Re: [ksurf]Leash - Safety system - autoreturn after doing aback/frontloop

  • Rudy de Groot
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      agreed on the partially functioning SL, not that the wichard doesn't spin
      when loaded. mine really does. guess the kitesurfing kiel setup also wears
      down the depower line pretty fast..

      if one is interested, here's my safety system:

      my shackle is attached on the depower leader (vs. attached on the harness
      hook) with depower leader running through an external holthallen o ring on
      the bar.

      my SL (safety leash) is out of rubber AND NYLON COATED bungee cord and
      attached (it's detachable, just used a lark's head knot) the old fashioned
      way to one of the steering lines. it's attached on the harness via small
      rvs climbers hook. (see safety4.gif in my folder in the dutch kitesurfer
      counterpart.) twists can be undone untwisting the bar and simply pull the
      bungee back over/under the bar. the greatest advantage is that it's a
      SIMPLE setup and the safety is functional. didn't have time to adjust but
      it probably works great (better) too with the bungee attached to one of the
      depower lines (a la X2). as the climbers hook on the SL goes next to the
      wichard on the harness hook, and is not attached to the wichard itself (*)
      there's less chance of twist around the depower leader during un-spinned
      rides.

      there's one minor disadvantage, the climbers hook sometimes opens when the
      bar is in the water and you're pulled through. for me it's not such a great
      deal for the leash can be re-attached easily while shaking the bar back and
      forth. one should definately use a more fixed alternative (climbers hook
      with screws are available.) when the leash is on one of the depower lines
      or when you still crash a lot....

      (*) most of the free / spinning bar concepts use snapshackles attached to
      the harness hook with the SL on the non-spinning end of the shackle.

      stoked4life, rudy.g