Put adjustment on brake lines instead on the middle front lines

  • Eddy Cormon
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 29, 2002
      Instead of using a clamcleat or whatever to adjust the length of the
      lines, you could also make a system to change length of each of the
      brake lines.

      Put a clamcleat on both ends of the bar.
      Adjustment needs to be done left and right separately.

      Advantages:
      No obstructive system on the front lines for leeting the bar fly away
      in case of emergency. The bar just goes up until complete depower of
      kite. The bar can go as far as your single frontline goes (7 meters),
      there the frontlines split up.

      As you can stay in chickenloop, no need for a leash !

      How about this ?

      Eddy Cormon
    • Eddy Cormon
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 29, 2002
        After posting I thought: maybe I should put a leash between the
        chicken loop and the trapeze hook. I would still like to quick
        release the chickenloop with a Winchard Quick Release just in case.
        Eddy Cormon
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Eddy Cormon" <emet.cormon@v...> wrote:
        > Instead of using a clamcleat or whatever to adjust the length of
        the
        > lines, you could also make a system to change length of each of the
        > brake lines.
        >
        > Put a clamcleat on both ends of the bar.
        > Adjustment needs to be done left and right separately.
        >
        > Advantages:
        > No obstructive system on the front lines for leeting the bar fly
        away
        > in case of emergency. The bar just goes up until complete depower
        of
        > kite. The bar can go as far as your single frontline goes (7
        meters),
        > there the frontlines split up.
        >
        > As you can stay in chickenloop, no need for a leash !
        >
        > How about this ?
        >
        > Eddy Cormon
      • r a n d y K A T O
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 29, 2002
          Sorry, this won't work at all...at least for LEIs (not sure about the
          various types of foils). Some kites fly almost entirely on the front
          lines. I can leave the back lines on my AB super slack and the kite
          still flies. This system won't depower the kite properly...by keeping
          the front lines symmetrical the kite holds its shape and maintains
          power. Proper depower still requires one and only one line to be pulled
          (or all other lines slacked) enough that the kite can lay flat
          lenghtwise downwind.

          Also, adjusting the steering lines individually would be tricky and
          dangerous since you're steering the kite by making these adjustments,
          potentially setting the lines up for a death spiral.

          Since this requires no stopper on the frontline, you would also lose
          the bar when riding/doing tricks no-handed or spinning the bar to
          untwist lines.

          On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 03:29 PM, Eddy Cormon wrote:

          > Instead of using a clamcleat or whatever to adjust the length of the
          > lines, you could also make a system to change length of each of the
          > brake lines.
          >
          > Put a clamcleat on both ends of the bar.
          > Adjustment needs to be done left and right separately.
          >
          > Advantages:
          > No obstructive system on the front lines for leeting the bar fly away
          > in case of emergency. The bar just goes up until complete depower of
          > kite. The bar can go as far as your single frontline goes (7 meters),
          > there the frontlines split up.
          >
          > As you can stay in chickenloop, no need for a leash !
          >
          > How about this ?
          >
          > Eddy Cormon

          ~~~~~
          Hello, my name is Randy, and I am a windaholic...
        • theflyingtinman
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 29, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "Eddy Cormon" <emet.cormon@v...> wrote:
            > Instead of using a clamcleat or whatever to adjust the length
            > of the lines, you could also make a system to change length of
            > each of the brake lines.
            >
            > Put a clamcleat on both ends of the bar.
            > Adjustment needs to be done left and right separately.
            >
            > Advantages:
            > No obstructive system on the front lines for leeting the bar
            > fly away in case of emergency. The bar just goes up until
            > complete depower of kite. The bar can go as far as your single
            > frontline goes (7 meters), there the frontlines split up.
            >
            > As you can stay in chickenloop, no need for a leash !
            >
            > How about this ?

            Eddy, I don't think I have seen you post here before. I
            hope you are someone who is just thinking of taking up
            kitesurfing.
            No offense, but it really scares me to think that someone
            who believes that such a system would work like a leash
            may actually be out there sharing the water with me. No
            respectable instructor should let such misconceptions get
            beyond the classroom phase.

            Steve T.
          • Jan Coffey
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 29, 2002
              > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Eddy Cormon" <emet.cormon@v...> wrote:
              > > Instead of using a clamcleat or whatever to adjust the length
              > > of the lines, you could also make a system to change length of
              > > each of the brake lines.
              > >
              > > Put a clamcleat on both ends of the bar.
              > > Adjustment needs to be done left and right separately.
              > >
              > > Advantages:
              > > No obstructive system on the front lines for leeting the bar
              > > fly away in case of emergency. The bar just goes up until
              > > complete depower of kite. The bar can go as far as your single
              > > frontline goes (7 meters), there the frontlines split up.
              > >
              > > As you can stay in chickenloop, no need for a leash !
              > >
              > > How about this ?

