Flysufer safety system???

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
      I was out on a Flysurfer Warrior this afternoon and got into a
      situation where I was being dragged under water so I pulled the
      Safety release. Kite landed leading edge down and did as it should
      reversed back up off the water and sat back down on its trailing
      edge.... FINE.

      I feel for my board leash to see where my board (I was wearing
      helmet) but my Board isn't there.... some how my board leash
      failed....SHIT!! I spot my board about 2 meters away, but my kite is
      dragging me downwind at a fair pace on the safety leash. I reach for
      the depower loop to try and get some control, but have a SHIT of a
      time putting the thing back together so I can hook in again. At this
      stage I'm so far away from my board I cant even see it any more. The
      other problem was that every time I grabbed for the depower
      loop/quick release to put it back together, the kite became more
      powered up and dragged me faster down wind. Luckily I wasn't to far
      from shore and made it back to the beach after about 150-200m down
      wind drag... Another kitesurfer saw my board and brought it back to
      shore (thank you who ever you were).

      So, what I want to know from those that use Flysurfer kites is how
      on earth do you get the safety release back together without
      dragging to far down wind??? Also, has any ever fitted a leash to
      one of the brake lines to completely depower the kite if you get
      into to trouble???

      matt
    • Robin Zwissler
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
        Matt, this might have happened on tubes too.
        Because when you release the Quick Release you spend
        a lot of time refixing your loop and then launching it
        again. I think here the concept of Flysurfer with
        the easy waterrelaunch might even be faster.

        What you can do to immediately relaunch the kite again
        is to hook in the "chicken loop line"-loop directly where the
        chicken loop attaches to with the Hold Allen. It makes
        depowering harder of course, but steering is possible and
        you can bodydrag to your board and maybe sail back to shore
        to refix the chicken loop. You just use your harness hook
        as the chicken loop. I hope that makes sense somehow, my english
        comes to its limits here describing things ;)

        There is also a way to hook in two lines in the harness hook
        so that the kite is depowered and you can easily refix the
        opened quick release. I can't remember right now, but I'll try
        to find out.

        Robin
        www.kite-surf.com

        http://www.KITEHIGH.COM

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Greg Walsh
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Matt" <harks98@y...> wrote:

          snip

          > dragging me downwind at a fair pace on the safety leash. I reach
          for
          > the depower loop to try and get some control, but have a SHIT of a
          > time putting the thing back together so I can hook in again. At
          this
          > stage I'm so far away from my board I cant even see it any more.

          snip

          Snigger. I told everyone that this was a problem with Flysurfers and
          all the Flysurfer fans were howling me down. :o)

          Perhaps this is why they got rid of the pressureless depower thing on
          the Psycho. Other people were talking about using a shackle instead
          of the chicken loop.

          I was in a similar position and I hooked into the cross line for the
          leash. That kept the kite down and I could reach the chicken loop and
          put it back together again. I then grabbed the loop and did a
          superman effort to hook in again. All this while dragging along at
          some speed and doing some creative drowning.

          I'm glad you got your board back.

          Greg
        • fmernukin_2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
            -dragging me downwind at a fair pace on the safety leash. I reach
            for
            > the depower loop to try and get some control, but have a SHIT of a
            > time putting the thing back together so I can hook in again. At
            this
            > stage I'm so far away from my board I cant even see it any more.

            snip

            Snip,
            Grab the cross lines like Gregg Walsh said and hook in if you have
            to. From that point you want to let the kite drag you while you fix
            the chicken loop and get the green lines on the right and the red
            lines on the left. When all is said and done, push out on the bar the
            and kite will slowly relaunch without much of a drag. At that point
            you can still get your board by using your arm as a rudder and zig
            zagging back and forth. I've been in the same situation you have been
            in and with some time on the kite you will be able to relauch in a
            matter of seconds, not minutes.
          • Jo Macdonald
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
              Hi Matt,
              You can launch and relaunch flysurfers without being hooked into the
              chicken loop by pulling the loop then holding it onto the bar with
              one hand.
              If you got the CDrom with the kite there's a vid of a guy doing this.
              I also use a fixed loop which is a lot quicker to hook back into and
              you can pull on the depower on the kite side of the bar with your
              hands, which is also a good way to launch while fully depowered in
              very light winds, one tug and it's off.
              Jo
            • hink_trent
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
                I had this same experience as the original poster I think it was
                because I did not bother to look at how to put the saftey system back
                togeher. I did not have too much trouble re-assembling the loop in
                the water once I learned how to stick it back together but I did
                notice that it gets harder to do if the wind is strong for the kite.

