing. Last
                    > year I "sand my knee" to the bone in a wipeout over a hard non
                    > skid board (naish).
                    > If yours have it, sand it without fear (sandpaper 120-150), until
                    > you get a soft and even texture.
                    >
                    > Enjoy your board, post coments later.
                    > ( Im trying to found the best fin config. yet)
                    >

                    > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
                    > > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip
                    > coating. I
                    > > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone
                    > enlighten
                    > > me? Got my WT 142 today, and we've got 25+ knots forcast for
                    > the next
                    > > 3 days!
                    > >
                    > > Nick
                  • purdyd
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@h...> wrote:
                      > Why does Underground spray their decks with a non-slip coating. I
                      > can't see why a board you don't gibe has it. Can someone enlighten
                      > me?

                      I talked with Adrian Roper about this

                      1) it is easier to make then perfectly smooth
                      2) is is easier to grab the board

                      I personally sand down the whole board. I would say it is easier to
                      sand down grip than add it. I don't think I would like it perfectly
                      smooth.

                      David
                    • pkckite
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
                        I personally like the grip on it , but wish he would take it out
                        from just under the center handle where your hands get scraped up
                        on no foot stuff. But at times I land without my foot in the strap
                        and the grip has saved my landings.

                        Prokitesurf.com