bar length

  • rippitgood
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2002
      Just got a new 21" bar (actually 19.5" between the lines). This works
      fine on my X2 12.0. Would it be long enough for a 16 X2 (which I hope
      to get in the future)?? I know it feels too short for my 17.5 ARX,
      but it seems the newer kites can use shorter bars. Could send the bar
      back for a 24" but don't want to.
      Anyway, I'll have plenty of time to set up my new bar cause I broke
      some ribs today crashing a really high back loop- my first bad injury
      in 3 years. Maybe those impact vests aren't such a bad idea.
      Wishing I could take a deep breath, Cheers, rippitgood
    • Phillip McConnachie
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 02:13:17 -0000
        > From: "m2high2fly" <gottro1@...>
        > Subject: Bar Lenght
        >
        > Does bar lenght have much bearing on the control and
        > kite
        > performance? For example a 12m aero2 and a 16m aero;
        > does the bar
        > lenght effect the flying response or does it depend
        > on the wind (mph)?
        > I noticed the bars with a 12 and a 16 vary in
        > lenght.
        >
        > Also has anyone heard about a naish recall on kites?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Harry

        you will find you have to take your board off more to
        compensate for lack of bar length ;)

        but seriously, shorter bars make the kite more stable
        but physically harder to steer, (less leverage) stops
        the kite moving around to much by pressure on the bar
        . Holding the bar closer to the centre helps
        stabalize the kite also. With bigger kites such as
        your 16, a bar a couple of inches longer maybe a nice
        option in lighter winds. If you go too short you will
        sacrafice turning ability.

        Mind you havn't heard too many complaints about extra
        length.

        hope this helps
        Phil

        http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
        Send your love online with Yahoo! Greetings - FREE!
      • Chris Glazier
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
          I think most Naish kites (at least the Aero2 and X3) use the 55cm
          bar for sizes from 8m to 16m. I think other manufacterers are close
          to that too. Only kites ouside this range need longer or shorter
          bars.

          C Glazier

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Phillip McConnachie