Jumping Technique

  • igsmith
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
      Curious as to what people's thoughts are on jumping...

      When I learned to jump off flat water, I had it in my mind to work
      the kite up to say between 12 and 1 o'clock (for a starboard side -
      right hand forward - jump) and then pop the kite back to say, 11
      o'clock to get the lift, bring it back to 12 o'clock for the glide
      and then back down into the power zone to plane off. If you read in
      the magazines, this is essentially what they suggest. The problem is
      that it is relatively easy to get pulled off your edge when you put
      the kite up to 1 o'clock, making the jumps inconsistent.

      I have recently been working on a new technique, however, that seems
      to work much much better, but I haven't seen anyone discuss it in the
      mags or on the news groups, but it may be in fact what people do.

      To prepare for the jump you keep the kite much lower in the window
      (say 2 o'clock, assuming that 3 o'clock is the water's edge) and then
      completely reverse the kite so that it is driving through the power
      zone towards the "center" of the clock. Just before it hits the
      center of the clock, you send it straight up (towards 12 o'clock). It
      is then where you release from the water. With this technique, the
      kite theoretically never ends up on the other side of the window. You
      then drive it back down into the powerzone to plane off.

      My jumps are MUCH more consistent and I never seem to lose an edge.
      Also higher and longer.

      Just curious as to people's thoughts.

      Ian
    • fabinhoj
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
        I saw people doing this in a contest last week, I tried and works
        great, better than going 1 o´clock.

        If you want to go downwind put the kite 3 o ´clock and go 12o´clock.
        works for me
        Fabio