Re: [ksurf] Re: 14 aero. 14 X2. Comparison.

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2002
      > What would you chose?
      >
      > I use an Underground DT 151
      > Weight: 63kg
      >
      > Thanks

      I general terms, I think lighter riders on bigger boards, are happier with
      speedy kites (x2) that depower better. I would place you in that category.
      Heavy dudes, riding smaller boards, perform better on gruntier (Aero) kites.

      Dwight
    • philflying
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30, 2002
        After reading all the threads related to the X2 I was convinced that
        the big sizes (18, 20) was the go if you wanted the best inflatable
        kite for low wind condition.
        Not very impressed by my Aero 16 I switched to an X2 18 a few weeks
        ago.
        So far I have used the X2 18 four times in marginal condition (let
        say 8 to 10 knots). This was my expected low end range for this kite.
        I can tell you that I have been disapointed!
        This very high aspect ratio kite is damn too heavy! Combination of
        high AR and heavy weight don't work very well together in this
        marginal condition.
        When doing the waterstart, the kite is very slow to go up in the air
        again after you dive it, despite its expected turning speed (only
        expected, not demonstrated in this condition!). Keep going require a
        huge effort unless you get momentum, but even on plane you have to
        spend a lot of energy for a poor result.
        In the same condition with my aero 12 I was sining the kite
        effortlessly, not going upwing but riding slowly and comfortably in
        moving the kite constantly (in this condition the Aero 12 feels like
        a mosquito compare to the X2!)
        So, my skill is average, I weight 80 and ride an Olry 175 TT. Maybe
        some fine tuning is needed (I know, this kite has been designed for
        expert riders, so i've probably overevaluated my capability to deal
        with such a beast?). Big X2s will work probably better with speedy
        bords (directional, mutant) and obviously in powered condition (no
        problem in the middle and high wind range).
        Any comments/advice is welcomed.

        By the way, anyone interested to do a "Big Kites" weight comparison
        between different brand and models? As it seems to me that it's an
        important factor in low wind condition.

        Anyway, I've got a series of very very good days with my favourite
        kite (Aero 12) this summer in the Canaria Islands.

        Have fun
        Phil

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@c...> wrote:
        > > What would you chose?
        > >
        > > I use an Underground DT 151
        > > Weight: 63kg
        > >
        > > Thanks
        >
        > I general terms, I think lighter riders on bigger boards, are
        happier with
        > speedy kites (x2) that depower better. I would place you in that
        category.
        > Heavy dudes, riding smaller boards, perform better on gruntier
        (Aero) kites.

        > Dwight
      • vcrombecq
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@c...> wrote:
          > > What would you chose?
          > >
          > > I use an Underground DT 151
          > > Weight: 63kg
          > >
          > > Thanks
          >
          > I general terms, I think lighter riders on bigger boards, are
          happier with
          > speedy kites (x2) that depower better. I would place you in that
          category.
          > Heavy dudes, riding smaller boards, perform better on gruntier
          (Aero) kites.

          > Dwight

          Thanks Dwight....one more question....

          since I have a ARX 13.5, the next size for me should be 18
          But I have been told that the X2 are very easy to hold in stronger
          winds AND that there is only a small difference between the X2 18
          and the X2 20. ...do you think the X2 20 could be a good choice to
          complement my 13.5 ARX? or is the X2 18 big enough and the X2 20 too
          big for me?
        • Dwight & Jacky
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2002
            > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@c...> wrote:
            > > > What would you chose?
            > > >
            > > > I use an Underground DT 151
            > > > Weight: 63kg
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > >
            > > I general terms, I think lighter riders on bigger boards, are
            > happier with
            > > speedy kites (x2) that depower better. I would place you in that
            > category.
            > > Heavy dudes, riding smaller boards, perform better on gruntier
            > (Aero) kites.
            > >
            > > Dwight
            >
            > Thanks Dwight....one more question....
            >
            > since I have a ARX 13.5, the next size for me should be 18
            > But I have been told that the X2 are very easy to hold in stronger
            > winds AND that there is only a small difference between the X2 18
            > and the X2 20. ...do you think the X2 20 could be a good choice to
            > complement my 13.5 ARX? or is the X2 18 big enough and the X2 20 too
            > big for me?

            I haven't flown the x2, but if you want my opinion, I'd say the 18 is big
            enough for a light weight guy. If you weighed more, 20m for sure. Jacky just
            doesn't like monster kites. They are just too much for her light weight. You
            wouldn't want a kite so big it's no fun at your light weight.

            Dwight
          • lost_coast
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
              Phil,

              You are probably oversheeting the 18.o x2

              Unlike the ARX, oversheeting the X2s actually kill power (which is
              good if you know how to use it, but can be frustrating if you are not
              aware of oversheeting. Straight out of the bag, the x2s are set up
              for full power with the bar about 3" off the chicken loop to midway
              up the chicken loop. If you are trying to waterstart and pulling the
              bar all the way to the chicken loop, you are oversheeting the kite
              and killing power (thus the "heavy" feel and the slow turning
              speed). Try pulling the adjustment strap down most of the way (which
              will shorten the center lines and bring full power closer to the
              chicken loop) and then waterstarting. You will notice quite a bit of
              difference. Some people (who prefer to have full power all the way
              down at the chicken loop) have been putting extensions on their
              leaders or pigtails to bring full power down to the chicken loop and
              still have the ability to depower the kite with the adjustment strap.

              You will know you are oversheeting the kite if you look up at the
              wingtips and they are pinching in at the trailing edge of the
              wingtip. Thy should be square with the kite in neutral at full power.

              Good luck/

            • windysite.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
                Hi,