Fuerteventura 8/1 results: Ramsier, Solbach, Koch, Shinn

  • kiteskate
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      Report from Laurel Eastman:

      Day 1 (August 1) single elimination results:
      1st Marley Ramsier (Cabrinha)
      2nd Sky Solbach Naish)
      3rd Adam Koch (Naish)
      4th Marc Shinn (Naish)

      Women
      1st Cindy Mosey (North)
      2nd Anke Krischner (Cabrinha)
      3rd/4th Laurel Eastman (DaKine) and Fiona Wedening (Slingshot)

      Report nr. 3
      Date 1 August
      Place Fuerteventura
      Freestyle Single Elimination
      Perfect sunny weather, medium-strong and not as gusty of wind is
      making for a great competition. The trials for the boys were good,
      with some young guys just going off and making everyone a little bit
      nervous. Newcomer, Sky Solbach (Naish) from the Gorge and Bonaire
      was killing it, rewarded with a finish in 2nd place. Marc
      ¨Marley¨Ramsier (Cabrinha) won the freestyle today with his relaxed
      inverted style. Close behind were Adam Koch (Naish) in 3rd and Mark
      Shinn (Naish) in 4th. Robby would have been proud to see so many of
      his boys in the final today!

      The girls really proved how versatile and adapting we are, the
      conditions were challenging, but we pulled it off with style. Cindy
      Mosey (North) won again, and clinched her title as 2002 World
      Champion. I am so stoked for her, as she was my first kite
      instructor one and a half years ago in New Zealand. Anke Krischner
      (Cabrinha) came 2nd with her wakeboard style. In the race for 3rd
      and 4th was yours truely and my good friend Fiona Wedening who has
      just signed with Slingshot!

      Congrats to Fifi for that and for kicking my ass today, its so funny,
      we just take turns beating eachother it seems. But I already told
      her that for sure she will be winning our next competition in
      Silvaplana Switzerland, her home country. This girl is really
      pushing the level of all us girls, riding blind and pulling smooth
      one-foot front rolls.

      So that is the latest, the event has been awesome today and hopefully
      it will be great tommorow! Good winds, safe kiting and Aloha!
      Laurel Eastman
    • kiteskate
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
        Official Press Release, 8/1/02

        CONTACT: PKRA Media Director

        Kat Tracy

        Pkramedia@...

        PKRA-FUERTEVENTURA WORLD TOUR OPEN- ONE WILD RIDE!

        (Fuerteventura, Spain-August 1, 2002)-With a sensational `Big
        Top´opening tent party, replete with professional male and female
        strippers, the fourth PKRA World Tour event in Fuerteventura got
        under way. Following on the heels of the 17th Fuerteventura PWA
        Windsurf World Cup, with seasoned partygoers remaining to witness
        kiteboarding in one of the most extreme wind locations of the world,
        the legendary strong and gusty tradewinds blanketed the beach today,
        and afforded a swift finish of both the Qualifications for Men and
        Freestyle Single Elimination Results for the Men and Women.

        Registration closed on the 31st of July with 13 Women and 44 Men
        ready to tackle the ting and challenging conditions here in
        Fuerteventura, requiring 28 men to compete for 16 open slots into the
        Main Event. No wild cards were given, thereby allotting a full 16
        seats available for the men competing in a single round Qualification
        Event. With winds up early, of the typical gusty, strong offshore
        conditions variety and in the 25-35 knot range- it allowed an 11am
        start for the Qualifiers: 8 heats of 3-4 men were run with 2
        advancing straight into the Main field of 32 men. Throughout the day,
        heats were run for 8 minutes with 3 minute transitions. Coming out of
        the Qualifiers were:

        Christian Brouwer NL Wipika
        Ofri Argov IS
        Leon VandeKruys NL
        Simone Vanucci ITA RRD
        Alvaro Oneiva ESP Slingshot
        Jonathan Bemporad ITA Wipika
        Lombardo ITA
        Nacho Yuste ESP North
        Yoann Kerherve ESP
        Jose Luengo ESP AirRush
        Gieuni Aragno ESP Slingshot
        Jesús Fernández VZ Wipika
        Giampaolo DeCarlos ITA Naish
        Francesco Guguelmetti ITA Wipika
        Alex Tritton FRA Cabrinha
        Sky Solbach USA Naish

