Slingshot Fuels

  • James
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2002
      Hi,

      Picked up my new Fuels yesterday. I got a 15 & 11m. I am hoping to
      fly them this afternoon. I laid out the 11m Fuel on top of my 9.5ARX
      and they are pretty much the same size & aspect ratio. It will be
      interesting to compare the power as it has been hard geting information
      on this as everyone has different opinions. Some people said that a 9m
      Fuel is like a 9.5 ARX, but laid out in the shop the 9m Fuel is about
      the same size as a 7.5ARX.

      Construction looks good, taped & glued seams, wear protectors on the
      end of struts and also on the top of the ribs. On the LE, the seam
      where the canopy overlaps is flat which is good, and the other seam is
      raised. On the 11m, none of the valves have stop balls to prevent
      leakage when pumping up. I thought this a little strange. I haven't
      unpacked the 15 but will be interested to see whether that has them,
      and whether it has a dump valve for the main bladder.

      The shop didn't set up the bar for me (I have been kiting longer than
      anyone working there), but it was really easy. The leash has a swivel
      either end and there is a swivel on the pully for the centre line. The
      leaders are longand quite thin (don't know how long) and the lines are
      23m. I was very disappointed that there were no instructions for bar
      set up, and that the manual looks like it is from the model 2 years
      ago. There is no insert explaining the 5 attachment points for the
      lines etc.

      Anyway, I'll hopefully get out on them in the next few days and let you
      know my thoughts.....

      See ya,
      James
    • kiteboardingjapan
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "James" <james.mccann@c...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Picked up my new Fuels yesterday. I got a 15 & 11m. I am hoping
        >to fly them this afternoon. I laid out the 11m Fuel on top of my
        >9.5ARX and they are pretty much the same size & aspect ratio ...laid
        out in the shop the 9m Fuel is about the same size as a 7.5ARX.

        Then the figures on this site must be incorrect.
        http://www.white-reef.com/Kite/Wings/Fuel_2003.htm

        > The shop didn't set up the bar for me (I have been kiting longer
        >than anyone working there), but it was really easy. The leash has a
        >swivel either end and there is a swivel on the pully for the centre
        >line. The leaders are longand quite thin (don't know how long) and
        >the lines are 23m.

        Could you tell me what the shackle on the chicken loop is (if it has
        a name on it). Also, does it release okay?

        Nick
      • Johnny
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "James" <james.mccann@c...> wrote:
          > Hi,

          > Construction looks good, taped & glued seams, wear protectors on
          the
          > end of struts and also on the top of the ribs. On the LE, the seam
          > where the canopy overlaps is flat which is good, and the other seam
          is
          > raised. On the 11m, none of the valves have stop balls to prevent
          > leakage when pumping up. I thought this a little strange. I
          haven't
          > unpacked the 15 but will be interested to see whether that has
          them,
          > and whether it has a dump valve for the main bladder.

          ""Slingshot never has and probably never will use balls in the
          valves. We like it clean and simple and at the end of the day we'd
          rather just pull the valves and watch the kite deflate rather than
          stand around squeezing our balls. You don't need those balls...you
          will soon be used to living without them. The main bladder has 2
          valves.""

          > I was very disappointed that there were no instructions for bar
          > set up, and that the manual looks like it is from the model 2 years
          > ago. There is no insert explaining the 5 attachment points for the
          > lines etc.

          ""I can fully explain the attachment points in detail if you'd like,
          just email me. I have already put this information up on
          kiteforum.com in the recent past so you could search there as
          well.""

          > Anyway, I'll hopefully get out on them in the next few days and let
          you
          > know my thoughts.....
          >
          > See ya,
          > James

          ""Please do! Share what you feel about them.""

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "James" <james.mccann@c...> wrote:
          >Then the figures on this site must be incorrect.
          http://www.white-reef.com/Kite/Wings/Fuel_2003.htm

          ""I dont think so. These sizes listed are pretty accurate""

          >Could you tell me what the shackle on the chicken loop is (if it has
          >a name on it). Also, does it release okay?

          ""Not sure of the name brand at the moment, but it seems to release
          fine under pretty heavy loads I have tested it on. More time, sand,
          salt and wear & tear will tell more.""

          Johnny
        • Federico A. Cetta
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
            The rows describing the wind range in knots, for 80 and 60 kg seems to ba
            switched...
            Also, I had understood that the aspect ratio of 2002 Fuels was medium/high
            (at least not as high as airblast or X2)
            So, is the information on the site rigth?

            Federico.

            > Construction looks good, taped & glued seams, wear protectors on
            the
            > end of struts and also on the top of the ribs. On the LE, the seam
            > where the canopy overlaps is flat which is good, and the other seam
            is
            > raised. On the 11m, none of the valves have stop balls to prevent
            > leakage when pumping up. I thought this a little strange. I
            haven't
            > unpacked the 15 but will be interested to see whether that has
            them,
            > and whether it has a dump valve for the main bladder.

            ""Slingshot never has and probably never will use balls in the
            valves. We like it clean and simple and at the end of the day we'd
            rather just pull the valves and watch the kite deflate rather than
            stand around squeezing our balls. You don't need those balls...you
            will soon be used to living without them. The main bladder has 2
            valves.""

            > I was very disappointed that there were no instructions for bar
            > set up, and that the manual looks like it is from the model 2 years
            > ago. There is no insert explaining the 5 attachment points for the
            > lines etc.

