Re: Kiteboarding on Lake Superior??

  • jzman23
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Not Sure about Bayfield but the water is warm there (~70F).

      http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/glsea/glsea.gif

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "erick92882" <erik@w...> wrote:
      > Hello
      > Going to Bayfeild Wisconsin in a couple of weeks. Is there any
      place
      > to kite and how cold is the water in Aug.?.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Erik
    • hink_trent
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        Don't be so sure. The water temp can vary quite a bit depending on
        the wind direction. The warm and cool water layers tend to stay
        seperated in the Great Lakes and there is very little friction
        between the layers so the wind blows all the warm water to the lee
        side of the lake. I have not been to Bayfield but I go to Munising,
        MI (UP) every August (next week) and the water temp. there can vary
        between refreshingly cool on a north wind and icy cold steamer or
        drysuit conditions on a south wind.

        I suspect Bayfield is similar with the water being pretty warm on a
        NE wind and very cold on a SW.