Re: [ksurf] footpads

  • Dènis Riedijk
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
      NSI Doyle pads are really great. I've put them on my homemade board, and
      they rock. Even with my straps too wide, I could ride well, 'cause the pads
      fit so well. Now with my straps adjusted right, it feels like my board grew
      from my feet :-)

      grtz,
      Dènis

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
        Peter,

        These last few weeks I've been like a mad scientist trying to find footbeds
        and straps that could help me kick the binding habit. The new Litewave
        footbed that comes with his anti-binding, is the most padded and comfy. It
        feels like a cushy thick full binding footbed. Good job Dave! Dave's strap
        covering is a little slippery though. The slingshot footbed is hard, with a
        large defined arch that locks the foot in great. I ended up feeling the most
        secure using the SS footbed with the NSI strap, with 1/8" bungee hidden
        under the covering to provide a slight tension on the my foot. It's all
        mental I know, but it helps me get over that sloppy strap feel. I never
        should have switched to bindings 2 years ago. Then I wouldn't have these
        problems today.

        Dwight

        > What are people's favorite footpads for support, comfort and
        > cushioning? I am using some dakine witht the little toe gripper ridge
        > and that works pretty well for keeping my feet in, but they don't have
        > quite enough cushioning as my feet hurt after a big air sesh. They also
        > aren't that comforatble for me. I use them with the dakine core wide
        > asym kitestraps which I like alot. How do people like the slingshot
        > pads?..they look nice but I have just tried them on land not for hours
        > on the water..or are there others that are good???
        >
        > -Peter
      • cfglazier
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
          > > What are people's favorite footpads for support, comfort and
          > > cushioning?
          > > -Peter

          Around here the Slingshot sport cuff is very popular. We get them in
          the Gorge where there are a lot of similar products available (NSI,
          Dakine, Nice) but the Sport cuff is what most of us choose.

          http://www.e-stormwarning.com/slingshot_bindings.htm

          You could also make the same thing by gluing on a NSI Doyle footpad
          and then using a wide strap like the NSI Adam Koch one.

          Chris G
        • flygirl93402
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
            F.one also has some really nice new footstraps. Wide, comfy and
            don't stretch. They don't fit everybody's feet though, especially
            women's. We just got 15 pairs in and have one pair left!

            marina
            kitexcite

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "cfglazier" <cglazier@c...> wrote:
            > > > What are people's favorite footpads for support, comfort and
            > > > cushioning?
            > > > -Peter
            >
            > Around here the Slingshot sport cuff is very popular. We get them
            in
            > the Gorge where there are a lot of similar products available (NSI,
            > Dakine, Nice) but the Sport cuff is what most of us choose.
            >
            > http://www.e-stormwarning.com/slingshot_bindings.htm
            >
            > You could also make the same thing by gluing on a NSI Doyle footpad
            > and then using a wide strap like the NSI Adam Koch one.
            >
            > Chris G
          • Peter Traykovski
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
              I tend to like them on the firmer side so i'll try to get some
              slingshots to try. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I didn't really
              like the NSI strap much. I found it way too floppy and soft. It also
              seemd to be designed to be used with booties or thick pads. I had to
              make holes about 3/4 inside ther holes on both sides to get the NSI to
              wok and then the shape was all distorted. I like the dakine core ayms
              wide straps alot. They are really stiff so some people complain they rip
              their feet up, but for me it just a good solid foot board connection
              which is what I want. They defintely are the least sloppy feeling of any
              I tried.

              Dwight & Jacky wrote:

              >Peter,
              >
              >These last few weeks I've been like a mad scientist trying to find footbeds
              >and straps that could help me kick the binding habit. The new Litewave
              >footbed that comes with his anti-binding, is the most padded and comfy. It
              >feels like a cushy thick full binding footbed. Good job Dave! Dave's strap
              >covering is a little slippery though. The slingshot footbed is hard, with a
              >large defined arch that locks the foot in great. I ended up feeling the most
              >secure using the SS footbed with the NSI strap, with 1/8" bungee hidden
              >under the covering to provide a slight tension on the my foot. It's all
              >mental I know, but it helps me get over that sloppy strap feel. I never
              >should have switched to bindings 2 years ago. Then I wouldn't have these
              >problems today.
              >
              >Dwight
              >

              >>What are people's favorite footpads for support, comfort and
              >>cushioning? I am using some dakine witht the little toe gripper ridge
              >>and that works pretty well for keeping my feet in, but they don't have
              >>quite enough cushioning as my feet hurt after a big air sesh. They also
              >>aren't that comforatble for me. I use them with the dakine core wide
              >>asym kitestraps which I like alot. How do people like the slingshot
              >>pads?..they look nice but I have just tried them on land not for hours
              >>on the water..or are there others that are good???
              >>
              >>-Peter
              >>

              >This group is sponsored by KITEHIGH.COM
              >The original - http://www.KITEHIGH.COM
              >Kiteboarding Lessons & the USA's largest gear range
              >COMPLETE packages from $879 up
              >P: 1 866 646 7835 TOLL FREE
              >E: info@...