            ""I can fully explain the attachment points in detail if you'd like,
            just email me. I have already put this information up on
            kiteforum.com in the recent past so you could search there as
            well.""

            > Anyway, I'll hopefully get out on them in the next few days and let
            you
            > know my thoughts.....
            >
            > See ya,
            > James

            ""Please do! Share what you feel about them.""

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "James" <james.mccann@c...> wrote:
            >Then the figures on this site must be incorrect.
            http://www.white-reef.com/Kite/Wings/Fuel_2003.htm

            ""I dont think so. These sizes listed are pretty accurate""

            >Could you tell me what the shackle on the chicken loop is (if it has
            >a name on it). Also, does it release okay?

            ""Not sure of the name brand at the moment, but it seems to release
            fine under pretty heavy loads I have tested it on. More time, sand,
            salt and wear & tear will tell more.""

            Johnny

            This group is sponsored by KITEHIGH.COM
            Kiteboarding Lessons & 120 pages gear & info.
            Naish, Cabrinha, Airush, Wipika, Takoon, PL, LWD, Liquid Force, Earthboards,
            Pro Limits, NSI, and more ...
            Since '99 - http://www.KITEHIGH.COM

          • Jo Macdonald
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
              Hi Federico,
              What do you mean the rows are switched? If you weigh more you'll be
              able to hold the kite in more wind, weigh less-less wind.
              2002 Fuels have a medium high Ar, the 16m has an AR of 5.3, the 2003
              kites look like higher AR to me, more similar to the X2.
              Info on the white reef site looks ok to me.
              Jo

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Johnny
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2002
                I am updating our new Fuel page on monday. In the mean time, the
                information of the reef site is accurate!! This is all stuff that
                was given to them directly from SlingShot company. Whtereef didnt
                make any of it up. You will soon see comparable charts and graphics
                on othe sites with SlingShot kites on them.

                The further to the outside of the kite you attach the lines to, the
                more power the kite can handle. The only question is...how much
                power can you handle?

                I hit this forum once every week or two, sometimes less cause I just
                don't like it here and that's cause I'm just not liked here, so feel
                free to email me for any technical questions or support you may want
                or need on the brand.

                Johnny
                www.tbks.net

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
                  Hi Nick,

                  > Then the figures on this site must be incorrect.
                  > http://www.white-reef.com/Kite/Wings/Fuel_2003.htm

                  Yeah that's wierd. All the stuff I have heard is that these kites are
                  powerful for their size but who knows.

                  > Could you tell me what the shackle on the chicken loop is (if it has
                  > a name on it). Also, does it release okay?

                  The bars I got are the old ones. They don't have the QR on the chicken
                  loop. They also don't have the adjustable stopper on the chicken loop
                  line. The shop says the new bar won't be available in Australia
                  (anyone know about this?).

                  Also, had a go on the 15m last Friday. Wind was 10 - 16 knots, and at
                  times I was really powered, but also underpowered at others. I was
                  more powered than 14m X2's, and when the wind died was the last one out
                  on the water. I still need to play around with the connection points
                  to get the power sussed out. In the dealers manual it says that they
                  recommend using the 2 innermost points (this would give more power). I
                  haven't tried on these yet. I am still waiting for some proper wind.

                  James
                • pete_weatherhead
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "James" <james.mccann@c...> wrote:
                    > Hi Nick,
                    >
                    > > Then the figures on this site must be incorrect.
                    > > http://www.white-reef.com/Kite/Wings/Fuel_2003.htm
                    >
                    > Yeah that's wierd. All the stuff I have heard is that these kites
                    are
                    > powerful for their size but who knows.
                    >
                    > > Could you tell me what the shackle on the chicken loop is (if it
                    has
                    > > a name on it). Also, does it release okay?
                    >
                    > The bars I got are the old ones. They don't have the QR on the
                    chicken
                    > loop. They also don't have the adjustable stopper on the chicken
                    loop
                    > line. The shop says the new bar won't be available in Australia
                    > (anyone know about this?).

                    Ditto, I was told that the new bar would be in australia late
                    2002/early 2003.

                    > Also, had a go on the 15m last Friday. Wind was 10 - 16 knots, and
                    at
                    > times I was really powered, but also underpowered at others. I was
                    > more powered than 14m X2's, and when the wind died was the last one
                    out
                    > on the water. I still need to play around with the connection
                    points
                    > to get the power sussed out. In the dealers manual it says that
                    they
                    > recommend using the 2 innermost points (this would give more
                    power). I
                    > haven't tried on these yet. I am still waiting for some proper
                    wind.

                    I too havent played with the attachment settings so far a havent
                    moved off the outer front one, and the middle back one, because it
                    works, and feels about the same as my rhino (17m fuel), need to go to
                    the coast to get a nice consistant wind to test these different
                    points out, it just wouldnt be easy to play with here

                    Later,

                    Pete

                    > James
                  • James
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
                      Hi Pete,

                      I feel that changing the points really helps change the windrange (from
                      very limited experience playing with it). See the file I uploaded to
                      the group called "SShot2003linesettings.jpg". I really liked the
                      middle front & middle back setting. I need to get some more rope so I
                      can have pigtails on all the attachment points for quick adjustment.

                      See ya,
                      James