                One thing I can say from experience is that A snap-shackle will make
                the situation even worse if you ever decide to disengage from the
                kite while in the water. I tried a snap-shackle because I broke the
                pulley on my sheeting system and needed something to use while I
                waited for the company to send me a new one. (Avoid getting sand in
                the pulley and at least rinse it out in the water if you see or hear
                it is full of sand).

                I was riding with wakeboard bindings, crashed, and ended up on my
                back with the kite parked at the edge of the window and dragging me
                slowly throught the water. I was not wearing my kayak PFD, which I
                normally do, and panicked because I did not seem to be able to turn
                the kite back to zenith to stop dragging. I was also pretty tired
                from riding all day so I decided to pull the snap shackle release.

                Everything went fine and untill I tried to re-attach the shackel to
                my harness bar so i could re-launch the kite and ride back to shore.
                The problem with the shackel is that you have to pull it very close
                to your body and hold it there in order to re-engage it. When the
                kite is depowered it still pulls a little bit and it is inearly
                mpossible to do. It is difficult to thread the shackel through a
                standard harness hook and it takes one hand and a lot of stregnth to
                hold the shackle and another to close it if there is any tension at
                all on the lines.

                The situation gets even worse with the flysurfer (for 16.6 at least)
                because unless the wind is really strong, you usually need to sheet
                out in order to get the kite to relaunch. With much difficulty I was
                able to finally get the kite to relaunch unhooked and drag back to
                shore. By the time I got the kite back in the air I was totally
                exhausted and did not even bother trying to bring my board back under
                me to ride back for fear I might crash the kite in the water again.

                I think the stock loop is probably much safer than a shackle because
                it is possible to close it without pulling the bar close to your body
                and thereby making the parked kite pull even harder.

                One thing which will probably help is the modification reccomended on
                the German Flysurfer site on the news page (www.flysurfer.de). I
                think they reccomend moving the blue leash line slightly farther away
                from the bar to make the kite pull less when landed on the leash. At
                least I think that's what they reccomend as my german translator
                program can not make sense of even slightly technical language. There
                is a graphic on the page showing where to move the leash line for
                each kite size.

                I got my replacement stock sheeting system last night, will reinstall
                it, try moving the leash line and report back how it works.

                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Greg Walsh" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:

                > Snigger. I told everyone that this was a problem with Flysurfers
                and
                > all the Flysurfer fans were howling me down. :o)
                >
                > Perhaps this is why they got rid of the pressureless depower thing
                on
                > the Psycho. Other people were talking about using a shackle instead
                > of the chicken loop.
                >
                > I was in a similar position and I hooked into the cross line for
                the
                > leash. That kept the kite down and I could reach the chicken loop
                and
                > put it back together again. I then grabbed the loop and did a
                > superman effort to hook in again. All this while dragging along at
                > some speed and doing some creative drowning.
                >
                > I'm glad you got your board back.
                >
                > Greg
              • Matt
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
                  ok, that makes sense hooking into the blue line.

                  I was pulling the blue cross line as far back as I could with one
                  hand and trying to put the loop back together with the other which I
                  found impossible to do with only one hand free. I'm heading out
                  again today so I might test hooking into the blue cross line as
                  mentioned. Also, I had a look at the Flysurfer web site and they
                  have a illustration of the revised attachment points of the blue
                  cross line.

                  Someone asked what happened to your board leash, well the Velcro
                  part that attached to the board came undone, I was having a lesson
                  at the time and the instructor had a go of the kite and board. He
                  didn't want to use the leash so I took it off, he put it back on,
                  but I don't think the Velcro tabs were fastened correctly....

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2002
                    Let the kite drag you through the water while you fix the loop first.
                    Then pull the blue cross line and relaunch. By the way, the Flysurfer
                    safety line with the plastic connector is a joke. Bring it to a
                    seamstress or someone who can sew through something thick and have
                    them sew a caribeaner onto the end that can attach to your harness
                    line. If the stock line breaks it's bye, bye kite. In two weeks, with
                    practice your kite will not be in the h2o more than 15 seconds, trust
                    me. Been there done that. Good luck.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2002
                      Robin - nice picture of the quick release, but I find that to be a
                      lousy bit of german engineering as well. Mine kept coming released
                      when I didnt want it to. I wrap a 2" by 6" piece of velcro around the
                      quick release "handle" and it holds in securely in place without an
                      unexpected release. If I need to come out (haven't yet) I could
                      quickly unwrap it an pull the release. A minor point, but once I got
                      my Warriors set up right, I've been in kiting heaven ever since.