            • Dwight & Jacky
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
                Chris,

                Look closely at the picture on that link. I've never seen a SS with that
                extra layer of foam under it. That must be an old picture. The ones they
                shipped just two weeks ago, that I bought, are thinner. What came on my
                sandal is exactly like what comes on a SS board, but with the plate added.
                That's not what's shown in that picture.

                Dwight

                > Around here the Slingshot sport cuff is very popular. We get them in
                > the Gorge where there are a lot of similar products available (NSI,
                > Dakine, Nice) but the Sport cuff is what most of us choose.
                >
                > http://www.e-stormwarning.com/slingshot_bindings.htm
                >
                > You could also make the same thing by gluing on a NSI Doyle footpad
                > and then using a wide strap like the NSI Adam Koch one.
                >
                > Chris G
              • Dwight & Jacky
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
                  The SS footbed is a little wide for a snug side fit of the strap. I cut away
                  a lot from the sides to snug up the strap. I used a set of holes inward from
                  the stock set up. I burned new holes in the strap to make it smaller too. I
                  would also throw the stock barrel nuts and screws away. Those barrels nuts
                  corrode in just a few weeks and break in 3 months. The same ones are used on
                  a lot of bindings. You need a hammer to knock them out of the plate. SS
                  needs to stop using them ASAP. While I'm complaining, stop using painted
                  aluminum base plates. Don't you guys ride in salt water? Geeze!!!! Anodized
                  aluminum please!! These painted plates look like shit in 4 weeks. Litewave
                  was smarter. He used screws, real locknuts, and anodized plates.

                  I'll have to check those Contour straps out.

                  Dwight

                  > I tend to like them on the firmer side so i'll try to get some
                  > slingshots to try. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I didn't really
                  > like the NSI strap much. I found it way too floppy and soft. It also
                  > seemd to be designed to be used with booties or thick pads. I had to
                  > make holes about 3/4 inside ther holes on both sides to get the NSI to
                  > wok and then the shape was all distorted. I like the dakine core ayms
                  > wide straps alot. They are really stiff so some people complain they rip
                  > their feet up, but for me it just a good solid foot board connection
                  > which is what I want. They defintely are the least sloppy feeling of any
                  > I tried.
                  >
                  > Dwight & Jacky wrote:
                  >
                  > >Peter,
                  > >
                  > >These last few weeks I've been like a mad scientist trying to find
                  footbeds
                  > >and straps that could help me kick the binding habit. The new Litewave
                  > >footbed that comes with his anti-binding, is the most padded and comfy.
                  It
                  > >feels like a cushy thick full binding footbed. Good job Dave! Dave's
                  strap
                  > >covering is a little slippery though. The slingshot footbed is hard, with
                  > >large defined arch that locks the foot in great. I ended up feeling the
                  most
                  > >secure using the SS footbed with the NSI strap, with 1/8" bungee hidden
                  > >under the covering to provide a slight tension on the my foot. It's all
                  > >mental I know, but it helps me get over that sloppy strap feel. I never
                  > >should have switched to bindings 2 years ago. Then I wouldn't have these
                  > >problems today.
                  > >
                  > >Dwight
                  > >

                  > >>What are people's favorite footpads for support, comfort and
                  > >>cushioning? I am using some dakine witht the little toe gripper ridge
                  > >>and that works pretty well for keeping my feet in, but they don't have
                  > >>quite enough cushioning as my feet hurt after a big air sesh. They also
                  > >>aren't that comforatble for me. I use them with the dakine core wide
                  > >>asym kitestraps which I like alot. How do people like the slingshot
                  > >>pads?..they look nice but I have just tried them on land not for hours
                  > >>on the water..or are there others that are good???
                  > >>
                  > >>-Peter
                • janwcoffey
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
                    No no don't go over to the dark side Dwhight!

                    or...go on do it, you'll be back.

                  • janwcoffey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
                      I have a pair of these I will let go for $75. If you are in the bay
                      area that is a good deal, if not then it isn't order yourself some
                      new ones.

