RE: [ksurf] Boom vector new depower

  • Mark Pronk
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30, 2002
      Diogo,

      The Boom crew is away at this moment. They probably will respond to your
      email as soon as they're back in the office. I received an email from
      Richard Grauss (that's BOOM's kite-designer) the 19'th of august and they
      would be away for around two weeks. He will be back the 7th of september.

      He does answer all kite-related mail personally, which is a good thing while
      it's possible i think. Probably their quality levels are high so not too
      many complaints arrive there. Maybe i say.. I don't know. It is just that i
      was surprised that this still is possible.

      Anyway, that's prob. why they don't answer any questions. A bit of patience
      Diogo and try again the 7th...

      Have a good weekend!

      mARC

      --------------------------------------
      Have fun kiting, whatever you fly!
      http://www.foils.tk
      --------------------------------------

    • diogozero
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30, 2002
        thank´s marc. i will wait to 7 set.
        did you now more about this depower set? can you give me some
        details?

        tk´s

        diogo
      • gregwalshau
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 31, 2002
          I have been using the new Boom depower system on my Vector 9.0 for
          the past few weeks and I've just swapped my trusty 11.5 over too. I
          really like it.

          It provides for brake steering and still gives angle of attack
          adjustment. It also eliminates the cross bridling, the pulley on the
          Y-line and the extra brake line. You have to swap over the brake
          bridles. I made my own set of brake bridles and the speed system
          using instructions provided by Boom. It was easy to do and took about
          4 hours including sewing the lines and swapping stuff over. I used
          the old cross-bridle lines to make the new brake bridles.

          The front line has more load on it so I have switched over to two
          separate front lines exactly the same as any 4-line inflatable. In
          fact I'm using the same bar and line setup I used to have on my AR5s.
          This also eliminates the knot at the Y-joint which was a little
          tangle prone on the beach.

          The system gives much faster turning, simpler bar and line system,
          very light handling, better bottom end, auto-relaunch and total
          depower after landing, and control equivalent to 4-line handles. You
          really can do stunt-kite like moves on the brakes if you want to.
          It's great for side-window launching. The light bar pressure makes
          one handed riding much more comfortable.

          I have a short leash to two rear leaders. You can also do the single
          (or double) sliding rear-line leash if you want but you lose the auto-
          relaunch if you do the single. It spins about the same as an
          inflatable on one rear line.

          I still have a few brake tuning issues to sort out on my kites but
          the bottom end range seems to be better and could be much better once
          I get the brakes set just right.

          I think the top-end range is still as good but I have felt that I
          have had to edge a little more to get the top end. The feel is more
          like the lagging Flysurfer depower than the instant depower the
          Vector has always offered. I suspect this has something to do with
          the brake tuning. I'll sort it out shortly if we get some more wind
          and when the Boom guys get back from their trip and we can exchange
          some emails. Either way I've been happily zooming around on my 11.5
          in 20 knots.

          Regards

          Greg
        • Marc Munzer
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
            Hi all,

            I am arranging a kitesurf event in cooperation with Advance, Boom, and
            Flysurfer in northren denmark, the 21st and 22nd of september. It should
            be a great opportunity to see all the new foil kites in action and try
            them yourself. The location is central to norway, sweden, denmark, and
            northren germany.
            Check out the new depower rhea, the new vector, and the new psycho...

            More info at www.foilfest.com. The web page also has information on all
            the new kites. The website is updated frequently with new info.
            Best regards,

            Marc
            GoExtreme.dk
          • diogozero
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
              Greg can you take some pictures to show the kite lines and the bar?

              thanks

              diogo
            • gregwalshau
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "diogozero" <diogo@c...> wrote:
                > Greg can you take some pictures to show the kite lines and the bar?
                >
                > thanks
                >
                > diogo

                I can't really put up a picture of the new speed system. It's almost
                ready for production and Boom are a bit sensitive about other
                manufacturers getting their hands on it. If you send an email to
                Richard at Boom he is pretty happy to send instructions to their
                existing customers.

                As for the bar and lines there's not much to see. It looks exactly
                like any 4-line inflatable bar (with a leash to the back lines). Just
                imagine your Vector without the cross-bridle lines and without the
                brake line going down to the bar.

                Regards

                Greg
              • diogozero
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                  Thanks Greg, I will wait to richard answer my e mails, I´m very
                  exicting with this new break turn so far my kite have no depower so
                  it´s realy slow, I anxious to see how better the kite gone be.
                  If you have something more to explaim about the system and tunning
                  keep posting.

                  diogo
                • kitesnowboarder
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2002
                    Hi Marc
                    a nice report pon the Psycho would be sweet
                    i am really interested in this new kite
                    a nice report would be great when you fly or see it flying at your
                    event
                    thanx

                    Dan Sheridan
                    http://www.kitesurfingcanada.com
                    http://www.kitesnowboarding.net
                    Serving Canada and the USA.
                    Email: dan@...
                    Phone: 416 818 6787

                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "Marc Munzer" <mmun@i...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I am arranging a kitesurf event in cooperation with Advance, Boom,
                    and
                    > Flysurfer in northren denmark, the 21st and 22nd of september. It
                    should
                    > be a great opportunity to see all the new foil kites in action and
                    try
                    > them yourself. The location is central to norway, sweden, denmark,
                    and
                    > northren germany.
                    > Check out the new depower rhea, the new vector, and the new
                    psycho...

                    > More info at www.foilfest.com. The web page also has information on
                    all
                    > the new kites. The website is updated frequently with new info.
                    > Best regards,
                    >
                    > Marc
                    > GoExtreme.dk
                  • gregwalshau
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 9, 2002
                      Hi Marc

                      The info about the Psycho on the foilfest site is really really good.
                      I also liked your personal comments about the Vector. As it is good
                      to hear about other kites than inflatables it is also good to hear
                      about people kitesurfing with foils other than the Flysurfer.

                      Boom and Flysurfer give very detailed diagrams of their speed
                      systems. It would be good if Advance and Flexifoil and other foil
                      manufacturers gave as much detailed information about their depower
                      systems. I wonder if Airea have anything exciting up their sleeves.

                      Regards

                      Greg
                    • Marc Munzer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 9, 2002
                        I also look forward to seeing the Psycho! Will definately make a video
                        report of it when I first get to fly it.

                        Regarding depower systems, I will post pictures of the advance system this
                        week. Check back later in the week.

                        Best regards,

                        Marc
                        GoExtreme.dk