Re: [ksurf]Leash - Safety system - autoreturn after doing a back/frontloop

  • dutchkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Peter Frank" <pf@4...> wrote:
> [...]
      >
      > And NEVER use the line/rope directly in a normal shackle - always
      use
      > a ring !
      > Otherwise it might not release at all.
      >
      > I use the "old" standard Wipika system with the pin release.
      > You need a little force, because the velcro and rubber band is
      quite
      > tight - BUT - the force is the very same, whether you are under
      load
      > or not !!! Perfect.
      > And another advantage (which I really worship):
      > You can not accidentally release it, because it has a
      longer "release
      > distance". So no reason to fear being dropped when hanging upside
      > down in deadmans in shallower water (your worst nightmare).
      >
      > Apart from that - you can change your depower line at any time.
      > Just make a knot on the end of a std. 5-6 or 7 mm rope, so it forms
      > little loop. This loop will fit perfectly in the pin release.
      > You don't need the "sewn" webbing which is delivered std.
      >
      > With most shackles - the release distance is so short, that they
      can
      > be halfway released, and only need a little push to open.
      > OR - if they are locked fully - you can not open it because it need
      > too much force.
      >
      > With the pin release system, I am almost 100% sure that it will not
      > open by accident, and it will open when I need it to.
      >
      > Just my experiences.
      >
      > I ALWAYS use a safety leash, and until a good useable unspin system
      > appears, I'll just jump the other way around to unspin. This is
      > really good practice anyway. A little hard with 4 twists - but
      > possible. Just do one or two rotations at a time to unspin, while
      > your kite is a bit "slow" because of the twists.
      > Easy, and good practice.
      > ------------------------
      >
      > How you connect your pin release system to your trapeze bar, is
      > another topic (the hook must remain free for the trapeze line).
      > I've found a really good way (fast/simple/cheap), which I am
      > using/testing these weeks.
      >
      > :-) Peter Frank
      >
      > --- In kitesurf@y..., Rainer Leuschke <rainer@u...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, dutchkitesurfer wrote:
      > > > http://www.kitesurfing-kiel.de/safety/wichard/wichard.avi
      > >
      > > Like many before this system relies on the shackle spinning
      easily.
      > In my
      > > experience they don't do that when you are actually flying a kite,
      all
      > pretty
      > > slack. Also, imagine doing the same thing with 4+ twists. Could
      be a
      > > serious problem. I don't think you'd ever want to wrap your leash
      > around
      > > another line. It could easily result in a situation where
      deploying
      > the
      > > leash does not result in the kite depowering. R!

      I'm planning to build it using the 2002 Wipika pin release in
      combination with a rotating bar http://www.flow-
      motion.de/shop/images/100018.jpg

      I tested it yesterday and so far so good. I guess the best test is
      while really kiteboarding and the depower is under full load.

      Regarding wear of the depowerloop: Wipika has a plastic tube over the
      depowerloop so I guess wear is no issue.
      Keep more useful comments coming!
    • Peter Frank
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
        > I'm planning to build it using the 2002 Wipika pin release in
        > combination with a rotating bar http://www.flow-
        > motion.de/shop/images/100018.jpg
        >
        > I tested it yesterday and so far so good. I guess the best test is
        > while really kiteboarding and the depower is under full load.
        >
        > Regarding wear of the depowerloop: Wipika has a plastic tube over
        the
        > depowerloop so I guess wear is no issue.
        > Keep more useful comments coming!

        The plastic tube on the Wipika are only on some models.
        You can obtain and use the C-bar with or without the tube.

        Many prefer the depower without tube, as you can sheet in and out way
        faster and easier.
        The locking systems is not used by most pro's - as free sheeting, and
        an extra trapeze loop for the hook is the most common (I prefer that).

        And on the Apex-0 Carbon bar, you dont have tube either.

