Re: [ksurf] Re: the Rhino2 10m review...additional comments

  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2002
      In a message dated 10/30/2002 2:34:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      kitesurfcapetown@... writes:

      > Thanks for pointing that out to me. I will add your comments to my
      > site. What do you think the range is for this kite, as I did not have
      > the chance to test it's low end yet. I reckon it should be about 14
      > knots to 25 knots, the sweet spot being 16 knots to 22 knots?
      >
      > Regards
      > Carlo

      Carlo & Dwight-
      If you weigh only 65 kilos !
      If you are like me - 80kilos-(Gordo!) I use my 16 I Rhino from 12 -24mph,
      sweet spot
      being 17-20mph (knots are only X 1.15 more)
      Is it fair to say a Rhino II 10 is good for me in the 22-30mph range?
      I don't know, if anyone else has this experience with it in that range. I
      have a location where it blows,
      in the Summer 18-28mph - would appreciate any feedback in that dept.
      I am waiting for local dealer to get them in and then I have to wait for the
      wind to pick up - usually NOT this time of year in LA.
      Thanks
      Scott

    • Dwight Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2002
        > Carlo & Dwight-
        > If you weigh only 65 kilos !
        > If you are like me - 80kilos-(Gordo!) I use my 16 I Rhino from 12 -
        24mph,
        > sweet spot
        > being 17-20mph (knots are only X 1.15 more)
        > Is it fair to say a Rhino II 10 is good for me in the 22-30mph
        range?
        > I don't know, if anyone else has this experience with it in that
        range. I
        > have a location where it blows,
        > in the Summer 18-28mph - would appreciate any feedback in that
        dept.
        > I am waiting for local dealer to get them in and then I have to
        wait for the
        > wind to pick up - usually NOT this time of year in LA.
        > Thanks
        > Scott

        I weigh 83 kg myself. I will be riding the 12m in winds starting at
        22 mph and up. I ride an 18m in anything under 24 mph now. The 10m
        is my wifes kite. I rode it in 20 to 25 mph winds because I wanted
        to try it. I was thrilled with the big floaty jumps I got from it.
        If my 12m had been here that day, I would have been on it. I don't
        find the power freaky strong. I'm used to North kites. It feels
        normal to me. If I were you, I'd get the 12m, with plans to replace
        that 16 with the 18 someday. These wind speeds are based on our
        summer winds. Winter wind came be different.

        Dwight

      • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2002
          In a message dated 10/30/2002 4:52:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          fishersfort@... writes:

          > If I were you, I'd get the 12m, with plans to replace
          > that 16 with the 18 someday

          Thanks Dwight-
          Interesting, with a Rhino II, that was my line of thinking on that too.

          Since it appeared to me to be more efficient - thus handling a higher wind
          range too.
          With a more efficient Rhino II 18, i want to have the same upper range as the
          Rhino I 16 or better. But I really want to have better lower wind range with
          an Rhino II 18.

          Yet, I am resigned to the fact that us 'heavier weights', really dont get
          good jumps until the wind is 13-16mph, steady. If I have to go out in under
          12mph (or 10kts), it is usually a 'windsurfing' experience, because jumps are
          non-existent. I think it is a weight factor - so, I will be doing more
          aerobic exercises(sweating) for the winter to lose 15-20lbs anyways.

          Thanks for the suggestion on the Rhino II 12m, my dealer suggested that size
          for the wind range of 22-30mph too. But I like to check things out thoroughly
          before I slap down another $1200+ for a kite!
          Scott

        • arcscot33
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2002

            > Thanks for the suggestion on the Rhino II 12m, my dealer suggested
            that size
            > for the wind range of 22-30mph too. But I like to check things out
            thoroughly
            > before I slap down another $1200+ for a kite!
            > Scott

            What do you weigh, i weigh 70kg and thought the rhino 2 12m would be
            good for 14mph-22mph ish on a 170tt.
            Am i wrong??
            Thanks
          • Dwight Fisher
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2002
              You're probably right for your board and level.

              I've been kiting 3 years, so I push the upper end a lot more, and I
              ride much smaller boards. That makes a big difference.

            • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
                In a message dated 10/31/2002 12:55:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                blairmalcolm33@... writes:

                > What do you weigh, i weigh 70kg and thought the rhino 2 12m would be
                > good for 14mph-22mph ish on a 170tt.
                > Am i wrong??

                I weigh 86 kilos, can drop down to 76kilos afterworking out for 3 months. At
                your
                weight, I think is ok for 14-22 for a Rhino2 12m, but I also think you could
                handle
                a 14m - if their is one.
                What works for me is :
                my weight + current wind = my kite size
                or
                my kite size (line length same) + my weight = current wind
                OR
                current wind + my weight + my abilities/experience= my kite size
                its going to be different for everyone - except similar kite
                ability & similar weights and/or strengths will be about the same kite sizes.
                So far, that's what i've found with 25+yrs windsurfing(sails) and just a
                couple of
                years kiting.
                Good Luck & Kite Fun!
                Scott