              Uh, no.

              The kite must be allowed to flag to depower. What you suggest would
              only take the tension off of the rear lines leaving equal tension on
              the fornt lines.

              While this will depower the kite it will not flag it.
              With most bar & lines you can get full depower (tension all on front
              lines) just by sheeting out.

              Also, it is debatable, but many believe that 7m is not enough for a
              16m kite.

              JC
            • kiteboard2000
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 29, 2002
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Jan Coffey" <janwcoffey@y...> wrote:

                > Also, it is debatable, but many believe that 7m is not enough for a
                > 16m kite.

                Leash length depends on the kite's flat span.

                A "classic" (non-sliding) depowering leash must be attached to one
                line at least half a flat kite span from the bar.

                A sliding depower must slide a distance at least equal to the kite's
                flat span.

                Mel
              • dixon76710
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 30, 2002
                  -I wouldnt be so hard on the guy. He did post the idea in the form of
                  a question so he evidently doesnt "believe" anything about its
                  ability to work.
                  Also with a kite with a single front line that splits into two, 7
                  meters up, I kind of doubt hes even talking about a tube kite. MARK

                  -- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:
                  > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Eddy Cormon" <emet.cormon@v...> wrote:
                  > > Instead of using a clamcleat or whatever to adjust the length
                  > > of the lines, you could also make a system to change length of
                  > > each of the brake lines.
                  > >
                  > > Put a clamcleat on both ends of the bar.
                  > > Adjustment needs to be done left and right separately.
                  > >
                  > > Advantages:
                  > > No obstructive system on the front lines for leeting the bar
                  > > fly away in case of emergency. The bar just goes up until
                  > > complete depower of kite. The bar can go as far as your single
                  > > frontline goes (7 meters), there the frontlines split up.
                  > >
                  > > As you can stay in chickenloop, no need for a leash !
                  > >
                  > > How about this ?
                  >

                  > Eddy, I don't think I have seen you post here before. I
                  > hope you are someone who is just thinking of taking up
                  > kitesurfing.
                  > No offense, but it really scares me to think that someone
                  > who believes that such a system would work like a leash
                  > may actually be out there sharing the water with me. No
                  > respectable instructor should let such misconceptions get
                  > beyond the classroom phase.
                  >
                  > Steve T.
                • Eddy Cormon
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 30, 2002
                    Apparently www.kiteproshop.com has something similar.
                    As they are commercial and me just launching an idea, which has been
                    already tested, go and look of it works.
                    Eddy

                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:
                    > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Eddy Cormon" <emet.cormon@v...> wrote:
                    > > Instead of using a clamcleat or whatever to adjust the length
                    > > of the lines, you could also make a system to change length of
                    > > each of the brake lines.
                    > >
                    > > Put a clamcleat on both ends of the bar.
                    > > Adjustment needs to be done left and right separately.
                    > >
                    > > Advantages:
                    > > No obstructive system on the front lines for leeting the bar
                    > > fly away in case of emergency. The bar just goes up until
                    > > complete depower of kite. The bar can go as far as your single
                    > > frontline goes (7 meters), there the frontlines split up.
                    > >
                    > > As you can stay in chickenloop, no need for a leash !
                    > >
                    > > How about this ?
                    >

                    > Eddy, I don't think I have seen you post here before. I
                    > hope you are someone who is just thinking of taking up
                    > kitesurfing.
                    > No offense, but it really scares me to think that someone
                    > who believes that such a system would work like a leash
                    > may actually be out there sharing the water with me. No
                    > respectable instructor should let such misconceptions get
                    > beyond the classroom phase.
                    >
                    > Steve T.
                  • r a n d y K A T O
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 30, 2002
                      a couple of key differences...

                      -you still have a working, single-line leash that will properly depower
                      the kite.
                      -you have a stopper on the depower line to keep from losing the bar
                      when letting go to untwist, do tricks, etc.

                      i still stand by my opinion about depower adjustments being done on the
                      steering lines being a bad idea. the system they're showing looks
                      pretty sketchy to me. the difference from full power to minimum power
                      is just a matter of bumping the bar end (accidentally!!!) and then you
                      have one steering line longer than the other before you even know what
                      happened! this looks especially easy to do with a kite that flies with
                      minimal back line pressure. and i can't imagine what a nightmare it
                      would be to try to adjust these on the fly while riding - while
                      conventional center line straps/adjusters are quite easy.

