Re: Put adjustment on brake lines -> www.kiteproshop.com

  • theflyingtinman
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Jan Coffey" <janwcoffey@y...> wrote:
      > That's a bit differnt than what you seemed to be suggesting,
      > but now it is clear, and would clearly work.

      The kiteproshop system is NOT what Eddy described, no matter
      how you interpret it. The kiteproshop system has two, individually
      shackled front leaders exactly like my leashless system.

      Eddy clearly describes a system with a 7m long *SINGLE* front
      leader...

      In Kitesurf group Eddy wrote:
      >>>... The bar can go as far as your SINGLE frontline
      >>> goes (7 meters), THERE THE FRONTLINES SPLIT UP.

      and he put the same idea to the Arcusers group where he
      described it like this:

      >>> In emergency, JUST LET THE BAR FLY-AWAY over the MIDDLE
      >>> FFRONT LINE until it reaches the point where LINES SPLIT
      >>> UP (after 7m or so).

      (my caps)
      Such a system would NOT work.
      For a leashless system to work you must have both front
      lines attached to the harness - or at least attached close
      enough where you can release just one of the lines. This
      means you must have some kind of quick release system ...not
      just "let the bar fly away"

      Steve T.
    • kiteboard2000
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:

        > For a leashless system to work you must have both front
        > lines attached to the harness - or at least attached close
        > enough where you can release just one of the lines.

        Well said. I attach my release at the top of a short front leader
        ("free" bar).

        > This
        > means you must have some kind of quick release system ...not
        > just "let the bar fly away"

        You could attach the bar to the release mechanism, so when you "let
        the bar fly away" it activates the release. Of course if you ever
        want to let go of the bar while riding it would require a harness
        line (no stopper knot allowed).

        Mel
      • theflyingtinman
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...> wrote:

          > You could attach the bar to the release mechanism, so when you "let
          > the bar fly away" it activates the release.

          That was one of the early ideas I had and discarded because of the
          very light rear line tension on the Arcs and the large release force
          required on the shackles I forst used (this was before 3-ring circus
          releases were considered and even a center pivot Witchard wouldn't
          necessarily release with the pull of the Arc rear lines. It may be a
          good idea to have something like that as a first-chance release with
          a pull-handle/ball/loop whatever in case throwing the bar doesn't
          work.

          Steve T.
        • kiteboard2000
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:
            > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...> wrote:
            >
            > > You could attach the bar to the release mechanism, so when
            you "let
            > > the bar fly away" it activates the release.
            >
            > That was one of the early ideas I had and discarded because of the
            > very light rear line tension on the Arcs and the large release
            force
            > required on the shackles I forst used (this was before 3-ring
            circus
            > releases were considered and even a center pivot Witchard wouldn't
            > necessarily release with the pull of the Arc rear lines.

            It takes VERY little force to release a Wichard 2673. Too little
            force really, & we end up modifying them so they're harder to
            release. Also I think it would depend on where you attach the
            pigtails (TE or further forward), & also on how powered up you're
            riding (less wind = sheeted in more = more rear line load). Anyway,
            it could likely be set up like an Ocean Rodeo, so you have to push
            the bar away to make it release.

            Mel
          • stuvagas
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...> wrote:
              > It takes VERY little force to release a Wichard 2673. Too little
              > force really, & we end up modifying them so they're harder to
              > release.

              This is what I need to know what do you do to modify the shackle!!!
              I have a second hand one I picked up for next to nothing but it does
              release too easily and comes away accidently.

              What do you do?? do you increase resistance or increase the length of
              the action??

              Stu
            • kiteboard2000
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "stuvagas" <kitesurf@s...> wrote:

                > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...> wrote:
                > > It takes VERY little force to release a Wichard 2673.

                > what do you do to modify the shackle!!!

                Remove the stock release line. Tie a loop of Q-Power* through the
                opening above the release lever, & add a grab ball (<1") or ring. It
                also helps to attach the well-bungeed kite leash to the ball (with a
                quick release) since that keeps upward tension on the line, which
                needs to be pulled downward to release.

                *or similar very strong line, because if it catches on something it
                can get pulled VERY hard in the wrong (non-release) direction,
                breaking any weaker line & leaving you with no release line (still
                possible but relatively quite difficult to move the lever by hand).

                Mel