Re: [ksurf] 28m2 X2

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
      Nick,

      How's that Toro 18 working? Does it have power close to a 22.5 Rhino, like
      Ken said? Is the construction the same as the other Toros? Since it came out
      late, I was wondering if it has some of the Rhino 2 reinforcements, like
      ballistic duck tips.

      Dwight

      > When I got to the beach yesterday the wind was light and so I went
      > out on my Toro 18 and 7'6" longboard. I could ride, but staying
      > upwind was difficult in the sub 8 knot wind. My friend stacked a 16m2
      > and 12m2 X2 and was fully powered up on a 133cm wakeboard. He is a
      > really light guy, but it shows that stacking kites is the best light
      > wind option. Considering that the power was considerably more than my
      > Toro 18, which according to Ken Winner has the same power as the
      > Rhino 22.5, I would guess that stacking the kites gives you close to
      > the combined surface area. God knows what power the 20m2 and 16m2
      > would have! Bye-the-way, he was jumping and riding out of transitions
      > too.
      >
      > Nick
    • kiteboardingjapan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
        Dwight,

        It's a great 18m2 kite. I fly it of the same 23" cabrinha bar that I
        use for my Toro 8, 12 & 16. Turns about the same as the 16m2. I've
        used the 22.5 a lot as my friend has one here, and the power is about
        the same. The kites even looks a similar size, but I haven't laid
        them out yet. However, the turn speed of the 18 is infinitely better
        than the 22.5, which makes low wind tricks no problem. It appears to
        be constructed the same as my other Toros. Bit of a luxury kite for
        me at only 67kgs, but great when I can't be bothered to sin my 16m2.
        This kite is fun to use and not a drag like the other big kites of
        the past.

        Once I've tried stacking my 12 and 16, I'll give the 16 & 18 a go!

        Nick