        The Womens´ Freestyle Event had the usual suspects advancing from
        round one into the quarter finals in the intimadating high pressure
        conditions-including, Eastman USA, evil twin,Wolthers USA (we´re
        happy to see back on Tour, thanks to Gaastra!), Kirchner GER,
        Kollbichtler AUT,Wedenig SUI, Dórtoli FRA, Bunton UK, and the
        unstoppable Mosey NZL. In the woman on woman Quarter round-Eastman
        took out Wolthers, Kirchner advanced over Kollbichtler, Wedenig beat
        Dórtoli, and Mosey swept by Bunton. In the Semi-Finals, Kirchner
        proved that the wakeboard is still competitive in these trying
        conditions, when she passed over Eastman. Mosey demonstrated her
        finesse as she toppled Wedenig. In the losers final, Wedenig managed
        some clean landings on more technical moves to secure a Third Place
        finish over Eastman. And, Mosey managed to hold her ground in a close
        heat against Kirchner, securing her First Place out of the Singles.

        In the Mens´ Freestyle Discipline, pre-seeds James USA, Ramseier SUI,
        Herraiz ESP, DeJong NDL, Shinn UK, Tyburski USA, Koch USA, Cattelan
        FRA, Philip ANT, Kellner SA, Vari ARG all advanced out of round one
        into the round of 16. Out of this round Herraiz, Ramseier, Tyburski,
        Shinn, Koch, Cattelan, and Vari advanced into the Quarters, with
        upsetter, Solbach USA, from the Qualifiers. In the Quarters, Ramseier
        stopped Herraiz, Shinn held his notoriety as a Tour force while
        taking down Tyburski, Koch outshined normally fluid Cattelan, and
        Solbach was able to overcome an injury recovering Vari. An upset
        occurred in the Semi-Finals, whereby a consistent and dynamic
        Ramseier held a solid winning finals position against Shinn. Koch was
        forced to concede in a tight heat to Solbach. With winds unrelenting,
        and conditions getting more flukey, Koch received a Third Place over
        Shinn. In the winners final heat, Marc Ramseier performed a tireless
        and powered performance to clench a First Place over Solbach.

        WOMENS FREESTYLE SINGLE RESULTS:

        1st Place Cindy Mosey NZL North
        2nd Place Anke Kirchner GER Cabrinha
        3rd Place Fiona Wedenig SUI Slingshot
        4th Place Laurel Eastman USA North
        5th Place Rebecca Wolthers USA Gaastra
        5th Place Ingrid Kollbichtler AUT Naish
        5th Place ´ Fabienne D´ortoli FRA Cabrinha
        5th Place Claire Bunton UK Takoon
        9th Place Sofia Rodriguez ESP
        9th Place Andrea Wharry UK Flexifoil
        9th Place Peral Martines ESP North
        9th Place Tuva Jansen NOR Wipika
        9th Place Kristin Boese GER RRD

        MENS FREESTYLE SINGLE RESULTS:

        1st Place Marc Ramseier SUI Cabrinha
        2nd Place Sky Solbach USA Naish
        3rd Place Adam Koch USA Naish
        4th Place Mark Shinn UK Naish
        5th Place Jaime Herraiz ESP North
        5th Place Dave Tyburski USA Wipika
        5th Place Sebastain Cattelan FRA Wipika
        5th Place Martin Vari ARG Cabrinha
        9th Place Will James USA North
        9th Place Christain Brouwer NDL Wipika
        9th Place Alvaro Oneiva ESP Slingshot
        9th Place Steph De Jong NDL Wipika
        9th Place Andre Philip ANT Cabrinha
        9th Place Johann Kerherve ESP
        9th Place Steve Kellner SA Slingshot
        9th Place Francesco Guguelmetti ITA Wipika
        17th Place Ruud Overwater NDL Wipika
        17th Place Simone Vanucci ITA RRD
        17th Place Jonathan Bemporad ITA Wipika
        17th Place Lombardo ITA
        17th Place Mauricio Toscano MEX RRD
        17th Place Gieuni Argano ESP Slingshot
        17th Place Giaimpaulo DeCarolis ITA Naish
        17th Place Danny Seales UK Flexifoil
        25th Place Ofri Argove IS
        25th Place Leon Vandekruys NDL
        25th Place Abel Lago ESP Slingshot
        25th Place Nacho yuste ESP North
        25th Place Jose Luengo ESP AirRush
        25th Place Jesus Fernandes VEN Wipika
        25th Place Flash Austin USA Naish
        25th Place Alex Tritten FRA Cabrinha

        The Double Elimination Freestyle Event will commence at 11am
        tomorrow, with winds allowing.

        For Infos:
        www.pkra.info
        For Media Inquiries: