Martin Vari Pro Model

  • martinvari
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2002
      In the past few weeks there have been some arguments about the
      development of the Vari pro model from "Cabrinha Kiteboarding", I want to
      make clear some steps and stages that I went thru to develop the board.

      Since I moved from wakeboards to twintips, I have been trying many
      different boards from various shapers, after a few months of testing and
      learning I found a direction that I wanted to follow to get the perfect boards for
      me. I personally like to ride very different types of boards and then start
      narrowing down the options to get the right ones. At that time I heard about a
      factory named "Underground" which could make fast boards by computer, I
      contacted them in order to start developing my boards. This option was the
      best for me because even though there were shapers that could make me the
      board I wanted, they were not going to be made as fast as the machines that
      Underground uses.

      At Cabrinha we always use custom shapers for our prototype boards but I
      personally decided to go for Underground because of the quick turnaround
      and the price.

      The steps that I took to develop my board where like this:

      In the beginning I sent all the specific measurements I wanted for the first 5
      boards I wanted from the factory (not regular underground sizes). I gave my
      input to the factory on the boards, and from there I started developing each
      size to get the most performance of the boards. Always giving specific
      measurements of each board I ordered. From length, flex, width, rail
      sharpness, fin position up to specific stance, color and inserts placement.

      All these boards that I was/ am riding work really well but they are very
      different from the regular Underground shapes. They were so different that we
      even refer to the boards at the factory as the Vari Model. What I mean is that
      many friends and other riders wanted to get boards exactly like mine and to
      make it easier they would say the vari model (like mine) instead of giving the
      factory all the measurements I had already given them. In the factory they
      even call it with my name.

      Even if the Underground boards are not very light it is still very convenient
      and that's why I have my boards made by Underground. Cabrinha is very
      adamant about having original products. They are a design-based company.
      There many differences in performance and design between the Vari Model
      and Underground boards.

      I really hope this will end with the arguments about the development of my
      boards, I know Underground is happy and I'm still working with them, I know
      Cabrinha is happy for the great performance of the boards, and finally I am
      happy for my board. So lets put an end the rumors and enjoy the riding.

      Aloha,
      Martin Vari
    • Chris Glazier
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2002
        Thanks for the post Martin. Very informative.

        Chris G

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "martinvari" <martinvari@y...> wrote:
        > In the past few weeks there have been some arguments about the
        > development of the Vari pro model from "Cabrinha Kiteboarding", I
        want to
        > make clear some steps and stages that I went thru to develop the
        board........
        ..
      • ariraptis
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2002
          Thanks for setting this straight Martin.

          The only unhappy person is Steve,but he is allways unhappy anyway!
          Too bad he had to sprout off and drag Martins name,along with
          Cabrinha down into the sewer pit from which his mind comes!!
          At least he did appologise and tried to withdraw his orriginal posts
          (probably under threat of litigation!)But then continued his attacks

          Ari

        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
            Thanks for giving me the opportunity to put my name in front of everyone
            again Ari! :-)
            You still have not worked it out have you? :-))))

            Well I am sitting here with a big grin thinking, is it really Martin Vari,
            anyone can invent a false ID on the net easily, just as you have Ari, maybe
            thats a bit much to think of though?

            And is it the truth anyway?

            I will wait until I have some more facts before I make another post on this
            topic, if I could be bothered, but you go right ahead and make a fool of
            yourself Ari, its what we have come to expect from you, thanks again pres!
            :-))))

            Cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            open 7 days, every week.

            Message: 19

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
              Ah ! Still unhappy Steve?

              Ari cannot understand your attacks on him,when he is merely
              supporting the truth and the underdog. The underdog in this case
              being those that can not respond to your attacks!

              It is bad enough that a true gentleman like Martin has to lower
              himself to respond to your insults and vilification. A large
              corporation like Neil Pryde can not really respond.However if you go
              too far,their only option would be deal with it in the legal system!

              One wonders if your motives are:

              -You are trying to impress Underground
              -You are trying to hurt your opposition (Neil Pryde and Cabrinha
              dealers)
              - You are trying to kill two birds with one stone ?

              Ari

              --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kitepower" <sydney@k...> wrote:
              > Thanks for giving me the opportunity to put my name in front of
              everyone
              > again Ari! :-)
              > You still have not worked it out have you? :-))))
              >
              > Well I am sitting here with a big grin thinking, is it really
              Martin Vari,
              > anyone can invent a false ID on the net easily, just as you have
              Ari, maybe
              > thats a bit much to think of though?
              >
              > And is it the truth anyway?
              >
              > I will wait until I have some more facts before I make another post
              on this
              > topic, if I could be bothered, but you go right ahead and make a
              fool of
              > yourself Ari, its what we have come to expect from you, thanks
              again pres!
              > :-))))
              >
              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack
              > http://www.kitepower.com.au
              > open 7 days, every week.
              >

              > Message: 19
              > Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 06:06:58 -0000
              > From: "ariraptis" <ariraptis@y...>
              > Subject: Re: Martin Vari Pro Model
              >
              > Thanks for setting this straight Martin.
              >

              > The only unhappy person is Steve,but he is allways unhappy anyway!
              > Too bad he had to sprout off and drag Martins name,along with
              > Cabrinha down into the sewer pit from which his mind comes!!
              > At least he did appologise and tried to withdraw his orriginal posts
              > (probably under threat of litigation!)But then continued his attacks
              >
              > Ari
            • hink_trent
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2002
                You don't have to worry about any one impersonating Kitepower on the
                internet, Steve is the Real Deal. Steve is not an idiot, He is a
                genius.

