Reel Leash

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
      Bought a reel leash (NSI "oceanus") a few months back. The first time
      the board did a submarine impression the leash broke. It seems a nice
      enough design, but the webbing is really weak -- too weak.

      So I tried to fix it. I sewed some 100kg spectra to the webbing. It
      was flat enough to fit in the casing and reel out through the bars.
      But for some reason as soon as I tightened the case a little it would
      not reel back in properly.

      After fiddling around with it I pulled the entire reel out of the
      case. And now I can't get the center pin back in. The springs have
      moved away from the center (if you have played with these things then
      you will know what I mean).

      I feel like a bit of a looser, not being able to put it back
      together.
      I can manage fine without the leash, but I would like to use it in the
      winter. I don't want to be body dragging upwind in near freezing water
      temps.

      My questions: has anybody opened the core of one of these reel leashes
      to get at the coils?

      Are there suitable webbing replacements?

      Are the folk at NSI helpful?

      Cheers,
      Dave
    • r a n d y K A T O
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        Yes, the people at NSI are quite helpful (I've gone through several
        reel leashes), and ever since they released this leash they've been
        making constant improvements to it. The webbing used to be the
        strongest part! Now they've made everything pretty tough and they even
        put in stronger webbing....if you bought yours a few months ago it was
        probably just before they released the stronger version. However I did
        hear that they will be selling replacement webbing so you can replace
        it yourself.

        As for putting it back together....I haven't disassembled one as far as
        you have so I can't help you there. Search the archives because I
        remember somebody mentioning that they repair them often at their shop
        so they'll probably know what to tell you.

        -Randy

        On Tuesday, Oct 1, 2002, at 06:14 US/Eastern, Dave wrote:

        > Bought a reel leash (NSI "oceanus") a few months back. The first time
        > the board did a submarine impression the leash broke. It seems a nice
        > enough design, but the webbing is really weak -- too weak.
        >
        > So I tried to fix it. I sewed some 100kg spectra to the webbing. It
        > was flat enough to fit in the casing and reel out through the bars.
        > But for some reason as soon as I tightened the case a little it would
        > not reel back in properly.
        >
        > After fiddling around with it I pulled the entire reel out of the
        > case. And now I can't get the center pin back in. The springs have
        > moved away from the center (if you have played with these things then
        > you will know what I mean).
        >
        > I feel like a bit of a looser, not being able to put it back
        > together.
        > I can manage fine without the leash, but I would like to use it in the
        > winter. I don't want to be body dragging upwind in near freezing water
        > temps.
        >
        > My questions: has anybody opened the core of one of these reel leashes
        > to get at the coils?
        >
        > Are there suitable webbing replacements?
        >
        > Are the folk at NSI helpful?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Dave

        ~~~~~
        Hello, my name is Randy, and I am a windaholic...
      • Phil Jones
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
          My strap broke also. I sent it back and got the new one just a few
          days ago. It came with paperwork describing how to dis-assemble and
          install a new webbing strap (that will soon be available). I'm not
          sure just how far down you dis-assembled but they do have a caution
          note concerning the spring. they're good people. Shoot em a email
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dave" <merlinhobnob@y...> wrote:
            > Bought a reel leash (NSI "oceanus") a few months back.
            > the leash broke. I
            > the webbing is really weak -- too weak.
            >
            > So I tried to fix it.
            > Are the folk at NSI helpful?

            I contacted NSI. They are indeed cool. They have offered to warranty
            it, despite the fact that my repair attempts probably made it unfixable.

            The latest generation has stronger webbing.

            Cheers,
            Dave