                      On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 01:54 PM, Eddy Cormon wrote:

                      > Apparently www.kiteproshop.com has something similar.
                      > As they are commercial and me just launching an idea, which has been
                      > already tested, go and look of it works.
                      > Eddy
                      >
                      > --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:
                      >> --- In kitesurf@y..., "Eddy Cormon" <emet.cormon@v...> wrote:
                      >>> Instead of using a clamcleat or whatever to adjust the length
                      >>> of the lines, you could also make a system to change length of
                      >>> each of the brake lines.
                      >>>
                      >>> Put a clamcleat on both ends of the bar.
                      >>> Adjustment needs to be done left and right separately.
                      >>>
                      >>> Advantages:
                      >>> No obstructive system on the front lines for leeting the bar
                      >>> fly away in case of emergency. The bar just goes up until
                      >>> complete depower of kite. The bar can go as far as your single
                      >>> frontline goes (7 meters), there the frontlines split up.
                      >>>
                      >>> As you can stay in chickenloop, no need for a leash !
                      >>>
                      >>> How about this ?

                      ~~~~~
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 30, 2002
                        --- In kitesurf@y..., r a n d y K A T O <randy@k...> wrote:
                        > i still stand by my opinion about depower adjustments being
                        > done on the steering lines being a bad idea. the system
                        > they're showing looks pretty sketchy to me. the difference
                        > from full power to minimum power is just a matter of bumping
                        > the bar end (accidentally!!!) and then you have one steering
                        > line longer than the other before you even know what happened!
                        > this looks especially easy to do with a kite that flies with
                        > minimal back line pressure. and i can't imagine what a nightmare
                        > it would be to try to adjust these on the fly while riding -
                        > while conventional center line straps/adjusters are quite easy.

                        It's really no big deal Randy, especially for lightly loaded
                        back lines. I have no center adjustment on my Arc rig - and
                        prussik knots on the rears which I set according to the kite
                        size (I use one bar/line set for all my Arcs) and general
                        conditions, before riding (I rarely have to change them
                        actually - one setting works fine for my two main kites
                        in almost all the conditions I ride)
                        If, when I'm out riding I decide I've set the rear leaders
                        a little long or short I simply stop and change them while
                        floating with the kite overhead.
                        I do like to adjust my hang-strap while riding (to change
                        the A0A trim when hanging my weight on the bar, for changing
                        conditions and different moves) but that's even easier than
                        a center strap adjuster 'cause there's NO load at all on it
                        when adjusting, but I never need to adjust the rear line
                        prussiks on the fly since thats at most a once-per-session
                        adjustment.

                        Steve T.
                      • r a n d y K A T O
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 30, 2002
                          On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 03:16 PM, theflyingtinman wrote:

                          > It's really no big deal Randy, especially for lightly loaded
                          > back lines. I have no center adjustment on my Arc rig - and
                          > prussik knots on the rears which I set according to the kite
                          > size (I use one bar/line set for all my Arcs) and general
                          > conditions, before riding (I rarely have to change them
                          > actually - one setting works fine for my two main kites
                          > in almost all the conditions I ride)

                          Prussiks make sense. The ball and loop method they're using on the
                          kiteproshop bar still seems sketchy to me though, and doesn't seem like
                          it would offer that much depower range.

                          > If, when I'm out riding I decide I've set the rear leaders
                          > a little long or short I simply stop and change them while
                          > floating with the kite overhead.

                          I've almost always done this adjustment on the fly just because I
                          could, and I'd get a better feel for how much of an adjustment to make
                          since I'm still up on a plane and feeling the difference in action.
                          Also, one less reason to stop (I hate to stop ;o) ). But, now that I
                          know my kites so well I'd probably know just how much to adjust even if
                          I were stopped.

                          > I do like to adjust my hang-strap while riding (to change
                          > the A0A trim when hanging my weight on the bar, for changing
                          > conditions and different moves) but that's even easier than
                          > a center strap adjuster 'cause there's NO load at all on it
                          > when adjusting, but I never need to adjust the rear line
                          > prussiks on the fly since thats at most a once-per-session
                          > adjustment.

                          I do like the idea of making adjustments to the lines with no/less load
                          - sometimes pulling those front lines in is a bitch! But I still like
                          the simplicity of one adjuster that keeps things balanced rather than
                          two adjusters that need to be balanced with each other.