                Steve sent me an e-mail the other day (in response to a post I made
                on this group)calling me a few more names and then for some reason
                explaining himself. The way he sees it, Any time he gets to reply to
                a post on this news group he gets to put the link to his shop at the
                end of the post. Steve, who is maybe much smarter than I thought
                earlier, beleives that any chance for publicity will be good for his
                store because it will make people aware of it's existance. Steve
                doesn't care if he makes a total idiot of himself on this group
                because he still makes people aware of his business and people who
                live around his shops will probably come and check it out and maybe
                even buy things from him despite the fact that they may think he is a
                total asshole; that's smart because it probably works.

                Steve's only real motive here is to promote his shop and he does not
                care if the publicity is bad or good as long as he gets SOME
                publicity. Recently, ha has been taking the oportunity to get lost
                and lots of publicity.

                Right or wrong, moral or immoral, Steve is a shrewd businessman and
                anyone who replies to his abusive posts is only helping him
                accomplish his goal. If you don't like Steve, Please ignore his
                personal attacks so that he will not have any excuse to comment
                further on them and get more publicity for his store.

                Maybe then Steve will have to resort to posting useful bits of
                information in order to get the publicity he craves. I seem to maybe
                remember this happening ocassionally... long, long ago.

                Steve, maybe you should be putting (COM)in the header any time you
                post or reply? I think you should at least make some effort to
                contribute in return for your exploitation of this group, or at least
                be honest about your intentions.

                I hope people who live near Sydney or Geelong and might visit one of
                the kitepower stores will take into account the fact that Steve, the
                owner, is a very smart guy and listen carefully to what he says. Just
                because Kitepower does not have your best interests in mind does not
                mean you cannot buy some gear from them, right? I'm sure Steve will
                give you a good deal.

                I want to publicly take back calling Steve an idiot and renounce my
                membership in the anti-Steve club. Steve is a genius. Steve, I am
                your new biggest fan. I can picture you reading this post and giddily
                typing a response with a great advertisement for Kitepower at the
                end. Best of luck to you and kitepower. You are a swell guy. Maybe
                someday I will be able to meet you in person. For now I'll just
                settle for helping you out any way I can.

                With new adoration,
                Non-Thinking Dickhead

                > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kitepower" <sydney@k...> wrote:
                > > Thanks for giving me the opportunity to put my name in front of
                > everyone
                > > again Ari! :-)
                > > You still have not worked it out have you? :-))))
                > >
                > > Well I am sitting here with a big grin thinking, is it really
                > Martin Vari,
                > > anyone can invent a false ID on the net easily, just as you have
                > Ari, maybe
                > > thats a bit much to think of though?
                > >
                > > And is it the truth anyway?
                > >
                > > I will wait until I have some more facts before I make another
                post
                > on this
                > > topic, if I could be bothered, but you go right ahead and make a
                > fool of
                > > yourself Ari, its what we have come to expect from you, thanks
                > again pres!
                > > :-))))
              • kanehartill
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
                  ehhhh...Marteeno...
                  'Sup? long time no hear.

                  <snip>
                  >At that time I heard about a
                  > factory named "Underground" which could make fast boards by
                  computer, I
                  > contacted them in order to start developing my boards. This option
                  was the
                  > best for me because even though there were shapers that could make
                  me the
                  > board I wanted, they were not going to be made as fast as the
                  machines that
                  > Underground uses.

                  ......I didn't notice any machines as I 240, 400 and 800 grit wet-
                  sanded your boards for hours. Tell my elbow there're machines that
                  can do that, ha ha ha. It was torture 'cause we do it outside and I
                  get to watch the glorious whitecappings just 40 metres away across
                  the road. Almost over my bum injury...not long before I can go play
                  too;) Windy everyday here, best spring in years and I got a special
                  new wt147 in the pipeline, can't wait. Adrian and Aaron get to
                  cross the road when eva it's windy, but poor Steve the factory
                  manager has had a broken leg for 4 months. But he had his first day
                  back on the water yesterday...lit on a 4.9 airblast! Just after a
                  new local teamrider Chris Brent broke his ribs when he didn't pull
                  out of a kite-low whirlybird. It's shaping up to be a great summer
                  anyhow...actually every employee at Underground got to "cross the
                  road" today...'cept Jade, but he's ok, he can kiteboard, but is more
                  into his break dancing comp's.

                  > <snip>
                  > At Cabrinha we always use custom shapers for our prototype
                  boards but I
                  > personally decided to go for Underground because of the quick
                  turnaround
                  > and the price.

                  ummm, yeah, again, partly my elbow for the turnaround, and NZ being
                  kinda like Argentina for the price. Ha ha ha, he hehe
                  ...represent...Aotearoa styles
                  much aroha
                  -kane