                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "cfglazier" <cglazier@c...> wrote:
                      > > > What are people's favorite footpads for support, comfort and
                      > > > cushioning?
                      > > > -Peter
                      >
                      > Around here the Slingshot sport cuff is very popular. We get them
                      in
                      > the Gorge where there are a lot of similar products available (NSI,
                      > Dakine, Nice) but the Sport cuff is what most of us choose.
                      >
                      > http://www.e-stormwarning.com/slingshot_bindings.htm
                      >
                      > You could also make the same thing by gluing on a NSI Doyle footpad
                      > and then using a wide strap like the NSI Adam Koch one.
                      >
                      > Chris G
                    • cfglazier
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
                        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@c...> wrote:
                        > Look closely at the picture on that link. I've never seen a SS
                        with that
                        > extra layer of foam under it. That must be an old picture.

                        Dwight
                        My Slingshot sport cuff bindings are exactly like the picture. There
                        are four layers of foam above the plate and one below it. (In the
                        picture there is something else below that, but any foam below the
                        plate is of little value anyway).

                        http://www.e-stormwarning.com/slingshot_bindings.htm

                        They are very comfortable and snug. The raised arch allows me to
                        keep my feet locked in better. Of course I have adjusted the strap
                        to my foot size.

                        I have used mine for 30 days on the water, mostly in salt water.
                        There is no sign of corrosion on the plate and the stainless steel
                        screws and nuts are in perfect shape. I am very happy with mine (as
                        opposed to my old NSI anti-bindings which were not satisfactory).

                        Nobody else here has had any problems with them any everyone likes
                        the comfort and fit.

                        (I have nothing to do with Slingshot and I paid full retail for
                        mine).

                        Chris Glazier
                        Vancouver
                      • Dwight & Jacky
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 2, 2002
                          Don't be fooled by the shinny metal. The nuts are not stainless steel. They
                          are nickel plated soft metal of some type. This prevents thread seizing. You
                          can't see the corrosion until you take the straps off. Without warning, they
                          will break in a few months. You have two screws each side of the straps, so
                          hopefully you'll see one screw pop loose and not completely ruin your day
                          when it happens.

                          Dwight

                          > Dwight
                          > My Slingshot sport cuff bindings are exactly like the picture. There
                          > are four layers of foam above the plate and one below it. (In the
                          > picture there is something else below that, but any foam below the
                          > plate is of little value anyway).
                          >
                          > http://www.e-stormwarning.com/slingshot_bindings.htm
                          >
                          > They are very comfortable and snug. The raised arch allows me to
                          > keep my feet locked in better. Of course I have adjusted the strap
                          > to my foot size.
                          >
                          > I have used mine for 30 days on the water, mostly in salt water.
                          > There is no sign of corrosion on the plate and the stainless steel
                          > screws and nuts are in perfect shape. I am very happy with mine (as
                          > opposed to my old NSI anti-bindings which were not satisfactory).
                          >
                          > Nobody else here has had any problems with them any everyone likes
                          > the comfort and fit.
                          >
                          > (I have nothing to do with Slingshot and I paid full retail for
                          > mine).
                          >
                          > Chris Glazier
                          > Vancouver
                        • Tony Gaunce
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 2, 2002
                            Dwight,

                            I'm interested in your comparison of footstraps and bindings
                            as someone who has ridden both.
                            I currently ride full bindings and am very happy in them.
                            I've never been happy in footstraps but have not invested the
                            energy you have to make them work for me.
                            A couple questions ...
                            1) Why the change? Is it the bad wipeouts in bindings made
                            better with straps or is there more?
                            2) How about a pros/cons comparison?
                            3) Do you lose the board more? Are you using a leash?
                            Just Curious. Thanks.

                            | These last few weeks I've been like a mad scientist trying to find
                            footbeds
                            | and straps that could help me kick the binding habit. The new Litewave
                            | footbed that comes with his anti-binding, is the most padded and comfy. It
                            | feels like a cushy thick full binding footbed. Good job Dave! Dave's strap
                            | covering is a little slippery though. The slingshot footbed is hard, with
                            | large defined arch that locks the foot in great. I ended up feeling the
                            most
                            | secure using the SS footbed with the NSI strap, with 1/8" bungee hidden
                            | under the covering to provide a slight tension on the my foot. It's all
                            | mental I know, but it helps me get over that sloppy strap feel. I never
                            | should have switched to bindings 2 years ago. Then I wouldn't have these
                            | problems today.
                            |
                            | Dwight

                          • hernanhome
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 2, 2002