        :-) Peter
      • hernanhome
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
          Peter & Frank:

          I m trying a new system that seems to solve the spinning leash
          problem.
          As you know, the main issue is the shackel swivel not rotating
          under load. If it doesn t rotate, the leash will tangle.
          I find a simple and cheap solution to this:
          The bungie bar (to give it a name).
          I was flying airblast with bridles on and I want to take the bridles
          of the 8,4. I dont use fixed loop on my bars, so I was thinking on
          how to reduce arm fatige as I m used to the light feel of he
          bridled kite. I decide to put a bungie loop (end to end) and attach
          it to the depower ring (above the release). I get a very confortable
          assistance, a more free feeling than using a fixed loop (the bar
          steers normaly), the kite flies more stable and the best thing: the
          depower rope rotates as a unit with the bar when you unspin the
          bar. The turning forces induced by the bungie are enough to
          rotate the shackle swivel, So no more leash tangles!!
          IT WORKS, you must try it!!

          Hernan
        • hernanhome
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
            Sorry, I forgot the link with the pictures:

            ie%20Bar%20%26%20spinning%20leash/

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "hernanhome" <hernanhome@i...> wrote:
            > Peter & Frank:
            >
            > I m trying a new system that seems to solve the spinning leash
            > problem.
            > As you know, the main issue is the shackel swivel not rotating
            > under load. If it doesn t rotate, the leash will tangle.
            > I find a simple and cheap solution to this:
            > The bungie bar (to give it a name).
            > I was flying airblast with bridles on and I want to take the
            bridles
            > of the 8,4. I dont use fixed loop on my bars, so I was thinking
            on
            > how to reduce arm fatige as I m used to the light feel of he
            > bridled kite. I decide to put a bungie loop (end to end) and
            attach
            > it to the depower ring (above the release). I get a very
            confortable
            > assistance, a more free feeling than using a fixed loop (the bar
            > steers normaly), the kite flies more stable and the best thing:
            the
            > depower rope rotates as a unit with the bar when you unspin
            the
            > bar. The turning forces induced by the bungie are enough to
            > rotate the shackle swivel, So no more leash tangles!!
            > IT WORKS, you must try it!!
            >
            > Hernan
          • dutchkitesurfer
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "Peter Frank" <pf@4...> wrote:
              > > I'm planning to build it using the 2002 Wipika pin release in
              > > combination with a rotating bar http://www.flow-
              > > motion.de/shop/images/100018.jpg
              > >
              > > I tested it yesterday and so far so good. I guess the best test
              is
              > > while really kiteboarding and the depower is under full load.
              > >
              > > Regarding wear of the depowerloop: Wipika has a plastic tube
              over
              > the
              > > depowerloop so I guess wear is no issue.
              > > Keep more useful comments coming!
              >
              > The plastic tube on the Wipika are only on some models.
              > You can obtain and use the C-bar with or without the tube.
              >
              > Many prefer the depower without tube, as you can sheet in and out
              way
              > faster and easier.
              > The locking systems is not used by most pro's - as free sheeting,
              and
              > an extra trapeze loop for the hook is the most common (I prefer
              that).

              > And on the Apex-0 Carbon bar, you dont have tube either.
              >
              > :-) Peter

              I disabled the locking meachanism immedeatly on both my Wipika C-
              bars. All Wipika bars here in the Netherlands come with platictube
              around the depowerloop.

              I will post my comments after I've used it while kiting. Forecast
              says we will have wind here on friday.
            • kiteboard2000
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Peter Frank" <pf@4...> wrote:

                > Most systems won't work well under load - and you are under full
                load
                > all the time...
                > I ALWAYS use a safety leash, and until a good useable unspin
                system
                > appears, I'll just jump the other way around to unspin. This is
                > really good practice anyway.

                There are several systems which spin quite well, because they use a
                separate swivel for the leash (which has very little load). There's
                one pictured at
                http://scka.org/images2/spinleash2.jpg
                It's not all that clear, but just below the shackle there's a
                stopper ball, & then a plain stainless O-ring, to which the leash
                attaches. Very cheap, simple, & effective. It's shown with a
                center-line sliding-ring leash, but should work equally well on a
                rear line, &/or with an old style system.