                          I remember a couple times where I tried to adjust the rear leader lines
                          (Wipika style with knots and a larkshead) to balance an unbalanced kite
                          and it was really tricky since I wound up steering the kite as I
                          fiddled with the lines. That's why I cringed when this type of system
                          was mentioned.

                          ~~~~~
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 30, 2002
                            --- In kitesurf@y..., r a n d y K A T O <randy@k...> wrote:

                            > On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 03:16 PM, theflyingtinman wrote:
                            > > I do like to adjust my hang-strap while riding (to change
                            > > the A0A trim when hanging my weight on the bar, for changing
                            > > conditions and different moves) but that's even easier than
                            > > a center strap adjuster 'cause there's NO load at all on it
                            > > when adjusting, but I never need to adjust the rear line
                            > > prussiks on the fly since thats at most a once-per-session
                            > > adjustment.
                            >
                            > I do like the idea of making adjustments to the lines with
                            > no/less load - sometimes pulling those front lines in is a bitch!
                            > But I still like the simplicity of one adjuster that keeps things
                            > balanced rather than two adjusters that need to be balanced with
                            > each other.

                            My hang-strap is a single strap from the top of my front risers
                            down to the bar (free-bar) so it is just a single adjustment
                            (which I can make with no tension on the strap while still
                            steering the kite) and no fiddling with rear lines on-the-fly.

                            Steve T.
                          • Greg Walsh
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 30, 2002
                              Trim adjustment on the brake lines makes a lot of sense for a foil.
                              The usual method of shortening the front lines reduces the amount of
                              brake the leash can pull on to stall the kite. This is what damaged
                              my Vector recently.

                              Lengthening the brake lines to reduce power would increase the amount
                              of brake and thus ensuer an effective stall. At worse the kite would
                              reverse up and fly about backwards. While this is ugly it is not life
                              or equipment threatening and would give time to pull in a single
                              brake line to completely depower the kite.

                              It also means the chicken loop line has nothing but a stop knot on it
                              and that can't be bad.

                              Operating two brake line adjusters or prussics is a little fiddley
                              but it is doable.

                              Hmmmm. I have eye-bolts as winding posts on my bar so I have a ready
                              made attachment point for some reverse prussics at the bottom. I
                              wonder if it would be too hard to operate to push the prussics up to
                              depower instead of pull down?

                              Regards

                              Greg

                              PS. You might be able to fully depower a foil using just the front
                              lines but you'd end up with the kite floating about up in the air.
                              You would need to wind in the lines to get it down.
                            • Jan Coffey
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
                                That's a bit differnt than what you seemed to be suggesting, but now
                                it is clear, and would clearly work.

                                Personaly I never touch the trim strap, other than to adjust the
                                lines for a different kite. If I had one bar&lines per kite I would
                                never need to trim. Except perhaps to a fully trimed setting, which
                                this bar can do.

                                It does look very familiar, doesn't it?

                                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Eddy Cormon" <emet.cormon@v...> wrote:
                                > Apparently www.kiteproshop.com has something similar.
                                > As they are commercial and me just launching an idea, which has
                                been
                                > already tested, go and look of it works.
                                > Eddy
                                >
                                > --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:
                                > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Eddy Cormon" <emet.cormon@v...> wrote:
                                > > > Instead of using a clamcleat or whatever to adjust the length
                                > > > of the lines, you could also make a system to change length of
                                > > > each of the brake lines.
                                > > >
                                > > > Put a clamcleat on both ends of the bar.
                                > > > Adjustment needs to be done left and right separately.
                                > > >
                                > > > Advantages:
                                > > > No obstructive system on the front lines for leeting the bar
                                > > > fly away in case of emergency. The bar just goes up until
                                > > > complete depower of kite. The bar can go as far as your single
                                > > > frontline goes (7 meters), there the frontlines split up.
                                > > >
                                > > > As you can stay in chickenloop, no need for a leash !
                                > > >
                                > > > How about this ?
                                > >

                                > > Eddy, I don't think I have seen you post here before. I
                                > > hope you are someone who is just thinking of taking up
                                > > kitesurfing.
                                > > No offense, but it really scares me to think that someone
                                > > who believes that such a system would work like a leash
                                > > may actually be out there sharing the water with me. No
                                > > respectable instructor should let such misconceptions get
                                > > beyond the classroom phase.
                                > >
                                > > Steve T.
                              • theflyingtinman
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
                                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "Jan Coffey" <janwcoffey@y...> wrote:
                                  > That's a bit differnt than what you seemed to be suggesting,
                                  > but now it is clear, and would clearly work.

