Re: [ksurf] Boom vector new depower

  • gregwalshau
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2002
      I have been using the new Boom depower system on my Vector 9.0 for
      the past few weeks and I've just swapped my trusty 11.5 over too. I
      really like it.

      It provides for brake steering and still gives angle of attack
      adjustment. It also eliminates the cross bridling, the pulley on the
      Y-line and the extra brake line. You have to swap over the brake
      bridles. I made my own set of brake bridles and the speed system
      using instructions provided by Boom. It was easy to do and took about
      4 hours including sewing the lines and swapping stuff over. I used
      the old cross-bridle lines to make the new brake bridles.

      The front line has more load on it so I have switched over to two
      separate front lines exactly the same as any 4-line inflatable. In
      fact I'm using the same bar and line setup I used to have on my AR5s.
      This also eliminates the knot at the Y-joint which was a little
      tangle prone on the beach.

      The system gives much faster turning, simpler bar and line system,
      very light handling, better bottom end, auto-relaunch and total
      depower after landing, and control equivalent to 4-line handles. You
      really can do stunt-kite like moves on the brakes if you want to.
      It's great for side-window launching. The light bar pressure makes
      one handed riding much more comfortable.

      I have a short leash to two rear leaders. You can also do the single
      (or double) sliding rear-line leash if you want but you lose the auto-
      relaunch if you do the single. It spins about the same as an
      inflatable on one rear line.

      I still have a few brake tuning issues to sort out on my kites but
      the bottom end range seems to be better and could be much better once
      I get the brakes set just right.

      I think the top-end range is still as good but I have felt that I
      have had to edge a little more to get the top end. The feel is more
      like the lagging Flysurfer depower than the instant depower the
      Vector has always offered. I suspect this has something to do with
      the brake tuning. I'll sort it out shortly if we get some more wind
      and when the Boom guys get back from their trip and we can exchange
      some emails. Either way I've been happily zooming around on my 11.5
      in 20 knots.

      Regards

      Greg
    • Marc Munzer
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hi all,

        I am arranging a kitesurf event in cooperation with Advance, Boom, and
        Flysurfer in northren denmark, the 21st and 22nd of september. It should
        be a great opportunity to see all the new foil kites in action and try
        them yourself. The location is central to norway, sweden, denmark, and
        northren germany.
        Check out the new depower rhea, the new vector, and the new psycho...

        More info at www.foilfest.com. The web page also has information on all
        the new kites. The website is updated frequently with new info.
        Best regards,

        Marc
        GoExtreme.dk
      • diogozero
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
          Greg can you take some pictures to show the kite lines and the bar?

          thanks

          diogo
        • gregwalshau
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "diogozero" <diogo@c...> wrote:
            > Greg can you take some pictures to show the kite lines and the bar?
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > diogo

            I can't really put up a picture of the new speed system. It's almost
            ready for production and Boom are a bit sensitive about other
            manufacturers getting their hands on it. If you send an email to
            Richard at Boom he is pretty happy to send instructions to their
            existing customers.

            As for the bar and lines there's not much to see. It looks exactly
            like any 4-line inflatable bar (with a leash to the back lines). Just
            imagine your Vector without the cross-bridle lines and without the
            brake line going down to the bar.

            Regards

            Greg
          • diogozero
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
              Thanks Greg, I will wait to richard answer my e mails, I´m very
              exicting with this new break turn so far my kite have no depower so
              it´s realy slow, I anxious to see how better the kite gone be.
              If you have something more to explaim about the system and tunning
              keep posting.

              diogo
            • kitesnowboarder
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2002
                Hi Marc
                a nice report pon the Psycho would be sweet
                i am really interested in this new kite
                a nice report would be great when you fly or see it flying at your
                event
                thanx

                Dan Sheridan
                http://www.kitesurfingcanada.com
                http://www.kitesnowboarding.net
                Serving Canada and the USA.
                Email: dan@...
                Phone: 416 818 6787

                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Marc Munzer" <mmun@i...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I am arranging a kitesurf event in cooperation with Advance, Boom,
                and
                > Flysurfer in northren denmark, the 21st and 22nd of september. It
                should
                > be a great opportunity to see all the new foil kites in action and
                try
                > them yourself. The location is central to norway, sweden, denmark,
                and
                > northren germany.
                > Check out the new depower rhea, the new vector, and the new
                psycho...

                > More info at www.foilfest.com. The web page also has information on
                all
                > the new kites. The website is updated frequently with new info.
                > Best regards,
                >
                > Marc
                > GoExtreme.dk
              • gregwalshau
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 9, 2002
                  Hi Marc

                  The info about the Psycho on the foilfest site is really really good.
                  I also liked your personal comments about the Vector. As it is good
                  to hear about other kites than inflatables it is also good to hear
                  about people kitesurfing with foils other than the Flysurfer.

                  Boom and Flysurfer give very detailed diagrams of their speed
                  systems. It would be good if Advance and Flexifoil and other foil
                  manufacturers gave as much detailed information about their depower
                  systems. I wonder if Airea have anything exciting up their sleeves.

                  Regards

                  Greg
                • Marc Munzer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 9, 2002
                    I also look forward to seeing the Psycho! Will definately make a video
                    report of it when I first get to fly it.

                    Regarding depower systems, I will post pictures of the advance system this
                    week. Check back later in the week.

                    Best regards,

                    Marc
                    GoExtreme.dk