Kiteboarding on Lake Superior??

  • erick92882
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hello
      Going to Bayfeild Wisconsin in a couple of weeks. Is there any place
      to kite and how cold is the water in Aug.?.

      Thanks
      Erik
    • jzman23
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        Not Sure about Bayfield but the water is warm there (~70F).

        http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/glsea/glsea.gif

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "erick92882" <erik@w...> wrote:
        > Hello
        > Going to Bayfeild Wisconsin in a couple of weeks. Is there any
        place
        > to kite and how cold is the water in Aug.?.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Erik
      • hink_trent
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
          Don't be so sure. The water temp can vary quite a bit depending on
          the wind direction. The warm and cool water layers tend to stay
          seperated in the Great Lakes and there is very little friction
          between the layers so the wind blows all the warm water to the lee
          side of the lake. I have not been to Bayfield but I go to Munising,
          MI (UP) every August (next week) and the water temp. there can vary
          between refreshingly cool on a north wind and icy cold steamer or
          drysuit conditions on a south wind.

          I suspect Bayfield is similar with the water being pretty warm on a
          NE wind and very cold on a SW.