                                  The kiteproshop system is NOT what Eddy described, no matter
                                  how you interpret it. The kiteproshop system has two, individually
                                  shackled front leaders exactly like my leashless system.

                                  Eddy clearly describes a system with a 7m long *SINGLE* front
                                  leader...

                                  In Kitesurf group Eddy wrote:
                                  >>>... The bar can go as far as your SINGLE frontline
                                  >>> goes (7 meters), THERE THE FRONTLINES SPLIT UP.

                                  and he put the same idea to the Arcusers group where he
                                  described it like this:

                                  >>> In emergency, JUST LET THE BAR FLY-AWAY over the MIDDLE
                                  >>> FFRONT LINE until it reaches the point where LINES SPLIT
                                  >>> UP (after 7m or so).

                                  (my caps)
                                  Such a system would NOT work.
                                  For a leashless system to work you must have both front
                                  lines attached to the harness - or at least attached close
                                  enough where you can release just one of the lines. This
                                  means you must have some kind of quick release system ...not
                                  just "let the bar fly away"

                                  Steve T.
                                • kiteboard2000
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
                                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:

                                    > For a leashless system to work you must have both front
                                    > lines attached to the harness - or at least attached close
                                    > enough where you can release just one of the lines.

                                    Well said. I attach my release at the top of a short front leader
                                    ("free" bar).

                                    > This
                                    > means you must have some kind of quick release system ...not
                                    > just "let the bar fly away"

                                    You could attach the bar to the release mechanism, so when you "let
                                    the bar fly away" it activates the release. Of course if you ever
                                    want to let go of the bar while riding it would require a harness
                                    line (no stopper knot allowed).

                                    Mel
                                  • theflyingtinman
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
                                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...> wrote:

                                      > You could attach the bar to the release mechanism, so when you "let
                                      > the bar fly away" it activates the release.

                                      That was one of the early ideas I had and discarded because of the
                                      very light rear line tension on the Arcs and the large release force
                                      required on the shackles I forst used (this was before 3-ring circus
                                      releases were considered and even a center pivot Witchard wouldn't
                                      necessarily release with the pull of the Arc rear lines. It may be a
                                      good idea to have something like that as a first-chance release with
                                      a pull-handle/ball/loop whatever in case throwing the bar doesn't
                                      work.

                                      Steve T.
                                    • kiteboard2000
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
                                        --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:
                                        > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > You could attach the bar to the release mechanism, so when
                                        you "let
                                        > > the bar fly away" it activates the release.
                                        >
                                        > That was one of the early ideas I had and discarded because of the
                                        > very light rear line tension on the Arcs and the large release
                                        force
                                        > required on the shackles I forst used (this was before 3-ring
                                        circus
                                        > releases were considered and even a center pivot Witchard wouldn't
                                        > necessarily release with the pull of the Arc rear lines.

                                        It takes VERY little force to release a Wichard 2673. Too little
                                        force really, & we end up modifying them so they're harder to
                                        release. Also I think it would depend on where you attach the
                                        pigtails (TE or further forward), & also on how powered up you're
                                        riding (less wind = sheeted in more = more rear line load). Anyway,
                                        it could likely be set up like an Ocean Rodeo, so you have to push
                                        the bar away to make it release.

                                        Mel
                                      • stuvagas
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 31, 2002
                                          --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...> wrote:
                                          > It takes VERY little force to release a Wichard 2673. Too little
                                          > force really, & we end up modifying them so they're harder to
                                          > release.

                                          This is what I need to know what do you do to modify the shackle!!!
                                          I have a second hand one I picked up for next to nothing but it does
                                          release too easily and comes away accidently.

                                          What do you do?? do you increase resistance or increase the length of
                                          the action??

                                          Stu
                                        • kiteboard2000
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 1, 2002
                                            --- In kitesurf@y..., "stuvagas" <kitesurf@s...> wrote:

                                            > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...> wrote:
                                            > > It takes VERY little force to release a Wichard 2673.

                                            > what do you do to modify the shackle!!!

                                            Remove the stock release line. Tie a loop of Q-Power* through the
                                            opening above the release lever, & add a grab ball (<1") or ring. It
                                            also helps to attach the well-bungeed kite leash to the ball (with a
                                            quick release) since that keeps upward tension on the line, which
                                            needs to be pulled downward to release.

                                            *or similar very strong line, because if it catches on something it
                                            can get pulled VERY hard in the wrong (non-release) direction,
                                            breaking any weaker line & leaving you with no release line (still
                                            possible but relatively quite difficult to move the lever by hand).

                                            Mel