Re: Flysufer safety system???

  • Jo Macdonald
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi Matt,
      You can launch and relaunch flysurfers without being hooked into the
      chicken loop by pulling the loop then holding it onto the bar with
      one hand.
      If you got the CDrom with the kite there's a vid of a guy doing this.
      I also use a fixed loop which is a lot quicker to hook back into and
      you can pull on the depower on the kite side of the bar with your
      hands, which is also a good way to launch while fully depowered in
      very light winds, one tug and it's off.
      Jo
    • hink_trent
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
        I had this same experience as the original poster I think it was
        because I did not bother to look at how to put the saftey system back
        togeher. I did not have too much trouble re-assembling the loop in
        the water once I learned how to stick it back together but I did
        notice that it gets harder to do if the wind is strong for the kite.

        One thing I can say from experience is that A snap-shackle will make
        the situation even worse if you ever decide to disengage from the
        kite while in the water. I tried a snap-shackle because I broke the
        pulley on my sheeting system and needed something to use while I
        waited for the company to send me a new one. (Avoid getting sand in
        the pulley and at least rinse it out in the water if you see or hear
        it is full of sand).

        I was riding with wakeboard bindings, crashed, and ended up on my
        back with the kite parked at the edge of the window and dragging me
        slowly throught the water. I was not wearing my kayak PFD, which I
        normally do, and panicked because I did not seem to be able to turn
        the kite back to zenith to stop dragging. I was also pretty tired
        from riding all day so I decided to pull the snap shackle release.

        Everything went fine and untill I tried to re-attach the shackel to
        my harness bar so i could re-launch the kite and ride back to shore.
        The problem with the shackel is that you have to pull it very close
        to your body and hold it there in order to re-engage it. When the
        kite is depowered it still pulls a little bit and it is inearly
        mpossible to do. It is difficult to thread the shackel through a
        standard harness hook and it takes one hand and a lot of stregnth to
        hold the shackle and another to close it if there is any tension at
        all on the lines.

        The situation gets even worse with the flysurfer (for 16.6 at least)
        because unless the wind is really strong, you usually need to sheet
        out in order to get the kite to relaunch. With much difficulty I was
        able to finally get the kite to relaunch unhooked and drag back to
        shore. By the time I got the kite back in the air I was totally
        exhausted and did not even bother trying to bring my board back under
        me to ride back for fear I might crash the kite in the water again.

        I think the stock loop is probably much safer than a shackle because
        it is possible to close it without pulling the bar close to your body
        and thereby making the parked kite pull even harder.

        One thing which will probably help is the modification reccomended on
        the German Flysurfer site on the news page (www.flysurfer.de). I
        think they reccomend moving the blue leash line slightly farther away
        from the bar to make the kite pull less when landed on the leash. At
        least I think that's what they reccomend as my german translator
        program can not make sense of even slightly technical language. There
        is a graphic on the page showing where to move the leash line for
        each kite size.

        I got my replacement stock sheeting system last night, will reinstall
        it, try moving the leash line and report back how it works.

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Greg Walsh" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:

        > Snigger. I told everyone that this was a problem with Flysurfers
        and
        > all the Flysurfer fans were howling me down. :o)
        >
        > Perhaps this is why they got rid of the pressureless depower thing
        on
        > the Psycho. Other people were talking about using a shackle instead
        > of the chicken loop.
        >
        > I was in a similar position and I hooked into the cross line for
        the
        > leash. That kept the kite down and I could reach the chicken loop
        and
        > put it back together again. I then grabbed the loop and did a
        > superman effort to hook in again. All this while dragging along at
        > some speed and doing some creative drowning.
        >
        > I'm glad you got your board back.
        >
        > Greg
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
          ok, that makes sense hooking into the blue line.

          I was pulling the blue cross line as far back as I could with one
          hand and trying to put the loop back together with the other which I
          found impossible to do with only one hand free. I'm heading out
          again today so I might test hooking into the blue cross line as
          mentioned. Also, I had a look at the Flysurfer web site and they
          have a illustration of the revised attachment points of the blue
          cross line.

          Someone asked what happened to your board leash, well the Velcro
          part that attached to the board came undone, I was having a lesson
          at the time and the instructor had a go of the kite and board. He
          didn't want to use the leash so I took it off, he put it back on,
          but I don't think the Velcro tabs were fastened correctly....

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "fmernukin_2000" <fmernukin@e...> wrote:
          > -dragging me downwind at a fair pace on the safety leash. I reach
          > for
          > > the depower loop to try and get some control, but have a SHIT of
          > > time putting the thing back together so I can hook in again. At
          > this
          > > stage I'm so far away from my board I cant even see it any more.
          >
          > snip
          >

          > Snip,
          > Grab the cross lines like Gregg Walsh said and hook in if you have
          > to. From that point you want to let the kite drag you while you
          fix
          > the chicken loop and get the green lines on the right and the red
          > lines on the left. When all is said and done, push out on the bar
          the
          > and kite will slowly relaunch without much of a drag. At that
          point
          > you can still get your board by using your arm as a rudder and zig
          > zagging back and forth. I've been in the same situation you have
          been
          > in and with some time on the kite you will be able to relauch in a
          > matter of seconds, not minutes.
        • fmernukin_2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2002
            Let the kite drag you through the water while you fix the loop first.
            Then pull the blue cross line and relaunch. By the way, the Flysurfer
            safety line with the plastic connector is a joke. Bring it to a
            seamstress or someone who can sew through something thick and have
            them sew a caribeaner onto the end that can attach to your harness
            line. If the stock line breaks it's bye, bye kite. In two weeks, with
            practice your kite will not be in the h2o more than 15 seconds, trust
            me. Been there done that. Good luck.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2002
              Robin - nice picture of the quick release, but I find that to be a
              lousy bit of german engineering as well. Mine kept coming released
              when I didnt want it to. I wrap a 2" by 6" piece of velcro around the
              quick release "handle" and it holds in securely in place without an
              unexpected release. If I need to come out (haven't yet) I could
              quickly unwrap it an pull the release. A minor point, but once I got
              my Warriors set up right, I've been in kiting heaven ever since.