Re: stacking, long board and big kites

  • mrjomacdonald
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      This light wind buzz is contagious.
      Jo

      --- In kitesurf@y..., georgeiw@a... wrote:
      > Nick, you mentioned a "long" board at 7'6". What is it like? What
      brand or did you make it.
      > Do any of you guys have a picture of a stacked pair of kites?
      > How long do you make the second set of lines.
      > I have Rhino 16 and have thought about the toro 18 as well as the
      Rhino 22.5.
      > Going in 8 knots sounds pretty good.
      > George
    • kiteboardingjapan
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., georgeiw@a... wrote:
        > Nick, you mentioned a "long" board at 7'6". What is it like? What
        brand or did you make it.

        It's a Parkes custom. At 7'6" it's more of a mini malibu size. It's
        got really soft round edges, loads of colume and 3 fcs fins. This
        board totally disproves the theory that you need sharp edges
        to "rock" upwind. This board points further upwind than almost any
        board I've ridden. Couldn't tell you why...

        > Do any of you guys have a picture of a stacked pair of kites?

        Check out my site at:
        http://www.kiteboardingjapan.com/page_design/infoframe.html

        The Japanese will come like crap on your screens, but the pics are
        all you want anyway. These are a stack of 16 & 12 X2s. The wind was
        around 6 knots. The guy in the top 3 pics is ridding a 133cm wake,
        but he only weighs 48kgs.

        > How long do you make the second set of lines.

        These were the 7m extensions you get with the Areo.

        > I have Rhino 16 and have thought about the toro 18 as well as the
        Rhino 22.5.
        > Going in 8 knots sounds pretty good.

        I tried a 16 & 12 Toro today. The wind was less than 5 knots, so
        keeping the kites in the sky was hard enough. Tried to go out on my
        LWD 148, but didn't have enough juice. Because the wind was light it
        was hard to tell if the setting was right. Appears as if the front
        lines of the extension set may have to be made a fraction shorter if
        using Toros. I also tried 7m lines, but does anyone else out there
        use a different length?

        Nick