                Mel
              • Peter Frank
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                  > http://scka.org/images2/spinleash2.jpg

                  Thats a brilliant idea Mel, with a "no-load" leash ring.

                  And if the leash does not untwist totally by itself, it can be done
                  easily with one hand (unlike the shackle which can be tough to spin
                  under heavy load).

                  Will think about how to use it in different systems.

                  One major problem in many complete systems, is the distance the
                  depower is from the hook.
                  It should be as near as possible - so you can power the kite fully up
                  (or even stall it on purpose).
                  AND - some has a riding style with the bar very close to the harness.

                  Anyway - the bar should be able to be pulled almost down to the
                  harness hook.
                  This is not possible in many of the (home)solutions made today.

                  The goal should be to obtain the max. possible power/depower
                  distance, meaning bar able to come close to the hook, and able to
                  slide away to fully extended arms (or more...)

                  :-) Peter

                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...> wrote:
                  > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Peter Frank" <pf@4...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Most systems won't work well under load - and you are under full
                  > load
                  > > all the time...
                  > > I ALWAYS use a safety leash, and until a good useable unspin
                  > system
                  > > appears, I'll just jump the other way around to unspin. This is
                  > > really good practice anyway.
                  >
                  > There are several systems which spin quite well, because they use a
                  > separate swivel for the leash (which has very little load).
                  There's
                  > one pictured at
                  > http://scka.org/images2/spinleash2.jpg
                  > It's not all that clear, but just below the shackle there's a
                  > stopper ball, & then a plain stainless O-ring, to which the leash
                  > attaches. Very cheap, simple, & effective. It's shown with a
                  > center-line sliding-ring leash, but should work equally well on a
                  > rear line, &/or with an old style system.
                  >
                  > Mel
                • Anthony
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002

                    > The goal should be to obtain the max. possible power/depower
                    > distance, meaning bar able to come close to the hook, and able to
                    > slide away to fully extended arms (or more...)

                    Peter,

                    I used to think the same thing. However there are two issues.

                    1. The maximum bar travel should be no more then the distance between
                    the front and back pigtails on the kite. This is the theroetical
                    maximum depower situation which is still impossible since it would
                    mean your kite has swivelled through a full 90 degrees.

                    2. Too much depower can be a bad thing when you start to do one
                    handed and no handed tricks (thats hands on the bar). If you are in
                    teh air and let go of the bar and it is allowed to travell to full
                    depower, you tend to fall out the air quiet quickly.

                    What I do now is not to have such a full depower travel. If the wind
                    is that strong that it need to depower more then use the trim strap.

                    Cheers

                    Anthony
                  • Peter Frank
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2002
                      I don't agree fully Anthony.

                      1. All new fast kites fly more on the front lines, than the backlines.
                      This means, you can let go fully of the bar (even cut your backlines
                      away for a short time... It'll still fly).
                      When you depower in high winds - you need to have the rear lines more
                      or less slack. The wind resistance in the lines, creates a lot of
                      tension on the rear points, which is more than adequate to steer the
                      kite.
                      So the depower distance could be much bigger than the expected
                      theoretical distance ! (And often is...)

                      2. One handed tricks (rear hand off bar) - no problem, you can feel
                      and control the power with one hand on the bar.
                      No-handed tricks ? That would be a problem - but always use the fixed
                      loop for this (thats why its there...), and you will never have
                      problems !
                      And if you are doing one handed with your rear hand on the bar - use
                      the fixed loop again.

                      Another problem with too short depower distance (I am talking without
                      bridles, because this is the most used), is in the lulls.
                      It is perfect like you say, to use the trimstrap to adjust to the
                      wind, yep.
                      But if the wind suddenly drops to near nothing, you should be able to
                      just find the sweet spot again for these few moments it might last,
                      instead of using the trimstrap.
                      And vice versa in the gusts of course - it is sweet just to have full
                      power / depower control immediately.

                      These are just my preferences - like you say, it might be very
                      individual...

                      :-) Peter Frank